Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. does anyone know the max wattage or amps that can be plugged into the outlet - ie inverter rating

2. can it be replaced with an upgraded inverter.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Excellent question. In for the response.

·
Registered
863 Posts
About 100 watts... Enough for a laptop computer and cell phone charger. Or a Barbie dream house maybe. Upgrading to a 2000 watt inverter would require a couple more Touareg batteries in parallel, really large 8 gauge supply wires, and a monstrous alternator upgrade to keep the Touareg running with that kind of draw.

A 2000 watt inverter at 120VAC output is 16.7 amps. But at the 12 volt supply side that is 167 amps. This draw down one Touareg starting battery very quickly. A 2000 watt inverter is significantly larger than a 100 watt inverter, so you would have to mount it in the trunk area. The supply cables would be as big as your thumb in diameter in order to carry the 167 amps at full 2000 watt load. And you still might not have enough to run more than a refrigerator or TV system. Most AC window units need more than 2000 watts on startup.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Do they not have generators in NJ these days?
The suggested upgrade seems absurd in terms on feasibility in comparison to such a readily available and low cost solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your replies.
Had run some numbers and 100 watts would be about it and amps extremely low.
where i live in NJ you can NOT have a portable generator. the price of permanently installed gensets are very expensive.

Looking at home solar generators (battery based). The Touareg and solar panels can be used to charge the solar gen.
Many of these systems are now hitting the market - from camping to home use.

again - thanks

·
Registered
863 Posts
Your best bet is a portable gas generator somewhere between 5000-10000 watts. And have an electrician install a transfer switch on your house breaker box. When you have a power failure, fire up your generator (OUTDOORS!!!) and power the appliances you need.
I run my household needs with a Honda EU2000i generator. The only thing I cannot run is the ground source heat pump that supplies my heat and A/C (required over 3600 watts running). No hot water heater either.
But I can have my fridge, lights, computer, and television. I have portable propane stove for cooking/coffee, plus city water I can still bathe and flush the toilet.
Get a generator that fits your requirements, but if you want A/C in the summertime, or electric hot water heater or clothes dryer, electric stove/oven, you'll need a big generator.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
He said "emergency", so I would suspect that he would only need to sustain very few things like basic appliances and lights... not a full blown backup genset.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TurboABA - yes my application is only for home emergency power loss. recently from SS sandy i lost power for close to 7 days and just a few weeks ago for 3 days.
as i wrote

"Looking at home solar generators (battery based). Many of these systems are now hitting the market - from camping to home use.
The Touareg and solar panels can be used to charge the solar gen"

many "portable" units range from 500w and up. they are "self contained" battery, inverters etc. most with the ability to recharge with solar, A.C. or auto cig lighter.

no noise and are made to bring into home/RV etc. I'm not trying to sell the idea just that a vehicle could be used to charge the battery.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I'd suggest looking at Tesla Powerwall for your home and a cheap Amazon style unit for your "portable" RV needs.
You have some crap weather in your hood.... I recall having to deal with massive flooding back in my Waterfest attending days.... so all that being considered, I'm not sure a solar array will be that efficient around there.

I'm not following the "use the Touareg" to charge the battery approach..... are you saying you're better off running a 3L diesel to do this, vs a dedicated 200cc or less gas portable generator? Maybe look into a WEN 56200I ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
TurboABA - that would be nice - but $$$$$.
the Tesla Powerwall runs between 10K-16K installed. A Generac 20Kw natural gas is about 10k to 14K installed.

the cost is the reason i'm looking into a "solar generator" - 3000W unit for frig. tv etc. may not have all hooked up at once - cost anywhere from 1,500. and up - without solar panels.

these types of unit need to be charged via solar panels, direct A.C.(when you have power) or auto cig lighter.
The last is where the Touareg comes in by using the 110V outlet - just to help charge the solar generator as it's battery, and will need to be charged as the solar generator is used up.
there's a few "solar generators" that i'v looked at - Titan, Bluetti, etc. take a look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts