Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably a perennial pain but I have to ask for assistance regarding the latest 2020 tyre recommendations for my 7P MY17 Treg. Currently running the original 20" wheels and tyres but we're contemplating a trip from Victoria to Darwin through the centre and then returning through central Queensland (when we're allowed) and I'm not sure I'm comfortable running the 20's on some of the dirt roads we'll probably encounter. Definitely no really tough stuff but rougher than suburban.
Seems like there's a few options for 18" wheels on fleabay at the moment so what are your recommendations for ATR tyres. I'll revert to the 20's when we return.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
MY18 (P7) - Black V6 TDI Touareg
124 Posts
Ditto here... keen to hear the opinions as in time this will be my goal too.
I am guessing that the 18" rims with suitable tyres are a better option, also probably easier to get replacement rubber for although not relishing the look of my Touareg without it's 20" wheels.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Pirelli ..... Michelin ..... are spoken of highly by many members ... i just mounted

or go all out with BFG's or coopers etc etc

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,109 Posts
I am yet to do any off-road work with my 19" Scorpion ATR+ but I am very happy with them in a metro environment. Slight increase in fuel economy, but the fact that the un-blemished 21" 's are sitting in the garage and not chewing up that expensive rubber is worthwhile.

+1 for the Scorpion's

Reactions: Singh

·
Learner
5,088 Posts
Scorpion at plus, Michelin, wranglers, etc...

·
Registered
2014 V6 TDI 180kW with Interior Comfort Package and Sunroof
47 Posts
Depends how much of the folding stuff you want to part with for a limited amount of use. I ran Nexen Roadian A/T's on my 7L for 12 months before selling it. Had done 350000 km on them and about 1/2 worn and about 30% gravel and site use and didn't let me down. About 200-250 a pop so good value. When the highway tyres on my 7P are U/S will consider them again or blow the budget with Cooper, Pirelli, Toyo A/T's as this one is a long term keeper.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.
Looks like I might give either the Pirelli's or Michelin's a go but will wait until I get the wheels toward the end of the year.
Stay safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would search nearby junk yards for a set of 18" wheels from a wreck, or maybe find a deal from someone who upgraded an older vehicle to larger wheels for street performance. It might also be wise to carry a full size spare for the outback. I have a 2016 R-Line that I bought from a wholesale auto dealer. They had replaced the front tires, but not the rears since they still had legal tread left. I wanted to replace the rears to match the new fronts, Sailun brand from China. I was a little skeptical about Chinese products and couldn't source them from any local tire dealers, but I purchased a pair online. They ride quiet, handle well and after 30,000 miles still have over 50% tread left. I am quite impressed with how well they perform, especially for a lower priced tire. Sailun started out producing tire manufacturing equipment and truck tires before adding passenger and SUV tires. In my opinion, Sailun makes as good a tire as the top brands and for a better price.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I’ll be putting a set of Nitto Trail Grappler or Toyo Open Country III on my T3 for my next set.

265/50R20 if I stick with 20” wheels

or

265/55R18 if I go 18” wheels. These are both XL rated 110 or 114 load rating.

They also make a 285/40R20 but it’s an E rated tire.

These may be a good option for you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I purchased 2 sets of as new 18" Cayenne wheels from Ebay I think $350-400 per set of 4. Tyres are Bridgestone Dueler AT 265/60/18 and have done 2 trips covering approx. 40,000k, towing a large van, tyres are very good, low wear, low noise, good grip and no punctures, and we did a lot of off road work. Good Luck

(Your photo looks like at TR7/8 lapping Sandown, spent some track time there myself :))

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again guys.
Your suggestions added to the knowledge base.
Very good pickup denod. The TR7V8 is lots of fun and can be very challenging but gives us a lot of pleasure on track days. Sandown is fun but PI is a whole lot better :giggle:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another +1 for Scorpion ATR+. Have these in 17s on my 2014 and really happy with them. Done more than 10K klms towing 2.8t van, used on and off road and really happy. No signs of adverse wear from the towing. They have become a bit noisier in the last little while but I'll tolerate that for the capability in dirt and even moderate mud

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know this is probably a perennial pain but I have to ask for assistance regarding the latest 2020 tyre recommendations for my 7P MY17 Treg. Currently running the original 20" wheels and tyres but we're contemplating a trip from Victoria to Darwin through the centre and then returning through central Queensland (when we're allowed) and I'm not sure I'm comfortable running the 20's on some of the dirt roads we'll probably encounter. Definitely no really tough stuff but rougher than suburban.
Seems like there's a few options for 18" wheels on fleabay at the moment so what are your recommendations for ATR tyres. I'll revert to the 20's when we return.
Thanks in advance.
Hi Markus 1 . A mate of mine put Yokohama Geolander on his 20 inch rims and went all the way from Bowral to Cape York (took a spare full size as well) and had absolutely no drama. So I put same tyres on my Treg and so far no drama towing Van but have not done real rough roads as yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Markus 1 . A mate of mine put Yokohama Geolander on his 20 inch rims and went all the way from Bowral to Cape York (took a spare full size as well) and had absolutely no drama. So I put same tyres on my Treg and so far no drama towing Van but have not done real rough roads as yet.
That is a good idea Kurt. Did you purchase a 5th wheel? Was it a genuine rim? Did your mate purchase a new Treg rim? Did he leave the space-saver at home? There is some good storage under that rear mat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is a good idea Kurt. Did you purchase a 5th wheel? Was it a genuine rim? Did your mate purchase a new Treg rim? Did he leave the space-saver at home? There is some good storage under that rear mat.
Hi Harry. Yes he had a full size spare on the back of his Van on original spare he got from a wrecker but Audi or Porsche will fit also. I am also doing the same and think the Yokohama will do the job for me. They do a pay for three and 4th is free at the moment so it works out roughly the same as the others. I think some of the Off Road addicts comments here are for the Diehards who really take on the real heavy duty stuff but for what I do they are just fine. Good Luck Mate! K

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased 2 sets of as new 18" Cayenne wheels from Ebay I think $350-400 per set of 4. Tyres are Bridgestone Dueler AT 265/60/18 and have done 2 trips covering approx. 40,000k, towing a large van, tyres are very good, low wear, low noise, good grip and no punctures, and we did a lot of off road work. Good Luck

(Your photo looks like at TR7/8 lapping Sandown, spent some track time there myself :))
Hi Denod, I'm trying to do the same thing at the moment with the 18" Cayenne rims on ebay but the prices have gone up. Supply and demand I guess, got a price of $1250 for 5 2014 rims in good condition. Was your set out of Melbourne?
Thanks, Peter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Harry. Yes he had a full size spare on the back of his Van on original spare he got from a wrecker but Audi or Porsche will fit also. I am also doing the same and think the Yokohama will do the job for me. They do a pay for three and 4th is free at the moment so it works out roughly the same as the others. I think some of the Off Road addicts comments here are for the Diehards who really take on the real heavy duty stuff but for what I do they are just fine. Good Luck Mate! K
Thanks Kurtie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts