Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please advise what tyre size options I have.
I have a 2008 V6 TDI and I currently have 235/65 R17 on the vehicle.
I have been told by some tyre salesman that I cannot up size as it may damage the gearbox or differential.
I find this hard to believe as winter tyres and snow chains can be fitted on the car.
Also what is the maximum size I can go to on this vehicle?
Many thanks from Cape Town

·
Registered
785 Posts
235/65 R17 is one of the standard sizes - whether you can go up in size AND fit chains, I don't know

Logically, you can go up as long as all four are the same - I'm planning to fit 245/65 R17 next time around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
235/65 R17 is one of the standard sizes - whether you can go up in size AND fit chains, I don't know Logically, you can go up as long as all four are the same - I'm planning to fit 245/65 R17 next time around.
Thank BG. I just found a thread that covers tyre sizes extensively. I won't ever be needing snow chains in South Africa.
From reading through the thread it seems that I could easily go up to 265/65 R17 without any rubbing.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It you were only trying to buy a pair of tyres, the salesman is quite correct.

As above you MUST always fit four IDENTICAL tyres - same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern, same tread depth.

As long as you are buying 4 tyres then you can increase the size up to maximum overall diameter of 31.5 inches but then NO chains!

Look on the tyre pressure placard and it should show the other alternative OEM 17 inch size which is 255/60/17 106 loading.

Anyway, here's what you could fit if you want to . . .

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2427967

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks noobytoogy. My tyre pressure placard only has 2 options for R17 (235/65 108V and 255/60 106V)
Does that mean I should not go any wider than 255?
Also what is the difference between 108V and 106V?
Much obliged 😄

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
What are you actually trying to achieve?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am due for a tyre replacement and I was just looking to go for a bigger tyre size for a change. The current tyres have always looked a bit small for the vehicle. 95% of my driving is onroad. Thanks again

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Regardless of the wheel size, all OEM wheel/tyre combinations for the Touareg are 29 inches overall diameter, give or take a fraction or two.

Play with different tyre sizes on here, then see what's available locally:

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts