Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm setting up a set of 18" wheel / AT tyres for extended caravan towing and semi off road work.

R-Line standard tyre overall diameter is approx. 750mm.

18" wheels are required to clear R-line brake calipers

I have narrowed my two tyre option sizes down to:

265/60/18 with OD of 775mm and 265/65/18 with OD of 800mm

The aspect ratio of 65 would be better for off road work.

The question:

Has anyone had experience with 800mm OD tyres on a T3 ?

My main concern is if the tyres will rub on suspension/body due to the 50mm increase in diameter.

I'm not too concerned with gearing/speedo accuracy changes but happy to receive comments on other aspects of the proposed change. eg: tyre makes etc, but am currently thinking BFG A/T KO2

thanks for any assistance.

Dene

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dave,

The answer isn't too straight forward, tyre sizes are nominal not exact. I have a set of 265/65-17 Pirelli ATR's as off roaders on our T3 , I've had the same size Coopers on a Prado and my Son has BFG 265's on a HiLux, the Pirelli's are at least 20mm narrower than the two others at the tread face and are not as tall.

So, as Sol might say, "265's aint 265's".

Anyway, I reckon Pirelli 265/65-18's would be ok but I doubt either Coopers or BFG's would.

FWIW, I was surprised and disappointed how small the 265/65-17's look, they fit comfortably. If I were doing it again I'd go Hankook 265/65-17's or Pirelli 265/70-17's.

I realise this doesn't specifically answer your question but it may help.

Regards,

Greg

·
Registered
344 Posts
G'day
My opinion is - you've just gotta try em on. Maybe they will rub on the inner guard but maybe not. And I'd go for the biggest diameter that will fit...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I run 265 65 r17 Continental, cross contact AT. Before I had the Pirelli ATR's. I would stay away from BF's, they consistently rate badly in every tyre test. The conti's are noisy the Pirelli's were not. I would also look at the Gereral Grabbler AT . Stay with the 60 profile. Check with your insurance company due to the power of the R line you may not be insured with 65 profile.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm setting up a set of 18" wheel / AT tyres for extended caravan towing and semi off road work.

R-Line standard tyre overall diameter is approx. 750mm.

18" wheels are required to clear R-line brake calipers

I have narrowed my two tyre option sizes down to:

265/60/18 with OD of 775mm and 265/65/18 with OD of 800mm

The aspect ratio of 65 would be better for off road work.

The question:

Has anyone had experience with 800mm OD tyres on a T3 ?

My main concern is if the tyres will rub on suspension/body due to the 50mm increase in diameter.

I'm not too concerned with gearing/speedo accuracy changes but happy to receive comments on other aspects of the proposed change. eg: tyre makes etc, but am currently thinking BFG A/T KO2

thanks for any assistance.

Dene
Dene, I use Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/60 R18s and they are 775mm diameter new. Pirelli only make a 255/60 R18 and 265/60 R18 (for 18 inch rims). At 775mm there is no issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts