Club Touareg Forum banner

[TX] Touareg NEWBIE

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  volkswagens-for-life 
#1 ·
hello everyone! Im Adam from Texas and I'm new to the club Touareg forums
(bare with me this will be a long post

I recently purchased a 2008 vr6 with 81.7k miles at auction as a runner - all wheel drive indicator on - air bag light on. I went to pick it up day of and quickly found some problems. First thing was battery was dead. no biggie I figured. I got it charged, turned it on and the car wouldn't stay on by itself I had to give it gas. Got that squared away and it started running right, but the dash/instrument lights started flickering on/off. ESP light is on. I thought it was a charge problem so I gave it some more gas and a couple minutes later it stopped.

Now I was ready to head on home, I put it in reverse and went on my way. As I started to get up to speed again down the parking lot the dash light issue started again only this time with a small sputter. I pulled back into the lot and parked it called it a day as I didn't feel comfortable driving it home like that.

Ive been endlessly researching possible causes/fixes to the solutions that are happening and have come to conclusions that it may be suffering from the alt/batt cable low voltage issue or just that the alt needs to be replaced.
As For the awd light could it be a bad stepper motor? I can't quite make out the reason for the esp light yet. (multiple probable causes)

I plan on just taking it to the dealer to have and check all recalls done. (software updates etc) as A lot of my reading has consisted of many others with similar issues doing the same and ended up with the dealer resolving the issues. Although they didn't state if it was for a recall or just covered under warranty work. Simply stated "when I got to the dealer they KNEW of such problem and got it taken care of" Should I be prepared to have to pay out of pocket for said issues above or would said issues be eligible to be taken care of under recall if applicable.

Ill be back tomorrow to check out the car again with a dmm to verify alt voltage and such but until then was do you guys think my best option / approach to the car is.

My whole story here may be scattered all over the place and I may be getting ahead of myself on things but bare with me I'm just trying to have hope that I didn't get screwed out this deal to have a paperweight in my driveway

any help and input is greatly appreciated! thank you!

See less See more
#3 ·
i Don’t think so. It was sold as is runner
All sales final no refunds

I was told I can take it back if there was anything wrong that wasn’t mentioned which is called arbitration.

I’m going to push it on them tomorrow to undo the purchase.

#5 ·
^Agreed w/ Blownvette.. Volkswagens (most German cars..) NEED a 100% healthy, fully charged battery or crazy stuff happens that just makes no sense. Make sure its a NEW battery, and make sure its producing its rated voltage/cca for starters.

Next, throw vagcom on it and see where it takes you. Its possible some of those errors are tied together by one fault.. maybe a speed sensor or something even.

Reactions: Mike in Anchorage
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.