Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,304 Posts
Your ECU needs to be flashed with new software. Not possible with VCDS/ODIS etc.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,304 Posts
What different does its make with EGR turn off. ?
With the EGR disabled, no dirty exhaust will enter the intake manifold and cylinders. This keeps a lot of the dirty black sludge out of the intake, thus keeping them cleaner and not coked up.

Reactions: Bluey42

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,304 Posts
Performance wise probably not really, directly. In theory yes, as you will be getting 100% pure fresh cool oxygen into the engine, not a mixture of warm exhaust gasses. Indirectly yes as you’ll no longer have carbon fouling the intake and valves.

Reactions: Bluey42

·
Registered
3 Posts
Again. Thanks for your answer...

So my last question is..
In my theory. There will be more black sod coming out my pipes and can give me this problem. That is. In my country. Denmark. We are calling in for controlling our car. Where they are tjekking a lot of things. Including how much sod there is coming out my pipes with a digital instrument..

Give my question some reality for you... ?

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you disable the EGR (by any means) a few things will happen. Less soot out the exhaust - but that does not matter as the DPF will catch that soot anyway. More importantly NOX emissions will increase and you will fail the testing you mention.

Remap may not be the only way to disable.

Some other Diesels can be fooled to think they are running at a low temperature with a resistor inserted in series with the appropriate sensor. EGR does not function at low temperatures. This hack was found out when Toyotas were failing NOX emissions in Japan when tested at very low ambient temperatures. But if you do this you will still fail the testing but at least such a hack is quick to add / remove.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,304 Posts
EGR actually does operate at low temperatures, as it assists in warming up the engine. The hot gasses heat the coolant in the EGR cooler and heat up the engine faster. EGR flow detection is based on more than one sensor, it’s the MAF, O2 and NOX sensors, etc. a resistor isn’t going to do much, and is highly not recommended to fool the ECU into thinking the wrong engine temperature. That’s shoddy and prevents optimal engine performance.

I’m not sure how testing is done in your part of the world, but here in BC, Canada it was a simple OBD test (we no longer have any testing). If various components were tuned out (EGR, DPF, Cat, etc) it would still pass as there wouldn’t be any codes stored.

Many years ago I had a highly tuned MK4 TDI that was definitely not emissions compliant. I took it in for testing (the last year we had such a thing) and it passed. They plug in their OBD, it read no codes, I paid $23 and was on my way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts