Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I was just wondering if there is any way to turn off adaptive cruise control using VAG-Com or any other method so that it would become regular old run of the mill cruise control?

If not, is there a way to retrofit a 2015 Exec with the proper control modules for regular cruise control?
If anyone has done this I'd appreciate any info. Thanks

I've tried for 6 months now to get used to the ACC but alas I hate it even more as time goes on. Not going into details as the thread could get derailed as i'm sure most of you disagree with my reasons.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
You sure it is functioning properly? Could be a problem with it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If I could trade you my regular Cruise Control for your ACC, I would. Too bad nothing's that easy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm really curious as to why you would like to turn it off? In what situations do you find it not to be what you want from cruise control?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really curious as to why you would like to turn it off? In what situations do you find it not to be what you want from cruise control?
As I said I'm not going into the details. Read buckwheats 2016 Lux Review. Much of what I dislike buckwheat covered well in his review.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Maybe if you removed the ACC module(s) and sensor and then reprogrammed the central electronics module????

You might risk bricking some modules, that way, however. So be careful!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
As I said I'm not going into the details. Read buckwheats 2016 Lux Review. Much of what I dislike buckwheat covered well in his review.
Got a link for it as I cant find it. My original question was directed at buckwheat by the way. Apologies for not quoting him.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
When I installed ACC on my 08 there were options in vcds software of different settings. I would think if you unplug the module in front the changed the steering wheel program to regular cruise control and remove front assist as an installed option you should be fine to have regular cruise control. I'm not sure my year to yours if anything would be different though.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I'm guessing what you don't like is the ACC braking "unnecessarily" when the car ahead of you starts a turning maneuver. Like the car ahead moves into a center turn lane, and the Touareg slows down.

If that's what's bugging you I've found that if I make a small steering correction in the opposite direction, that behavior is mostly overridden. So car ahead of you is moving to the center turn lane (left of you), turn very slightly to the right, away from the car that's turning.

Yes there are occasions when I temporarily disable ACC until driving conditions return to normal. But for the most part I really like the feature.

What mode is your ACC set to: Comfort, Normal, or Sport?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
No sure OP issue. But I love my ACC. I override the braking by slightly pressing gas. But it helps me big time especially on long drives.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What mode is your ACC set to: Comfort, Normal, or Sport?
Its in Sport. I also used VAG com to set the default distance to very close otherwise it would default back to the farthest away setting after the ignition is turned off.

Seems i'm not going to get anywhere in this thread without explaining myself. Alright here goes......

My biggest annoyance is how soon it applies the brakes when approaching another car. And the bigger the speed differential the sooner it brakes. I normally drive on the freeway at 140km/hr and if there's a vehicle travelling at say 100km/hr in front of me the touareg piles on the brakes way way WAY too early. Also with cars travelling only slightly less than me the Touraeg will usually hit the brakes right at the worst possible time when I've started a lane change and I have a diminishing size gap to fit into the fast lane. Drives me mental.

So its more about my driving habits, which are aggressive. and which most of you probably don't like. Having said that, I'm not a tailgater, or at least i'm not an extreme tail-gater who gets inside a couple car lengths. But for my driving habits, the ACC is an extreme annoyance and not particularly useful at all, except in bumper to bumper traffic with no hope for escape. That is the only situation I find it useful.

The theres the driving habits of others. Hopefully I don't offend any Albertans here but "Most" drivers in my area simply don't know how to use a multi-lane highway. Everyone goes straight for the left lane regardless of speed and they won't move even with miles of open road ahead of them. The only thing that seems to make some driver move is if they notice a vehicle travelling much faster than they are approaching quickly, or if you spend 30seconds to 5 minutes a few car lengths from their bumper. Both situations are nullified by the ACC since it slows down so early that the offending car doesn't notice how much faster you are driving. And once its slowed down it leaves too much space between you and the car in front of you to communicate your intention to pass.
Now I hope many of you don't suffer from similar drivers and you may not have these issues. I grew up on the east coast where the signs said "Keep right Expect to Pass" and thats what people did. Not the case here in western Canada. The signs here say "Slower Traffic Keep Right". I swear most people interpret this as "If i'm not travelling slow, then I'm required to be in the left lane". Problem is, what is slow?

Most people just do undertaking maneuvers and pass in the right lane. I'm against that, I feel its unsafe and should not be necessary. I always stay in the right lane as long as possible, make my pass, then move back ASAP. The ACC is a major PITA using this driving style. It requires continuous intevention, and then when intervening with the ACC my speed display is continously flipping back and forth between unuseful ACC messages and is very distracting.

Flame away!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I installed ACC on my 08 there were options in vcds software of different settings. I would think if you unplug the module in front the changed the steering wheel program to regular cruise control and remove front assist as an installed option you should be fine to have regular cruise control. I'm not sure my year to yours if anything would be different though.

I tried something similar to this. I went into Vag Com and unselected "ACC Module Installed".

This left me with lots of warning lights and no cruise control at all. I think theres possibly a way to do it but it will require more coding in the various modules, and possibly a new module for regular cruise.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The theres the driving habits of others. Hopefully I don't offend any Albertans here but "Most" drivers in my area simply don't know how to use a multi-lane highway. Everyone goes straight for the fast lane regardless of speed and they won't move even with miles of open road ahead of them. The only thing that seems to make some driver move is if they notice a vehicle travelling much faster than they are approaching quickly, or if you spend 30seconds to 5 minutes a few car lengths from their bumper.
If it makes you feel any better, there are a lot of the same morons on the road here in MN.

For gods sake people, MTF over and stay right.

Drove out to Colorado a year ago. Miles from anywhere. Hardly any cars on the road. Every single MN driver (and most WI drivers) I passed was in the left lane, even though the right lane was wide open. Every. Single. One.

What kills me even more is when they speed up when you pass them on the right. It's laughable. Too many unskilled and unaware drivers out there.

Sorry, I've veered us way off topic to the original post about ACC.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
'Slower Traffic Keep Right' is used here. Same type of driver here, too. But, like you wrote, maybe it's your driving style...agree there should be an option to have regular cruise control.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Its in Sport. I also used VAG com to set the default distance to very close otherwise it would default back to the farthest away setting after the ignition is turned off.

Seems i'm not going to get anywhere in this thread without explaining myself. Alright here goes......

My biggest annoyance is how soon it applies the brakes when approaching another car. And the bigger the speed differential the sooner it brakes. I normally drive on the freeway at 140km/hr and if there's a vehicle travelling at say 100km/hr in front of me the touareg piles on the brakes way way WAY too early. Also with cars travelling only slightly less than me the Touraeg will usually hit the brakes right at the worst possible time when I've started a lane change and I have a diminishing size gap to fit into the fast lane. Drives me mental.

So its more about my driving habits, which are aggressive. and which most of you probably don't like. Having said that, I'm not a tailgater, or at least i'm not an extreme tail-gater who gets inside a couple car lengths. But for my driving habits, the ACC is an extreme annoyance and not particularly useful at all, except in bumper to bumper traffic with no hope for escape. That is the only situation I find it useful.

The theres the driving habits of others. Hopefully I don't offend any Albertans here but "Most" drivers in my area simply don't know how to use a multi-lane highway. Everyone goes straight for the left lane regardless of speed and they won't move even with miles of open road ahead of them. The only thing that seems to make some driver move is if they notice a vehicle travelling much faster than they are approaching quickly, or if you spend 30seconds to 5 minutes a few car lengths from their bumper. Both situations are nullified by the ACC since it slows down so early that the offending car doesn't notice how much faster you are driving. And once its slowed down it leaves too much space between you and the car in front of you to communicate your intention to pass.
Now I hope many of you don't suffer from similar drivers and you may not have these issues. I grew up on the east coast where the signs said "Keep right Expect to Pass" and thats what people did. Not the case here in western Canada. The signs here say "Slower Traffic Keep Right". I swear most people interpret this as "If i'm not travelling slow, then I'm required to be in the left lane". Problem is, what is slow?

Most people just do undertaking maneuvers and pass in the right lane. I'm against that, I feel its unsafe and should not be necessary. I always stay in the right lane as long as possible, make my pass, then move back ASAP. The ACC is a major PITA using this driving style. It requires continuous intevention, and then when intervening with the ACC my speed display is continously flipping back and forth between unuseful ACC messages and is very distracting.

Flame away!
The problem is that you are a person who wants to be a driver. ACC is for lemmings that want to be passengers.

For the lemming, you get behind another lemming and you turn on ACC and shut off your brain and just follow along however the leader of the pack wants to go. It works great as long as you let someone else do the driving.

If you want to pick your own speed of travel and pass the lemmings going slower or get passed by those going faster, it means YOU want to be in control. ACC is not good for that. If you can't disable the ACC, perhaps you could get a labatomy and become a lemming?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts