Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a blown turbo (it seems) and a quote from a dealer for $4200+ to replace. Vehicle only done 86000K's. Together with the EGR cooler replacement a few months ago, this Treg has cost over $5000 in repairs in 9 months. Anyone have any idea where I could get a replacement turbo from at a reasonable price? I have no problem buying internationally.

Thanks, Gus

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Hi all,

I have a blown turbo (it seems) and a quote from a dealer for $4200+ to replace. Vehicle only done 86000K's. Together with the EGR cooler replacement a few months ago, this Treg has cost over $5000 in repairs in 9 months. Anyone have any idea where I could get a replacement turbo from at a reasonable price? I have no problem buying internationally.

Thanks, Gus
First up BigGus what part of the world are you in before I advise a supplier.

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TDI Blown Turbo

Hi Drag,

I am in Adelaide. Have been in contact with VW, service and response has been HOPELESS. I am afraid I will have to fix this for the lowest possible cost and get rid of the Touareg.

I would not buy another one with over $6000 worth of repairs in 8 months in an expensive vehicle with only 86000K's on it, and regularly serviced.

Great machine when it's working by far too expensive to maintain for me I'm afraid.

Anyway, if you can point me to a supplier it would be helpful. The price from VW is just noddy land stuff.....

Gus

First up BigGus what part of the world are you in before I advise a supplier.

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Hi Drag,

I am in Adelaide. Have been in contact with VW, service and response has been HOPELESS. I am afraid I will have to fix this for the lowest possible cost and get rid of the Touareg.

I would not buy another one with over $6000 worth of repairs in 8 months in an expensive vehicle with only 86000K's on it, and regularly serviced.

Great machine when it's working by far too expensive to maintain for me I'm afraid.

Anyway, if you can point me to a supplier it would be helpful. The price from VW is just noddy land stuff.....

Gus
Gus
is the failed turbo destroyed.
If not I just had my turbos rebuilt by a guy in Melbourne call ProCharge.
Procharge Turbochargers Australia - Turbo Sales & Service
Could not be happier with service and product. Give him a call and talk to Ben. Tell him the V10 touareg guy recommended him.
Mine cost $550 each so yours should be in that area if it is not destroyed.

If not rebuildable maybe but a second hand unit from the wreckers if they will split from and engine and don't want ridiculous prices.

Last choice would be to buy from the states a new item.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
V6 TDI Turbo Failure

Hi Drag,

I had spoken to Ben already, I have heard they were good. he wants $880 to rebuild. Should have bought a V10.

I have also spoken to a supplier in the US in Atlanta. $1350 plus $150 freight (USD) for the correct part confirmed by VIN. Over $3800 here from VW. Don't know how they get away with it.

Thanks, Gus

Gus
is the failed turbo destroyed.
If not I just had my turbos rebuilt by a guy in Melbourne call ProCharge.
Procharge Turbochargers Australia - Turbo Sales & Service
Could not be happier with service and product. Give him a call and talk to Ben. Tell him the V10 touareg guy recommended him.
Mine cost $550 each so yours should be in that area if it is not destroyed.

If not rebuildable maybe but a second hand unit from the wreckers if they will split from and engine and don't want ridiculous prices.

Last choice would be to buy from the states a new item.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Hi Drag,

I had spoken to Ben already, I have heard they were good. he wants $880 to rebuild. Should have bought a V10.

I have also spoken to a supplier in the US in Atlanta. $1350 plus $150 freight (USD) for the correct part confirmed by VIN. Over $3800 here from VW. Don't know how they get away with it.

Thanks, Gus
I would think that Ben should be able to be talked down a bit but if not $880 is probably your best/ cheapest option. Problem to keep in mind for new item from US is any warranty issue are a big pain.

Yea buy a V10 just happens to be double of everything.
I would be interested to know which way you go in the end?

regards
Drag

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Interesting Turbos should be good for 8,000 hrs and at 60 k's an hour should be around 500,000 k's minimum. I wonder why turbos arw going early low stress in our vehicles comoar3d to trucks. I got 300,000 from LC and still going strong expect 500,000 or more from the V10.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Interesting Turbos should be good for 8,000 hrs and at 60 k's an hour should be around 500,000 k's minimum. I wonder why turbos arw going early low stress in our vehicles comoar3d to trucks. I got 300,000 from LC and still going strong expect 500,000 or more from the V10.

I wish I had your confidence with my turbo, I am very fastidious and would love to keep my treg for as long as she runs well and doesn't cost me $'000 in annual repairs, some of the stories you hear here do not leave a warm and fuzzy on the longevity prospects of these vehicles, I would love if mine turns out to be an exception.

TonyB

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Bails and Tony,

Ended up replacing mine with a new one from Procharge. About half the cost if the dealer, I removed and fitted it myself. Not an easy job, but done now. No idea why it failed, the vanes stuck and were deformed by heat accirding to Ben at Procharge. I change oil at no more than 15000, usually closer to 10000, using 507.00 long life synthetic. I had the EGR cooler fail a few months ago, that may have had something to do with it.......

Gus

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
We all fear a short life but these are all new vehicles with not a lot of track record. There are however some with over 500,000 k's on them now without turbo failure. Also I think some failures aren't actually failures, dealers don'y know so just replace parts. The R5 motors are in trucks and clock up big mile with failure. There is always exceptions but I suspect these vehicles will be as good as any others.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have done two turbos on my 2008 TDI V6. First at ~ 40,000km (14 months) and the second at 90,000km and 3 years. Both covered by warranty and were after EGR problems. I have now done 196,000km with no more problems.

My lesson is if you start to use water, get the EGR repaired, and don't run it for a month first by topping up the water every so often, as the turbo does not like it. I have been told that an EGR problem will not effect the turbo, but I'm not going to chance it as next time, I have to pay.

Bruce.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Is the coolant lost when the EGR fails actually going through the turbo itself?

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
EGR normally goes into combustion camber. Water or fluid would cause severe damage before getting to exhaust side of turbo. I would be interested to know what the exact failure was? Usually it is bearing seals or vains.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Hi Stuart,

English on this site somewhere?

Thanks, Gus
I use Google Translate, a phone call works and they all speak English

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I apologise for my ignorance, I believe I understand the principles of the EGR system in general, but how do you know or what are the symptoms of a bad or failing EGR valve?

Interested to know as I have been monitoring a slight oil leak or weeping around the back of the turbo area which may well be coming from where the the EGR line joins the charged air intake line, dealer diagnosed it as being injector oil seal leaks or a rear main seal leak, my suspicion is that it's coming from the EGR area but not sure on how to verify this with any degree of certainty.
TonyB

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine was the EGR cooler. The vehicle started to use coolant and then went to burning it as steam. Probably wrecked the turbo but the dealer says the two issues are unrelated. I beg to differ.

Gus

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I apologise for my ignorance, I believe I undeíirstand the principles of the EGR system in general, but how do you know or what are the symptoms of a bad or failing EGR valve?

Interested to know as I have been monitoring a slight oil leak or weeping around the back of the turbo area which may well be coming from where the the EGR line joins the charged air intake line, dealer diagnosed it as being injector oil seal leaks or a rear main seal leak, my suspicion is that it's coming from the EGR area but not sure on how to verify this with any degree of certainty.
TonyB
The slight oil leak at the back of the turbo. Could also be the gasket on thr oil drain pipe on the bottom of the turbo or the O ring in the two piece flexible drain pipe. One of those umbilical cameras with the inbuilt LEDs will help you take a look, you can get the lens to look inside the chamber under the turbo by coming in from the firewall side, slightly towards the drivers side, and look back at an angle between the passenger headlight and the passenger front wheel. I used my camera a lot around this area when I changed my turbo so I could see what I was doing.......

Gus

1 - 20 of 37 Posts