41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Feed line not post hpfp

·
Registered
222 Posts
OMG... Don't touch anything! Don't listen to anyone! Separators do not go on the high pressure side..... You guys are gonna blow this dude's crap up with your advice!
The caution is noted an appropriate. Personally I've maintained several diesels and rebuilt a couple so know the difference between the low and high pressure side, but not everyone has that back round.

as mentioned in the link I posted above any add on water separator should go on the inlet side of the factory fuel filter using the same grade of rubber hoses already there.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Feed line not post hpfp
I'm only responding to your previous post where you said:

...... you would probably need the help of a shop or have the proper fittings to tap into the high pressure fuel lines.
@jeffnhiscars
I would just use treatments and do religious filter changes, unless you believe you're getting contaminated fuel.

If you want to complicate your setup and get into adding separators and such, look at the fuel system and the lift pump pressure specs to ensure you're not going to have issues. Depending on what system you want to add, it will have various flow/pressure capacities.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hence why I said "sized appropriately".

I was really just asking if anyone had actually done this. General speculation Im quite capable of :)

we now return control of your tv.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Dealership called and said my truck was ready. Said they changed a sensor, that didn't fix it, they ordered a sensor and then changed that. CEL went out so they said it was fixed.

I asked if it was still stalling and they said "yes"..

???

I asked what the next step was and he said that with the CEL not present there is nothing they can do(really? the car stalls but because it isn't written in black and white you can't troubleshoot?) I can charge you a diagnostic fee of $160 to continue looking into it.

I brought it in because it was stalling.

All they did was change random parts and clear the CEL.

I told him I would pick it back up, drive it for 20 minutes until the CEL came back on and would return. Keep the crappy loaner nearby.

I got the key went start the truck (in the service pick-up area) and the DPF light came on.

I went inside and got the guy and he said "didn't even have to drive it off the lot."

Picked up the loaner keys and left.

This dealership is the ONLY one around and they suck. Royally suck.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
That is indeed terrible. Where (how far) is the nearest another dealership? Sounds like you might have better luck towing the car over there than wasting time and money with these ***bags

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
2 hrs away. It can be driven there, it just can't be used for more than "emergency" trips.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It does not seem like these guys will do much more than take your money so maybe worth a shot?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Dealership called and said my truck was ready. Said they changed a sensor, that didn't fix it, they ordered a sensor and then changed that. CEL went out so they said it was fixed.

I asked if it was still stalling and they said "yes"..

???

I asked what the next step was and he said that with the CEL not present there is nothing they can do(really? the car stalls but because it isn't written in black and white you can't troubleshoot?) I can charge you a diagnostic fee of $160 to continue looking into it.

I brought it in because it was stalling.

All they did was change random parts and clear the CEL.

I told him I would pick it back up, drive it for 20 minutes until the CEL came back on and would return. Keep the crappy loaner nearby.

I got the key went start the truck (in the service pick-up area) and the DPF light came on.

I went inside and got the guy and he said "didn't even have to drive it off the lot."

Picked up the loaner keys and left.

This dealership is the ONLY one around and they suck. Royally suck.

Omfg that's annoying. Thankfully I've been blessed with a great dealership for many years. Let us know what you've figured out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had throttle lag right before my HPFP grenaded. Let's hope it is not that, but if it is should be covered under the emissions warranty as well.
Same here. Now whenever the vehicle is cold and I experience the laggy gas pedal and rough shifting, I have a moment of panic thinking I'm blowing up another HPFP.
Coincidentally, I also thought the HPFP failure was due to bad diesel and the VW dealer was happy to agree that was likely the culprit. Got the "fix" 06/18, HPFP blew up late 11/18 so there was just enough time for me to not initially suspect the failure was a side effect but there's now plenty of data to support this theory.
I strongly dislike err actually I hate the VW dealers near me so even if it's covered under the extended emissions warranty, I dread having to go down that path. They did everything they could to delay confirmation that the HPFP repair would be covered under warranty and even then, they claimed it was a courtesy and they had to fight VW HQ to get the warranty work approved. I was just outside of my 3yr/36k mile factory warranty with ~37.3k miles when this happened and I hadn't recalled exactly which systems were covered under the extension and I guess they assumed I wouldn't bother to look that up.

Just happened to see this in my digest while I was looking up the details of the extended emissions warranty. I'm seriously considering getting a Malone stage 2 tune and was looking over the warranty docs again. Everything I've read on Malone or Kerma tunes seems to state there's a lower likelihood of HPFP failure with their tunes vs. stock post-fix, so maybe we'll see..

This seemed partially related to the discussion and thought I'd chime in...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi all
Letting you know of my recent experience. Treg went into limp mode with the glowplug symbol flashing. Low pressure from the HPFP..
Turns out that there was water in the fuel, and it has destroyed the HPFP, injectors etc. Metal from the pump has circulated throughout the fuel system, resulting in a $16.5k repair. Contaminated fuel, especially water either emulsified or free is a huge problem for the Treg. My investigating indicates that there is no water separation or detection system on the Treg! The OEM filter doesn't do it, at least to any satisfactory degree.
A dealer in Western Qld has installed many after-market separation and warning systems on Amaroks - same engine.
In my opinion, installing a water separator is an absolute must on these vehicles.
As soon as my car is repaired, both separation and alarm systems will be installed. These Bosch CP4 HPFP units are VERY susceptible to damage from ingress of water or air. The OEM filter takes care of particles.
Car has done 175000km (NOT kms!!!!). Fortunately, there is no damage to the engine - we hope.
Cheers
Geoff
Reading this after I replied to an earlier comment in the thread. They told me the repair was ~$10.5k (warranty covered) and I'm in LA but it sounds like you experienced more damage.
I wonder if the similar message from the VW dealers is scripted or truly what happened. The lack of water separation etc were all mentioned by the service advisor, and while I believe it to be a true statement, I don't believe it was the issue in my case.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2 hrs away. It can be driven there, it just can't be used for more than "emergency" trips.

FWIW I'm in the LA area and have access to at least 8 VW dealers within 35 miles of me. Some of the dealers seem better but I've not needed anything other than routine service. Every instance where it was something non-routine, they all seemed equally crappy.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The goal is ride out "most" of the extended emissions warranty then Malone stage 2 with egr delete. I will leave the dpf and cat in place as long as possible but the egr has to go!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The goal is ride out "most" of the extended emissions warranty then Malone stage 2 with egr delete. I will leave the dpf and cat in place as long as possible but the egr has to go!

Are you deleting egr or just tuning out?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts