Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2016 TDI Lux, white with beige interior
125 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Since I also have a '16 TDI Lux, I'm following. As I used to say a lot, "Bummer, man." Please keep us posted with various successes and woes as the process continues.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
EGR fault. Shouldn't even think about it, take it to the dealer. Dealer replaced my entire intake/egr/butterfly valves in day. They gave me a loaner at my request of course.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
They got the part in today but the "assigned tech" was off (called in sick) today so they haven't started work on it yet.

Are you serious? The entire intake manifold had to be replaced?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
At that milage it will be full of gunk and they won't bother cleaning it.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Can you say EGR delete as soon as the warranty is close to over...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
They got the part in today but the "assigned tech" was off (called in sick) today so they haven't started work on it yet.

Are you serious? The entire intake manifold had to be replaced?

Yep. well my situation was a little more complex. It was actually my butterfly valves that had gone bad. I tried to put in the limiting brackets but they were too far gone. so when the butterfly valves were that far gone it actually caused an issue within the EGR and it actually had nothing to do with the EGR lol.the dealership doesn't replace just the butterfly valves they replaced the entire intake manifold but that did indeed fix it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep. well my situation was a little more complex. It was actually my butterfly valves that had gone bad. I tried to put in the limiting brackets but they were too far gone. so when the butterfly valves were that far gone it actually caused an issue within the EGR and it actually had nothing to do with the EGR lol.the dealership doesn't replace just the butterfly valves they replaced the entire intake manifold but that did indeed fix it.
So.. VW4L.. it looks like you have a lot of diesel cars.. is your Treg a diesel as well.?? That EGR valve your talking about is that something specific to diesels engines ? (I thought an EGR valve was something that sticks in and functions from the valve cover and is a easy replace on a gas engine, I must have the wrong part /engine in mind ??).

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I've owned I think seven or eight diesels including one ton trucks. Yes the Touareg is a diesel. The diesels and the gas engines all have an EGR but they are more problematic on the diesel because of all the sludge and oil buildup and coking that occurs from the byproduct. They are still problematic on gas engines but not nearly as much. On the diesel they are much more integrated and difficult to remove or repair especially when you factor in the EGR cooler

Reactions: Landpanther

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m no expert here but I would suspect it’s unrelated to the recent fill up. If the valve is allowing gasses to recirculate when it shouldn’t (and potentially causing that lag) then it seems like your culprit.
Check and make sure you got the gas cap on correct. A loose or missing cap could possibly eggs cuprit

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Treg just threw a code today...

P0402 - EGR flow excessive detected

Filled up yesterday. Any chance in hell it could have been bad diesel?

If the egr valve is bad it is under warranty but I, lets just say, don't care for the only VW dealership around here so taking it in is a last resort.

It added significant delay to the throttle response before the cel. For a moment I actually was thinking the "normal" throttle delay was just getting bad until it persisted long after warm up. But it was the exact same type of delay which has me wondering if the "normal" throttle delay could be the initial gases being recirculated..

Back to the question at hand, any chance it is fuel related? Water in the diesel or something? It was Chevron diesel if you were wondering.

Hi all
Letting you know of my recent experience. Treg went into limp mode with the glowplug symbol flashing. Low pressure from the HPFP..
Turns out that there was water in the fuel, and it has destroyed the HPFP, injectors etc. Metal from the pump has circulated throughout the fuel system, resulting in a $16.5k repair. Contaminated fuel, especially water either emulsified or free is a huge problem for the Treg. My investigating indicates that there is no water separation or detection system on the Treg! The OEM filter doesn't do it, at least to any satisfactory degree.
A dealer in Western Qld has installed many after-market separation and warning systems on Amaroks - same engine.
In my opinion, installing a water separator is an absolute must on these vehicles.
As soon as my car is repaired, both separation and alarm systems will be installed. These Bosch CP4 HPFP units are VERY susceptible to damage from ingress of water or air. The OEM filter takes care of particles.
Car has done 175000km (NOT kms!!!!). Fortunately, there is no damage to the engine - we hope.
Cheers
Geoff

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Is that AU dollars or what? Are you paying for that or is the station who sold you crappy fuel?

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Text from the dealership...

Parts udpate: The second sensor that was ordered for your vehicle is not at our primary or secondary warehouses so it has been referred to another warehouse. The expected arrival date is now Thursday the 19th.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Any insight in to installing a water separator would be interesting & appreciated...which to buy, where to mount etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any insight in to installing a water separator would be interesting & appreciated...which to buy, where to mount etc.
jeffnhiscars.. Ya know.. I was thinking about that.. I've got one on my boat... and it really works well.. it's got a filter element and a clear bowl below it which accumulates the water and you can drain it as the water is heavier than the gasoline.. (assume diesel is the same).. I would imagine they have something similar for diesel cars... Mounting would be where you can find room but between the fuel tank and before it enters the engines system..would make the most sense.. Here is the marine filters.. Amazon.com : marine fuel water separator

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
There lots of fuel water separators available for the toaureg

·
Registered
222 Posts
"A lot"....that really narrows it down lol

water is also heavier than diesel so a polycarbonate sight glass is fine as long as it's sized appropriately And tucks neatly in to the engine compartment. i just think someone surely makes a bolt on bracket or better yet a kit with all the fittings, cartridge etc so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

ps found this

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
"A lot"....that really narrows it down lol

water is also heavier than diesel so a polycarbonate sight glass is fine as long as it's sized appropriately And tucks neatly in to the engine compartment. i just think someone surely makes a bolt on bracket or better yet a kit with all the fittings, cartridge etc so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

ps found this
My bad I had an idiot moment. I completely read your words correctly, "fuel water separator", but for some reason in my brain I interpreted it to mean catch can. And there's a couple catch cans that are popular on the Touareg so I started researching fuel water separator and I wasn't seeing the brands I was looking for and after 20 minutes I finally realized my brain was totally twisted around.

There are no bolt in fuel water separator available for the Toaureg that I know of but there are plenty of universal kits like fass and Cat. you would have to do your own custom plumbing which wouldn't be absolutely terrible but you would probably need the help of a shop or have the proper fittings to tap into the high pressure fuel lines.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
OMG... Don't touch anything! Don't listen to anyone! Separators do not go on the high pressure side..... You guys are gonna blow this dude's crap up with your advice!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts