1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Treg just threw a code today...

P0402 - EGR flow excessive detected

Filled up yesterday. Any chance in hell it could have been bad diesel?

If the egr valve is bad it is under warranty but I, lets just say, don't care for the only VW dealership around here so taking it in is a last resort.

It added significant delay to the throttle response before the cel. For a moment I actually was thinking the "normal" throttle delay was just getting bad until it persisted long after warm up. But it was the exact same type of delay which has me wondering if the "normal" throttle delay could be the initial gases being recirculated..

Back to the question at hand, any chance it is fuel related? Water in the diesel or something? It was Chevron diesel if you were wondering.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Audi Q7
31 Posts
I’m no expert here but I would suspect it’s unrelated to the recent fill up. If the valve is allowing gasses to recirculate when it shouldn’t (and potentially causing that lag) then it seems like your culprit.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m no expert here but I would suspect it’s unrelated to the recent fill up. If the valve is allowing gasses to recirculate when it shouldn’t (and potentially causing that lag) then it seems like your culprit.
I agree, I was just making sure they weren't related.

I cleared the codes and will see it it comes back tomorrow. If it does I will have to see if an Indy shop can do the work under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
9,592 Posts
I had throttle lag right before my HPFP grenaded. Let's hope it is not that, but if it is should be covered under the emissions warranty as well.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had throttle lag right before my HPFP grenaded. Let's hope it is not that, but if it is should be covered under the emissions warranty as well.
This threw a definite code that I pulled but could these be symptoms of something else ....

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Do a full in-depth autoscan with a proper VCDS or similar, especially if you're trying to avoid dealing with the dealership butchers.

·
Super Moderator
9,592 Posts
This threw a definite code that I pulled but could these be symptoms of something else ....

That was the symptoms before mine went. I never scanned it to see if there was any codes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do a full in-depth autoscan with a proper VCDS or similar, especially if you're trying to avoid dealing with the dealership butchers.
I did the code pull yesterday on the way home with my cheap wireless OBDII reader and Torque Pro on the tablet I leave in the car just for such an occasion. Then I cleared the code KNOWING it would come back.

This morning I went to the VW dealership to see about scheduling a loaner so I could drop off the Treg.

Their reply: "We need to scan the car to decide if it is an emissions issue"
Me: I can bring it back when the CEL returns
Them: Ok then we can diagnose it as an emissions issue. But we still won't have a loaner car.
Me: I'll get back to you...

So I am asking for advice on the path forward. I am 99.999% positive it is an emissions' warranty covered issue and at this point it IS a safety issue as it starts , rolls VERY SLOWLY into an intersection then stalls for several seconds.

I will be driving it home in a few minutes to do a full VCDS scan and then I need to decide how to go forward.

I think they are required to supply a loaner as I am sure it will be a long process to fix the vehicle but where / how do I get that ball rolling? Escalate to the service manager, go top down and start at VWoA?

Suggestions welcome, please and thank you.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Not sure how it works down in "whatever fossil is your president" land these days.....

But up here, EGR issue is full blown Emission Related so as such will be covered.
I don't know for certain if they are required to give you a loaner due to Covid and all that BS, but I believe you have a valid argument to make, so I'd fight for one for sure, especially, if this is your only vehicle and you don't have a plan B.

I know I would get into it with all parties involved to get one, knowing very well that they will be pissing around for weeks with my egg.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
At the dealership (over an hour now) so they can scan the Treg and determine the fault.

Edit: These were the codes driving from work to the dealership. I am sure they will clear them but I am also sure they will return on the way home.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They scanned the Treg and wouldn't let me drive it home.

Pulled a new car off the lot and said test drive this for the weekend, we can't let you drive this until we can look further into it.

Crappy Jetta but but as long as they don't break my Treg I don't care.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Under the terms of the AEM warranty they are required to give you a loaner for any warranty repair that requires "3 or more hours". I can only guess that means flat rate hours based on what they find, but that's what it says.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While talking he confirmed that an EGR fault was one of the oneS (plural) stored.

And since it was cleared last night all of them are fresh from today.

·
Super Moderator
9,592 Posts
While talking he confirmed that an EGR fault was one of the oneS (plural) stored.

And since it was cleared last night all of them are fresh from today.

Get used to the Jetta for awhile. Just speaking from experience. They will have it for a bit till they source parts and such. Good thing is it will cost you nothing.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Brought the "new from the lot" jetta back this AM and sure enough they said "here's a Tiguan, it will be a while"...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am so sorry, if that is anything like my transmission woes way back some time, you're in for a lot of back and forth. I eventually gave up

·
Super Moderator
9,592 Posts
Brought the "new from the lot" jetta back this AM and sure enough they said "he's a Tiguan, it will be a while"...
Yeah, I've been through this a few times with my '10. My service advisor is straight with me and said it will probably have more issues due to the "fix ". I'm just bidding my time with mine till some new Broncos come to the used market then I think I'm out...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts