Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Xenon.

• Bulb went out - I bought a new one put it in - didnt' work.
  • I've scanned the car, says the low beam is out.
  • I checked the fuses on both sides (even though its just the passenger side).
  • I swapped bulbs passenger to driver and it's not the bulb - eg.. passenger side still out.
    [*I pulled out the wiring harness and attached to assembly - solid sure connection - still not working.

I've searched and read numerous threads, there is conflicting information if the ballast is part of the bulb I bought.

Is the ballast the ~2" square block on the bottom of the filament?
If not how does one check a ballast?
Can I switch assemblies to rule out the wiring? I realize I'll have to unhook the harness from the clip it sits in to reach the plug with the assembly from the wrong side.

Assuming we've made it this far - what else in the assembly can go wrong?

Any other troubleshooting advice? Thanks. I'm really hoping it's not the wiring in the body, but does anyone have a pin out for testing the voltage?

Thanks again in advance!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
As far as pin-out voltages goes, no I don't have one BUT it should be possible to check the voltage at each pin on the GOOD side and compare with the similar pin on the not working side. That might get you somewhere.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. Thanks.

Any harm in plugging the drivers side assemblyinto the passenger side harness?

·
Registered
426 Posts
There's no harm in plugging in assemblies from the opposite side.

It does sound like the ballast has died though.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,277 Posts
Here is a picture of the the ballast (found on bottom of the headlight assembly) and the bulb.

If you look around for a bit, you can find an OEM ballast and save some money.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,277 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I tried swapping lights, it's hard to get the assembly in there and plugged in, but it didn't work (I did get running lamp and motor noise).

When I swapped the good ballast for the bad though the "bad" side worked, so I've narrowed it down to the ballast and one is on the way. Cheapest I could find new from a known retailer was $320 shipped.

Thanks again the help.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Jeff its so weird your having Ballast issues. I have ugly dirty lights that came with my Treg back in July. So 2-3 months ago I picked up a set from a 2010. They seriousl look new. But they had the ballast and the other lil box on their. So i put the new ones in and immediately they didn't fully work. Ugh. So iwas told by VW and an independent Audi Vw dude I would have to reprogram. So last night I took out my ugly set and exchanged the ballast and other box. Put the new set in and they work perfect. Before switching stuff when I put the new set in for the first time the corner lights bad! Code bad! No little light show on start up. The new set with boxes on back were only 370. He was asking 450. They are oem. But now I can use my old set and clean them up God willing, and have you do some new leds. Ill buy the Beer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts