Club Touareg Forum banner

Troubleshooting Air Suspension Error

14K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Rg604 
#1 ·
A couple of months ago I got the dreaded "Suspension Workshop" error on the dash or my 2005 V8 Touareg. When I scanned the codes I got:

Address 34: Level Control Labels: 7Lx-907-553-34.clb
Part No: 7L0 907 553 F
Component: LUFTFDR.-CDC- 3C3P1 3081
Coding: 0015521
Shop #: WSC 31414 000 00000
VCID: 36695D1C42B1E0F55F-5178
1 Fault Found:
00144 - Rear Left Dampening Adjustment Valve (N338)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

I haven't found a lot of information on what this might be or how to fix it. One thread alluded that it might be an issue with the Level Sensor, which I replaced (Very easy, PM me if you need help, I'll do a write up soon), but that had no impact.

Is this something that can be replaced, or does it require a full rebuild of the AIR strut?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
A couple of months ago I got the dreaded "Suspension Workshop" error on the dash or my 2005 V8 Touareg. When I scanned the codes I got:

Address 34: Level Control Labels: 7Lx-907-553-34.clb
Part No: 7L0 907 553 F
Component: LUFTFDR.-CDC- 3C3P1 3081
Coding: 0015521
Shop #: WSC 31414 000 00000
VCID: 36695D1C42B1E0F55F-5178
1 Fault Found:
00144 - Rear Left Dampening Adjustment Valve (N338)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

I haven't found a lot of information on what this might be or how to fix it. One thread alluded that it might be an issue with the Level Sensor, which I replaced (Very easy, PM me if you need help, I'll do a write up soon), but that had no impact.

Is this something that can be replaced, or does it require a full rebuild of the AIR strut?

Thanks
Check the rear air strut. There is a CDC valve attached to the strut with a wire coming out of it to a connector. Check if the connector is loose or if the cable was caught by something and snapped off. Follow the wiring further away from the strut.

If the wiring and connector is all good then the CDC valve on the strut (actually part of the shock) has failed and you need to replace the shock - easier to get a complete strut.

The struts are expensive. As a diagnostic you can swap the two struts to see if the issue follows the strut (strut at fault) or stays on the original side (wiring issue)

Attachments

#7 ·
That valve adjust the dampening rate of the shock. That part is separate from the actual (pneumatic) "air spring" part of the system.

The air spring is what adjusts the ride height. You have a dial to select this.

The valve is what adjusts the sport - normal - comfort settings. You have a roll button to select this.

You could have a system that did just the air height, a system that just did the comfort modes, or a system that does both.

The touareg has a system that does both, but they are actually two separate systems that work together.

#13 ·
That valve adjust the dampening rate of the shock. That part is separate from the actual (pneumatic) "air spring" part of the system.

The air spring is what adjusts the ride height. You have a dial to select this.

The valve is what adjusts the sport - normal - comfort settings. You have a roll button to select this.

You could have a system that did just the air height, a system that just did the comfort modes, or a system that does both.

The touareg has a system that does both, but they are actually two separate systems that work together.
Hello.
Do you know how it works that valve?
Is a magnetic valve and I don't understand how it see the dampening?

Thanks

#8 ·
Great news, I fixed this, for $1.00.

I placed the truck into its highest suspension setting and crawled under to inspect the strut, and I found a nick in the wiring harness!!!

The wiring hardness is quite complicated, it is a 6 conductor wire. The wiring harness starts at the bottom of the air strut, then goes to the wheel hub for the wheel speed sensor, then picks up the Brake sensor. At the back of the wheel hub the wire has two gromets where the wire snaps into small brackets to hold the wire.

The wire had popped out of the gromet, and had been gently rubbing against the back of the wheel. It looks like slowly over time the rubbing burned through the insulation of the wiring until it cut the conductor to the strut dampening sensor.

I spliced the wires back together and voila!! All is good in Touareg world.

Before you replace your struts of give up all hope, given you wiring harness a close inspection. For the record the break in the wire was not obvious, it took close inspection to find it.

#9 ·
Mattman,

This is great news!!! I've had this issue for several a few months now but didnt do any about it. Ive had the same code cleared it but came back right away.Judging by the code, you focused your efforts towards the back of the struts? I'm totally new at this and wouldn't really attempt to do these things and try to fix it myself without a mechanic but when the finances are tied to a newly purchased home, you try to do things yourself and now that I have a place to do it, I dont have to end up worrying if I'm parked in manner where someone wont kill me or a spot where its someone's street. I'll bust out some cardboard, raise the car to the highest level and inspect with a flashlight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#11 ·
#12 ·
I had the same issue. I ohmed the wires from the trunk to the spring and I had an open wire. I never found the break in the wire but ran a new wire and all has been good since. That was 5 years ago

Reactions: nickyt
#14 ·
Hey guys . New to the forum but long time creeper.
So I've ended up having the same issue on an 2008 I picked up. I've attached pic of the code . And a 2nd pic of a line I found disconnected but I'm not sure what it is .
Anyway I checked the 3 wires from the connector at the level sensor all the way up to the bottom of the truck. Haven't checked the inside just cause I didn't want to start taking things apart till I asked someone online . Did you just repin the connector or cut it and reconnect it from the connecter to whatever is inside . And what do I need to remove inside in the rear to get at it easier.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.