Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to setup the Homelink function for our two garage doors and nothing worked. Both doors have the rolling code. When I went through the instructions stated in the manual....it did not work. I had no problem setting them up on my wifes previous passat or on my Audi. Can someone help....please!

· Registered
31 Posts
A Homelink Trick

I had trouble as well. It seems that the owners manual is poorly written. It instructs you to hold the garage door opener in front of the buttons. WRONG. I called the Homelink 800 number and they were really on to the problem You are supposed to hold the opener much further forward, essentially under the map lights. Worked like a charm. I also suggest that you contact Homelink via the 800 number if that doesn't work. They have tech support people who can talk you through it.

· Registered
1 Posts
naudi02 said:
I tried to setup the Homelink function for our two garage doors and nothing worked. Both doors have the rolling code. When I went through the instructions stated in the manual....it did not work. I had no problem setting them up on my wifes previous passat or on my Audi. Can someone help....please!

I had this problem as well. I called HomeLink and found out the instruction was wrong. Instead of point 2-3 inched away from the HomeLink botton in your car, you needed to flip down a plastic piece in front of the rear view mirror and point the garage opener to that to program. Hope this will work for you, it sure works for me

· Registered
12 Posts
HomeLink addendum in Manual

My manual had an addendum at the very last page stating the instructions were not correct and that one should hold the controller more to the front of the vehicle (near the windshield) not near the buttons as specified.javascript:emoticon(':dance:')

· Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar problem programming Homelink to work with my garage door. I did the button punching/holding per the manual and the Homelink light did what it was suppose to. However, no joy as the garage door did not open or close.

Then I read these posts and discovered the plastic piece above the rearview mirror that flips down. I flipped it down hit the homelink button I'd programmed and the door now works. So evidently it will progrm with the remote held a few inches from the homelink controls. Howeever, at least for me it would not activate the garage door with the pannel up.

· Registered
43 Posts
I got it to work by parking directly below the opener while pressing the configuration buttons. There was also a one page insert in my manual updating the original instructions.
I currently have all three buttons programed!

· Registered
6 Posts
Here is the best and the final solution to this matter, I'm 99% sure, if you carefuly can perform the following steps, you will be able to program your Touaregs' homelink. the big secret is @ the THIRD SUN VISOR.
Steps:

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink® indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink® buttons.)
  2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the THIRD SUN VISOR (near the bottom of your overhead console), keeping the HomeLink® indicator light in view.
  3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink® button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink® indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink® button and observe the indicator light.
- If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink® button is pressed and released.
- If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker & easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual.
6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink® button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
For a list of models, transmitters and more how-to's, go to www.homelink.com

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks achex!! I have been struggling in my garage for over an hour! I was about to put my fist through the HomeLink in my Touareg when I decided to check this site. After reading your post I had all of my buttons programmed and working in about 5 minutes.
THANKS A TON!!!

· Registered
6 Posts
I managed to program my Touareg to open my two garage doors (both with "learn" buttons), and everything worked great for about a month and a half. Then one morning when I hit the button to open the door and back out of the garage, BOTH doors went up, and it's been that way ever since as I have not had time to re-program it. Has anyone ever experienced that problem? The night before, when I opened the door to park, it was still working fine. We've used a similar system in my wife's BMW for three years, with never an issue (and it still manages to open each door independently). Any ideas?

· Registered
339 Posts
I've been struggling with this since nov. Of last year! Can't waittogethome to train & try it. Thanks for the excellent write up!

· Registered
21 Posts
OMG! I've been struggling with the same issue and just figured I had a bum HomeLink transmitter. Can't wait to get home and get it programmed, thanks so much Club T'reg! What did people used to do before there were forums? I can't remember.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.