Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my Touareg after searching for a couple months. 2007 3.6 Vr6. 82k miles. Drove it everything felt great and sounded great. I was checking the ecm for faults. I found some not so good ones. Once I pulled the valve cover I knew I was in for some fun times. Picture time...

So the previous owner had a half assed attempt at a de sludging. Guy even went as far to pull the oil pan. Any who. Pulled the head. Pulled the pan. Full cleaning under way. Lots of the elbow grease.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Looks like she will be nice and clean very soon.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Wow is right! Any sign of debris from timing chain guides? This is an impressive tear down for the motor still being in considering the space at the back of the motor.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good job

I hope you will changing the ATF in the gearbox, and the diffs' and transfer box oils too!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow is right! Any sign of debris from timing chain guides? This is an impressive tear down for the motor still being in considering the space at the back of the motor.
All but the two tensioner rails are in any shape I would deem usable. The engine is now removed fully.

Good job

I hope you will changing the ATF in the gearbox, and the diffs' and transfer box oils too!
Redline/Liquimoly is what I carry at my shop. So it's getting all the good stuff.

Other than sludge cleaning, what you take apart your engine? Seems drastic.
'

Because I had faults for Cam/crank correlation and as you can see in the pictures the exhaust cam is out of time. And the sludge gets in everything. Every lifter, cam adjuster, and every passage. If a customer came into my shop requested this it would be cheaper to replace the engine than to pay me the labor to do it this way.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I am really interested in seeing how this turns out. Please keep us updated.

Blasted plastic guide rails on the timing chain. Sometimes I wonder what the heck the engineers were thinking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They work pretty well when lubricated properly :) . When I ever have a big Treg job in the shop I'm always reminded how over built these T1s are. It should turn out pretty nice. I'm mailing the injectors out tomorrow for servicing and get the Ecu tuned by my buddy at Malone Tuning. Stage 1 311hp/291lb-ft . Like most tunes we do you get better MPG too! I figured hey I already have to run premium gas why not.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update

So I ended up pulling the entire unit and basically throwing the book at it. Completed disassembled everything, cleaned every nook and cranny(over cleaner does wonders on this stuff). The cylinder head sent 4 hours in the hot tank. The engine block and passage got a mix of cleaners and degreasers. Now I'm at the point where I am nearing assembly time. Everything is new looking(inside of the block is spot less)

So at this point we have

New lifters, chains, guides, tensioners, waterpump, drive belt, drive belt tensioner, spark plugs, valve cover, pcv hose, brake booster hoses, hpfp sprocket, and hardware.
Cleaned and refreshed oil pump, camshaft adjusters, camshaft adjuster solenoids, rocker arms, and camshafts

The injectors won't be back from servicing until Monday.

For this weekend I'm hoping to reassemble the engine and install back in the truck. We shall see.

Anyways Pictures are below

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oil pump bolt updated from the supposed 8.8 to 10.9 strength? Part is a couple bucks for peace of mind. For those that don't know this is for 2007 and earlier (Passat). Here is a thread from Vortex...

VWVortex.com - Replaced a 3.6L oil pump bolt
Already have it. I replace all hardware that is one time use. I'm kinda happy I had to do all this since it would be in the back of my mind every time I would of driven it. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Excellent! I think about mine too often, but I enjoy the looks of the 07 and the variable runner intake too much to go with a newer Treg. I guess they dropped the variable intake for cost savings?? (Plus, I swear I can hear a subtle rattle when mine changes over...nothing like the older style VR's though that rattled with age...)

·
Registered
308 Posts
This Treg ended up in good hands, awesome job giving this vehichle a new life with an owner who truely appreciates her!

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
People like this thread. Motor rebuilds are exciting! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Currently I forgot to get a head gasket somehow. So I'll have that Monday. Also I had 9 of the lifters sitting in literally 1mm of cleaner and it discolored the finish of the roller on a 1mm area. So know I have to decide if they are usable or get 9 new ones... Either way tomorrow. 1 last round of purple power and the power washer for the block and head and then assembly time!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cleaned and ready

Finally got to do some assembly! Anywho not too much today, but here are the pictures

Oil pump is in
Lower chain on
Oil pick up is on
Oil tank to oil filter housing pipe is on
Oil filter housing is on
Waterpump is on.
Drain plug threads got fixed too

I know the block looks rusty. It going 30 minutes on the first oil change and that will take care of that. Also sorry for the blurry head photo!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it's back in and should be running tomorrow! I'll get the pictures up this weekend. Racing season is here so it's already got tow duty lined up!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts