Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All Treg Musterteers!

It is with much sadness that I wasn't able to attend the 2018 Muster, which from posts, was a very enjoyable and interesting event covering visually stunning, great and varied terrain.

I'm sure it was a topic that reared it's head at some stage amongst the 2018 gathering - where to in 2019?

So starting this thread for input on the 2019 location.

Nothing like striking while the iron's hot .....

There's been Out Back NSW, Alpine region NSW, Flinders Ranges SA, Sunshine Coast (if thats a generally appropriate description) QLD that I can think of. Any where I've missed? I know there's been more "meets"......

While OZ is a big place and most states will have a variety of environments within their boundaries, is one of the objectives / considerations of the Treg Muster to include attending each State and Territory so some of the Treg owner's inhabiting that State or Territory, showcase to visiting Tregsters what's in their backyard?

Or is it better that a region be chosen, even if somewhere within that State or Territory has already been a destination before, then "Tour Guides" volunteer or are nominated to organise?

Each year for a Muster there are fellow Tregsters who, for child care necessities err towards a Muster within school holiday time frames and there are those who have done that "obligation" where it's not a factor for consideration. How to resolve?

Thoughts ......

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think this year worked out as you described, A few locals who got to organise and show case some of the great locations in their region. In general I think with a typical Muster of 4 to 5 days that some form of organised drives ect works great.

It also may depend on location as to best numbers, as I think the 20 in Flinders Ranges worked well and with around 12 on latest one was a good number for the type of drives we did.
Being selfish , the East Coast is obviously easier for me and maybe also for those that still work and may only get 2 weeks leave ect . Who reside in Qld, NSW and ACT.

I would absolutely love to do one in WA, but with a maximum of 2 weeks leave would be very difficult for us.

But open to all suggestions and location for a 2019 Muster.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tasssiiieeeee, sounds great. We tossed up about going there this year (about now) as we could not get to Muster 2018. Maureen priced van and car between $800 and $900 each way. Very limited time frames as well due to prior bookings. We would probably need to set dates well in advance. Perhaps many might choose not to take vans and stay in a suitable accommodation provider instead. Easy to get around too, plenty to see and do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just had a quick look at 'Discover Tasmania' website. This was the first prospect that I looked at. Burnie Ocean View Motel and Holiday Caravan Park has a large variety of accommodation ranging from motel units and suites, cabins and van sites. Plenty of the types of facilities which we tend to like on site and closeby. Situated in the north east corner, approx 30 minute drive from Devonport where ferry disgorges its load. There would be plenty of other options around the island as well. Something to consider. Access to 'Spirit of Tassie' may have to be a consideration when nominating a time frame.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Would need to decide early and would limit people to change of plans ect due to Boat and cost of bookings. Would have to try for an extended leave to do this one.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
I just had a quick look at 'Discover Tasmania' website. This was the first prospect that I looked at. Burnie Ocean View Motel and Holiday Caravan Park has a large variety of accommodation ranging from motel units and suites, cabins and van sites. Plenty of the types of facilities which we tend to like on site and closeby. Situated in the north east corner, approx 30 minute drive from Devonport where ferry disgorges its load. There would be plenty of other options around the island as well. Something to consider. Access to 'Spirit of Tassie' may have to be a consideration when nominating a time frame.
***cough ...North west corner.

DAMHIK

(Don't ask me how I know)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I got confused between North West and North East Tassie, so I googled Map of Tassie..... I need another drink 🤣

Seriously though, not a bad idea. We took our Van over in 2015 and it wasn’t cheap on the ferry. Spent 3 weeks and could easily have made it 3 months. We went in early December and it seemed a pretty good time of the year. I think the idea of staying in Cabins / Motels has merit as that would be a lot cheaper on the Ferry only having to take the Treg across.

One thing that did strike us taking the Van across is that the bookings do need to be made a long way in advance. When we were in the Devonport Caravan Park the night before we boarded the ferry to head home we heard of a couple who had to fly up to Brisbane at short notice for a funeral and when they got back to Devonport, the next spot on the ferry for their Van was in a couple of months time.

I think Tassie is one destination many of us would perhaps not seriously consider taking our Treg’s across to. Perhaps a Treg Muster in the Apple Isle is well overdue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Unless you will be in Tassie for 6+ weeks....there is no economical value in taking a caravan.

Having just come back from there this year.....I can advise that sit-up (aircraft style) chairs for 2 (return) and a Touareg down below, cost us about $550 return.

And for clarification to Gazza....... I was born in Burnie, and lived most of my 'wild' years in Devonport :D

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Geez guys, one lousy typo and I'm tainted for life. Keep the ideas coming 'WogsRus. Plenty of discussion to be had yet.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Just felt it needed to be corrected for clarity.

I would hardly think anyone thinks worse of you.

For what it's worth, our venting seems to be directed at Tech Admin for the search function problem. A compass mis-direction is the least of our issues :drunk:

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
T'Reg Muster 2019

Tassie maybe an issue with Boats and time ect. Has anyone got any others suggestions to throw in the hat.
While the ferry goes twice a day (morning for the day trip and evening for the over night trip) this is without a doubt the "slowest" part of the commute to get the Touaregs with or without caravans there and back.

Regardless of where the Muster is held there will be for many participants costs and scheduling involved in simply "getting there and back".

While I personally enjoyed a lightning tour of TAS (eastern half) with family in my T'Reg way back in 2012 for 9 days, there was no off roading as such. That aside I'd love to go back and check out the west coast as much as can be done.

So playing Devil's Advocate >:) I'll throw out for consideration --- VIC Highlands/North East Coast.

Should be able to cover off on terrain experiences as well as cuisine and great locations.

Now to pick a time of year when the weather is good in VIC?:rolleyes:

Very tongue in cheek from north of the border. :p:p

·
Registered
708 Posts

Ha ha ha ha.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So playing Devil's Advocate >:) I'll throw out for consideration --- VIC Highlands/North East Coast.

Should be able to cover off on terrain experiences as well as cuisine and great locations.

Very tongue in cheek from north of the border. :p:p
I'll throw in a vote for Victoria somewhere, time constraints and those pesky children seem to get in the way of going much further.

Matthew

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yep would be Happy with a Vic Trip. I know there were a Few Guys that did Highlands 2 years ago, and the Drone and Photos was awesome. Would love to see some of that part of the country.

Would be great to get someone to put their hand up as a Host / Organiser

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
About this Discussion
132 Replies
30 Participants
PolgasR5
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing