Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to perhaps put the thinking caps on.
What have we learned from the earlier 2 musters?
School holidays... No (with apologies to Drag's kids).
Flies........ Less demanded
Prickles...... Less of them too
Do the 'High Country" travellers have a recommendation?
Is NSW the most central - geographically it is.
Was the Trilby experience a success - vs - travelling, ie Muster 2014.
Think on it. Like really think on it.
Thoughts welcome.
Dub

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dubby, I would agree that NSW is probably the most central (for the majority, not for those in Western Australia obviously). The most central is Birdsville.... the one the TVANers use as their annual muster and congregate for the Big Red Bash, 40 kms into the Simpson (15-20 TVANs there at last years' Bash).

I haven't done a Treg Muster as yet, so I cant comment on what worked and what didn't. I did do the 'Vic High Country' and that was one really fantastic trip, but done a little differently and over a couple of weeks.

Some ideas for consideration and discussion.

1. for those who watch Pat Callinan, he did a great trip from Sydney to Brisbane over a few days (actually Brisbane to Sydney), all via the back roads on 90% dirt? We may have to pick an alternate route here or there for larger vans - but doable. Then return via the Pacific Highway or whichever suits others best.

2. Northern NSW has some beautiful camping areas and national parks. Last year we stayed at Kwiambal National Park, Lemon Tree Flat (see last 2 photos). Great for bushwalking, wildlife and easy to get to (but not sure if you can book it). Right on a river as well.

3. A proven spot we go back to over and over is the Clarence River Wilderness Lodge. You can book this out completely, or a large area - you can take large vans down the 7km driveway. A little paradise on the Clarence River... can kayak, bushwalk, go for drives to other local areas and national parks, see the "Brisbane Line" concrete tank trap remains from WWII. There are also 4WD tracks with one river crossing on the property. But it is 2+ hours NW from Grafton into the property (see photos). There are also camping spots closer to Grafton along the Clarence, about 1.5 hrs - these can be booked in advance as well.
http://www.clarenceriver.com/

4. Coffs Harbour - inland from the coast has some great national parks. There is a myriad to choose from. Lot closer to Sydney, but would need some of our locals to advise more on this area.

Cheers Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul. Looks good - some great ideas. Dub

·
Learner
5,171 Posts
Treg muster - yes. Big Red Bash - no. The remoter the better.
I'm looking at exploring north west straya this year.
WA/ Pilbara here we come!
Guess that's outside the scope of this post so will gauge interest separately

·
Registered
194 Posts
What is the Big Red Bash and roughly what time of the year do you think the Muster would be on?
Starting trip Sydney - Perth and maybe north from there in May (got put back) for about 3 months but would love to try the muster if times work.
As for places anywhere out of my lounge room would be good. %^)

·
Learner
5,171 Posts
Singh, interested - dependent on work :)
great, lets see if we can pull this off Paul! Pilbara, karajini national park and the western coast is awesome, cant wait for that adventure... Thinking if csr can be done at the same time ?

·
Registered
360 Posts
What is the Big Red Bash and roughly what time of the year do you think the Muster would be on?
Starting trip Sydney - Perth and maybe north from there in May (got put back) for about 3 months but would love to try the muster if times work.
As for places anywhere out of my lounge room would be good. %^)
We did the Big Red Bash last year, but part of a 6 week outback adventure through 5 states. It is an iconic Aussie rock and country & western concert held at the Big Red dune on the edge of the Simpson Desert.... this year being held 4-6 July.

Big Red Bash

I can understand others like TimWhit wanting something less populous (last year 3000 people)... it is certainly very remote at the eastern most edge of the Simpson Desert - but this event is growing exponentially every year (see some photos from last year). In saying that, we travelled 20 kms into the Simpson and parked up camping for a few days before the concert... and there was not a person anywhere to be seen. Also did a day trip out to Poeppel Corner and back which you can leave vans behind and just enjoy a 200km day driving across the Simpson :).

The problem is that this is a 3-day event. My understanding is that the Treg Musters are typically only a 3-4 day get together (once you get there)? Putting the Treg Muster aside, the Big Red Bash is highly recommended and great adventure just getting there.

Cheers Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
great, lets see if we can pull this off Paul! Pilbara, karajini national park and the western coast is awesome, cant wait for that adventure... Thinking if csr can be done at the same time ?
Wow, you don't do things by halves do you Singh. how many months are you planning on spending in WA?

we are planning to do a Karijini trip in July, looking at about 3 weeks from Perth, Collier range, Karijini, Whitnoom, Millstream, Karratha, then back down the coast via Exmouth and Kalbarri.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Simpson Desert
Used to be a nice quiet place back in the 1970s.
A few Landrovers and early model Jap 4x4s.

·
Registered
691 Posts
"Used to be a nice quiet place back in the 1970s.
A few Landrovers and early model Jap 4x4s."

some of them are probably still there?

·
Learner
5,171 Posts
Wow, you don't do things by halves do you Singh. how many months are you planning on spending in WA? we are planning to do a Karijini trip in July, looking at about 3 weeks from Perth, Collier range, Karijini, Whitnoom, Millstream, Karratha, then back down the coast via Exmouth and Kalbarri.
July eh Ragman, lets see if we can join you there at Karajini atleast to camp under the stars and experience the beaut landscape and waterholes!

·
Registered
691 Posts
that would be awesome Singh, I have not been to Karijini before but the Pilbara and Kimberley region is magical. I doubt you will see night skies like it anywhere else.

·
Learner
5,171 Posts
that would be awesome Singh, I have not been to Karijini before but the Pilbara and Kimberley region is magical. I doubt you will see night skies like it anywhere else.
Awesome, will post separately and not hijack this thread :)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Needed!

Hi to all Aussie Touareg owners.

There hasn't been any activity on this tread for some months and, in all reality, we need to get some discussion going now if there is any chance of a 2016 Muster actually taking place this year.

At a campfire meeting at the 2015 Muster held at Trilby Station (Outback NSW), the subject for a venue for 2016 was raised and it was resolved that as a few were planning to do a Victorian High Country (VHC) trip in the new year, we would wait for their feedback before deciding on a venue for the 2016 Muster.

Concensus on the night was that the VHC was probably the most central location for most Victorian, NSW and SA members so it may be a suitable location for the 2016 meet.

Being a participant at the VHC trip, I believe that indeed the VHC would be a nice venue for the 2016 event depending on the needs of those thinking of attending.

If most attendees plan on bringing their own caravans/campers then I feel that the area we stayed on the foot hills of the Snowy Mountains at Geehi, (Khancoban area) would be a very suitable with a great camping area and some nice fire trails and tracks available however the downside is that there is very limited accommodation available for people not staying on site.

If on the other hand, we have good interest from members wishing to stay in accommodation then the Bright area (Vic), would be the go with far more demanding 4WD tracks all around and all within easy reach of first class accommodation and restaurants/eateries.

The other benefit of having the Muster in the VHC is that meet could be held as late as end of November without worrying about the summer heat.

Heve a look here for some magnificent pictures of the area;
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/vic-high-country-nov-2015-a-210977.html

Please, let's get some dialogue going as it would be a shame if we let the GTC fall through the cracks as it's a great opportunity to meet fellow members, make friends and network within the Touareg fraternity.

TonyB

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Victorian High Country is a fantastic area, has an extremely diverse range of tracks to suit all tastes, and the area in particular around Bright is certainly spectacular. October/november would be a great time with snow melt feeding all of the streams/rivers.

Matthew

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Pic of attendees at the 2015 Muster (Trilby), Sept 2015 and GTG at Harrington (NSW) Jan 2015 .

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Tony,
Good on you for regenerating this thread. I would vote for the Bright area as I think that might be a welcome reprieve from the dust and flys of previous years, and have a few more options for 4wd touring, visiting, relaxing, wining and dining. As you know, the Freeburgh CP during the VHC trip, provided all the accommodation options and could be a place to consider. Mid to late Oct probably works best for us but happy to work on that once we start to see some numbers.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts