Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front differential makes a grinding sound upon decompression when on cruise and going down a hill at 120km/h. The drive shaft was replaced earlier this year for a failing bearing.

To change the front differential, can it be done without the dealers table? Is there a way to remove the framing underneath or is the engine attached to them?
How much time should it take to replace it?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Maybe these pictures can help answer your question.... 3.0 TDI shown....

As an aside when coasting I hear a whirring noise which perhaps is the front differential. A whirring noise isn't too uncommon when you load gears opposite the way they normally are loaded.

Not sure on a grinding noise. Could be bearings or diff. Consult someone more expert than me :)

B4E62519-D685-4569-8913-E2F1921ED83C.jpeg
BE330438-E964-4AD1-B7A1-834D40F28C7F.jpeg

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
My front differential makes a grinding sound upon decompression when on cruise and going down a hill at 120km/h. The drive shaft was replaced earlier this year for a failing bearing.

To change the front differential, can it be done without the dealers table? Is there a way to remove the framing underneath or is the engine attached to them?
How much time should it take to replace it?
Diff can be removed very easily without the table but you do need a hoist

regards
Drag

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The process of differential removal is in the running gear repair PDF you can download from Erwin VW.

In short the engine is still held up by the aluminum carrier while you lower the steel suspension carrier including diff.
Thats the simple version but once you get your head around it is fairly easy (hoist available is the key + some tooling)

regards
Drag

1 - 8 of 8 Posts