Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, I am preparing to do some travelling this year and need some help with a few items.
1. Will install a pre fuel filter and require the inside diameter of the fuel hose from the fuel tank to the filter.
2. Are the screw in tow hooks the same diameter and thread across the VW range. If I need to be towed I would prefer 2 tow hooks to balance the load.
3. Is there any spare holes in the fire wall that I could pass a CB antenna cable through.
I have a 2015 V6 diesel with air suspension 7P6.
Bought the car about 6 months ago and love the car.
Placed these questions in the wrong section yesterday.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The thread direction and pitch is different in every vehicle. The stock tow hook is rated to something like 30,000 or 50,000lbs don't overthink 'balancing' it

·
Registered
867 Posts
What’s wrong with your current factory fuel filter? I don’t know if the fuel pumps will like the added strain of another filter. Unless if you plan on filling up at really crappy stations, leave it or plan your route differently.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
1. On fuel suspect routes I carry an empty 20l Jerry can (sceptre MFC) and one of these, Home
run the purchased suspect fuel through the funnel into the Jerry can, then you can either fill the tank from the clean MFC or carry it as spare. Easy peasy, portable and cheap.
2. The stock VW Touareg tow eyes that I have tested to destruction ( post #33 in Eyelet Bolts for Vehicle Recovery) have all had a minimum fail of just over 39,000 lb, so one is plenty strong, but I carry four.... one for each corner, with two 20’ bridles.
3. use an existing wire run hole/grommet, or drill and grommet yourself.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Mind you, that’s all just hang over procedure from my diesel BJ60 landcruiser days (still have it, but the Badger is more comfortable these days...)!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. On fuel suspect routes I carry an empty 20l Jerry can (sceptre MFC) and one of these, Home
run the purchased suspect fuel through the funnel into the Jerry can, then you can either fill the tank from the clean MFC or carry it as spare. Easy peasy, portable and cheap.
2. The stock VW Touareg tow eyes that I have tested to destruction ( post #33 in Eyelet Bolts for Vehicle Recovery) have all had a minimum fail of just over 39,000 lb, so one is plenty strong, but I carry four.... one for each corner, with two 20’ bridles.
3. use an existing wire run hole/grommet, or drill and grommet yourself.
Thanks for the replies.
The tow eyebolts will just be insurance with a bridle strap.
With the pre filter I will check with the manufacturer before installing. Others on this site have done this install but I I haven't found the size of the fuel hose.Travelling in remoter areas of Australia the fuel turn over may leave moisture in the tanks but we try and fill at high usage sits.
Will keep looking for an easy access through the firewall.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The problem with putting in a pre-filter to deal with water (you already know how quickly water can destroy a diesel fuel pump) and contamination issues is that you wind up having water and contaminants in your fuel tank, so fuel contaminated with bacteria and algae will live on the oil water interface (particularly in warm climates), and thrive, multiply and die and create the perpetual “black slime” that will clog your fuel filters, and create an operational nightmare.
This is why I was suggesting you address the fuel contaminants before you put suspect fuel in your tank.
The filter funnels work well, they are common in the overland and marine communities, and Racor sells them under their name (in Australia, https://ph.parker.com/au/en/fuel-filter-funnel).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem with putting in a pre-filter to deal with water (you already know how quickly water can destroy a diesel fuel pump) and contamination issues is that you wind up having water and contaminants in your fuel tank, so fuel contaminated with bacteria and algae will live on the oil water interface (particularly in warm climates), and thrive, multiply and die and create the perpetual “black slime” that will clog your fuel filters, and create an operational nightmare.
This is why I was suggesting you address the fuel contaminants before you put suspect fuel in your tank.
The filter funnels work well, they are common in the overland and marine communities, and Racor sells them under their name (in Australia, https://ph.parker.com/au/en/fuel-filter-funnel).
Thanks Badger for the reply. The fuel filters in Australia also contain a water trap in a bowl with and sensor. If necessary I may carry a fuel additive to dispense the bacteria and water. In reference to the eyebolt I read your article post #33 very informative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts