Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 4.2 with about 95k on it. When it sits for a couple of days and you get in it to go, it will not pull for a few seconds. Maybe 5. Then all is fine until it sits again for a few days. I'm assuming this has something to do with a bad internal seal somewhere letting the fluid maybe drain out of the torque converter or something? It's weird. It's been doing it for about a year. Anyone have any thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks

·
Registered
605 Posts
Check the ATF level first. Maybe change the filter cartridge and refill with new ATF. The cartridge and seal is about $25 aftermarket.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes, I'd replace the ATF and filter first.

Several threads on here about it. some say you can DIY, but personally I'd get a dealer to do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good grief how do you check the ATF? I swear I read somewhere that there isn't even a dipstick for this model. Ive looked for it and havent found it. Am I mistaken? Thanks for the replies!

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
ATF Level, Checking and Filling
  • The ATF level is specified by a permanently installed overflow tube in the oil pan.

• The ATF level is checked when fluid is a specific temperature and with engine running. The ATF temperature is read out by the Vehicle Diagnosis, Testing and Information System VAS 5051B . If the test temperature has been reached, the sealing plug in the oil pan is removed to check the ATF. Marty
Test temp is 30 C
Requoted from Depiry

There is no dipstick or sticking ones finger in the hole like we used to do in the good ol' days.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I have an '05 4.2 with about 95k on it. When it sits for a couple of days and you get in it to go, it will not pull for a few seconds. Maybe 5. Then all is fine until it sits again for a few days. I'm assuming this has something to do with a bad internal seal somewhere letting the fluid maybe drain out of the torque converter or something? It's weird. It's been doing it for about a year. Anyone have any thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks
This is exactly the behavior my V10s tranny was showing when I brought it in...they ended up replacing the entire transmission under warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh lord. I don't have fingers to stick in the hole anyway. I didn't have enough money last time I was at the dealership so they took my arms and half a leg. Anyway it's sounding like I'm screwed (out of warranty). Guess I'll just keep driving it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced my lift gate cylinders today. So I guess I'll rest on those laurels for today. At least I saved a few bucks on that!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Will it go in reverse? Or if you manually shift into first gear? I would still check the ATF level first. With the engine running, shift through all gears and leave in Park. Remove the drain bolt there should be a steady trickle. The T'regs are really nice SUVs when they work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok well 5 months later I finally got around to changing my trans fluid and filter. Boy it took me forever to figure out that the fluid goes in "UP" the big drain plug on the bottom of the pan! Damn that just goes against every ounce of my common sense. "Hey everyone I just gave my T-rag an ATF enema!" And for the love of God don't turn the T-rag engine off while your doing it or she'll crap all over you.

Seriously though for any of you other poor saps out there trying to figure out how to do this I'm attaching a single pic that explains it all. If you've done a filter change before, can Gerry rig a transfer pump with a copper tube-hook, have a 70mm hex(very important), other basic tools, and opposable thumbs it's pretty well straight forward.

This Audi photo tutorial was also a big help in solving the mystery for me.
=2693114http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=2693114

Good luck!

image-720485501.jpg

PS. For those without opposable thumbs no offense intended.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah and the jury is out on whether or not it has fixed my original problem. Need to let her sit for a few days. I'll report back in and let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Krankyoptimist said:
Oh yeah and the jury is out on whether or not it has fixed my original problem. Need to let her sit for a few days. I'll report back in and let everyone know how it goes.
Well its been over a month now and I've had no issues so far. (Knock on simulation burled wood dash.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just realized I never updated this post. It only took a month or two for the problem to return. Here we are a year later and I've just learned to live with it. Get in and start Touareg, put in reverse, take foot off brake, check email on phone, respond to boss, Touareg starts moving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts