Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Transmission Shifting at too High RPM V10 5.0

Hello, my Touareg is shifting gears at too high rpm, for example 1-2 is 2000rpm, 2-3 is just over 2000rpm and so on. Ive tried to do the throttle/gearbox reset, but it didnt help still the same. Oh and it is chipped too.
I dont know if the motor temperature effects it or not, but i have a problem with that too. In the city the temp. is about 90C, on highway it cools down to 50C and when in park(engine on) 50C

VW Touareg V10 5.0 03/2004

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
temperature behaviour sounds very wrong.
get it checked out, maybe a water temp sender issue..
not sure about gearbox, i have the r5 and it does not seem to overly hold gears when 'cold'

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Edited as I just re-read the OP and missed the temp comment.

Sorry, not many folk on here with holidays. I wish I could be of help, but I am a gasser guy with no V10 experience. Give it a day or so and members will be back online. This is one of the times I have seen so few members logged in.

Based on my (probably useless perspective) it would seem perhaps related to temp reading with ecu trying to warm things up or possible a switch (for sport setting for example) was kaput. I have heard of someone who had the transmission stuck in sport or couldn't use drive rather (overheard while waiting at a dealer).

If you manually shift does it drive normal? If it does, than I would think there isn't a motor, but electrical / switch issue. If it doesn't than????

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the manual mode it shifts down very well, but when i try to shift up it only shiftes at a spesific amount of rpm up.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
gear issue sounds like some sort of limp mode given another sensor for shifting is kaput...
you need to read the codes on this one...(for temp and gear issue).

if the car is new to you, are you shifting gear lever into "D" or "S" mode...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a v10 Touareg few weeks ago and sold it and now bought a new v10 again. And im driving in D not S. In S (sport) gear it shifts about 2500rpm. Ill do a obd scan on auto trans and the cooling temp.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just checked the car with vcds and there are no codes in Auto Trans. This could be because 3 days ago i was in a dealer and he deleted the codes to see what codes come back after a week. Yesterday i readed in a forum or somewere in the internet that one man said the overdrive gear is on, but i dont know if VW Touareg 2004 V10 5.0 has a overdrive gear, and if it does how can i turn it on/off.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There's no overdrive gear.

I'd suggest you return the car to it's standard VW engine mapping and see if the problem goes away as it sounds to me like the high RPM gearbox changes may be connected.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Go back to the tuner or visit your VW dealer.

·
Super Moderator
9,573 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a bad tune on that thing. I would get rid of the chip and return it to stock to see what happens.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today i was in the city and the engine warmed up to 90C and the car started to shift very good (like normal). And i yesterday i was at a dealer and he sayd that the thermostat is broken, thats because the engine dont warm up. But now comes the question maybe when i replace the thermostat then the gearbox will start to shift normal, because the engine will warm up then and the gearbox dont have to hold gears to warm the engine. So if this is the problem then i will replace it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
In that case, change the gearbox ATF at the same time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts