Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove the transmission without removing the engine on my 2004 3.2 V6?

If yes, has anyone done it? Any tips?

I sold my 2004 V6 to a friend and the tranny stopped working. I told him I would fix it if there was a problem and now that time has arrived.

I had previously replaced the valve body and it ran well for over 20,000 miles. It currently has 96,000 miles on it. I took it to a VW dealer and they said it needed to be replaced. I've replaced the output speed sensor and diagnosed the transmission codes several times over the past three years but it currently isn't developing any oil pressure inside the tranny, it's as if the pump isn't working.

Is the pump a vane pump?

I'm going to inspect the o-ring that fits between the filter and the main part of the transmission this weekend but if that doesn't reveal a problem I will need to replace the transmission. I've already found a good used one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I currently don't have any codes so no indication of wiring or sensor problems. I did just find that the pump is a gear driven pump, not a vane pump, it's in the Self Study Program for the O9D tranny.

The question still remains, is the transmission removable without removing the engine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
09D Repair Manual found, I personally like the Russians.

Those Russians..........they always find the complex technical stuff.

Below is a repair manual for the 09D Transmission. It's much more technical than the Self Study Program (SSP) but you can tell a lot of the SSP was taken from this manual.

http://vwts.ru/vw_doc2/trans/09d/atsg_09d_eng.pdf

(Having trouble getting a direct link to the article)

I'm still looking for an answer to my original question:

Can the transmission be removed without removing the engine?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can the transmission be removed without removing the engine??

Asking again to see if I can get a "Yes" and some guidance from someone who's done it.

Anyone?

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I have never heard of it being done with a V6 TDI. Memory says that someone here once managed to extract a gasoline V6 by pulling it straight up and past the hood. That should in theory get you to be able to do it with the V6 gas.

I would say 100% impossible with the V10, and doubtful with the V6 TDI and with the V8. But, I am just guessing here.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/3-2-v6-engine-removal-189730-2.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts