Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'08 V8. I'm going to be towing a 5500lb boat/trailer in a few weeks. My scanner will graph live trans temps, so I'm wondering what the normal operating temps are for the transmission as well as a max, if one is published.

Thanks! - Bill

·
Registered
555 Posts
Specs is -40...+150 °C. Actual temperature heavily depends on load, ambient temperature and driving pattern, but generally will be around 70..90 °C max. Heavy towing most likely will push it way above 100 °C.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent. Thank you! I'm scanning around 85-88 around town. I want to scan it while I'm towing so as not to overheat it. May I ask where you referenced this data?

Thanks again - Bill

·
Registered
555 Posts
Excellent. Thank you! I'm scanning around 85-88 around town. I want to scan it while I'm towing so as not to overheat it.
You have no reason to worry until your reach 130-140 °C and above, at which point the transmission control unit will initiate countermeasures to lower the temperature anyway, like applying the converter clutch more frequently or limit engine power output. However, transmission fluid degradation will double with every 20 °C above 110 °C. So, that's something to consider.

May I ask where you referenced this data?
Service documentation for TR60SN transmission by Volkswagen, Aisin and ATSG.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If I were towing I'd fit an accessory fluid cooler and accessory oil filter. like I had on my Explorer.
The Explorer has a built in thermostat for the standard trans fluid cooler.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It's a boat, and as a result it's fairly aerodynamic. The Touaregs are well designed, and shouldn't overheat with that kind of load. Check out the towing thread forum and you'll see that many of us pull all sorts of things with anything from a v6 gasser to a v10 diesel.

Tow your boat and enjoy your trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
TurboABA
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing