Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

So I'm having issues with the transmission in my '04 V8.

Mechanic is going to send the valve body to be repaired, and will do a full oil flush etc.

I had asked initially when we were not sure if the entire transmission needed reconditioning/repair, if the transmission can be replaced with a used part from another vehicle. The mechanic said this is not possible due to the coding. Is this correct???

Would there be any issue replacing the valve body with a used or reconditioned part from another car?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am sure the transmission can be replaced, but as your mechanic says, you would have to recode the transmission to "connect" it to your car.

As far as replacing the valve body, no issues at all. I don't think I would go with a reconditioned part, for something like the valve body I would purchase it new. Also, I would recommend searching, there are a few threads discussing how to do this.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
First up ... Tranny issue ... what is the prob ???? i can only assume so much.

Clunck ???? then get the valve body done end of story .... and the right one at that....

What else do you have which is worrying you ????

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First up ... Tranny issue ... what is the prob ???? i can only assume so much.

Clunck ???? then get the valve body done end of story .... and the right one at that....

What else do you have which is worrying you ????
Yep, lots of awful clunks.

I just haven't used this mechanic before, so was wanting to confirm if what he said re using tranny from other car was correct. Others have said you could use a part from a wrecker, he said no.

As far as the valve body, just deciding whether to fix mine, get a reconditioned one, or buy a new one. Think I'll go for the new option.

As you asked what else is worrying me, all of this would not be such a headache if I did not just have to:

Replace the battery
Replace the fuel pump
One new MAF
Major water leak from sunroof drains causing issues with my electrics.
Intake manifold seized up and rods broken

Gee I love this car :(

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
no need to code. The gearbox is essentially mechanical. The electrical part that controls the gearbox is separate from the gearbox.

Just swap and go.

Reactions: panoramic

·
Registered
70 Posts
As far as the valve body, just deciding whether to fix mine, get a reconditioned one, or buy a new one. Think I'll go for the new option.
You're probably best off having your valve body repaired/upgraded or exchanging it for one that already has been ie: 09D TR60SN OEM Updated Valve Body 2003-2004 W\ Pressure Switches (Porsche V6/V8)

Swapping over a used valve body may solve your problems for a while, but the factory design is prone to failing (worn out valve bores). Go for an upgraded valve body that has those issues addressed. Even a brand new valve body is likely to go bad sooner or later. A refurbished and upgraded unit is probably cheaper too.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You're probably best off having your valve body repaired/upgraded or exchanging it for one that already has been ie: 09D TR60SN OEM Updated Valve Body 2003-2004 W\ Pressure Switches (Porsche V6/V8)

Swapping over a used valve body may solve your problems for a while, but the factory design is prone to failing (worn out valve bores). Go for an upgraded valve body that has those issues addressed. Even a brand new valve body is likely to go bad sooner or later. A refurbished and upgraded unit is probably cheaper too.
Good advice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just bought a refurb valve body from Reamman.com a few weeks ago. Install was relatively easy. Just mail back the core to save the extra money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts