Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

Every time I come to a conclusion about whats wrong with my transmission I get thrown for another loop (either by the car or the infamous Google Search).

Here are my issues with my 04 V8 - 35k on the odo.

- Shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. 2nd - 3rd is rough but not as bad as 1-2. (regardless of terrain, flat, hilly, downhill)
- Coming up a hill it will stay in 3rd and then try to rev match into second which it does terribly. The worst is 2nd to 1st, terrible rev match with a jerk.
- Going up a hill from a stop, it will go from 1st to 2nd jerky and then it will stay in 2nd regardless of throttle input. I end up shifting it into 3rd using the shifter and it has plenty of power and rpms to support third. So who knows why it doesnt do it on its own.

- In bumper traffic when you let off the brake to let the car creep forward, it has a very faint jerky feel. Almost like a misfire kind of feel.

- When taking off from a stop the throttle feels like an ON/OFF switch. I've down TB cleaning and adaptation doesnt help.
- Did Trans adaptation, no difference.
- Reset the whole car, no difference.
- NO Vag codes.

- Now heres the kicker. When the tank is more than 3/4 full it has this odd shifting. When the tank is near empty the car still has these same problems but the shifts aren't as bad, and are livable.
I think this is due to the weight difference, but I could be wrong.

When its hot out (70+ degrees) the car acts up. When its cold out (40+ degrees) the jerks are still present but not as bad.

What are your thoughts & opinions. All .02 cents are welcome. Im getting to a point where I LOVE LOVE LOVE this Treg but this issue is making me wanna sell it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
- In bumper traffic when you let off the brake to let the car creep forward, it has a very faint jerky feel. Almost like a misfire kind of feel.
That sounds like the Valve Body and / or switches. Have you flushed the Transmission fluid? Despite the low miles, the ATF could be cooked.....

The other thing I would look at is fuel filter / fuel pumps - at that age (04 ) and mileage (35k), I'm guessing it sat around alot - perfect for Ethanol fuel to gunk up. But.... Those issues would manifest themsleves clearly at higher RPM's - so if it's running fine at 5000-6000 rpm, it's probably not the fuel filter or fuel pumps.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
valve body.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sell.

·
Registered
510 Posts
How about the basics:
How long have you owned it?
How long has it been doing it?
Does the car have any modifications? (Chips, Tunes, etc.)
Other than research what have you done to correct the problem?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
have you reset it?
have you checked ATF level?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your reply gents,

I have contemplated doing a fluid & filter replacement on the tranny, and most likely will have it done in January. Reason being why I have not done this yet was simply because I wanted to get thoughts & opinions on my symptoms first. For all I could have come to find out it may have just been a flash the TCU needed, haha.

Several mentioned sell the Touareg. It has crossed my mind one or two times. However when I take it for the day, and ditch the GTI, I remember just how great this suv really is. So I begin the process of rethinking my decision to sell it. ](*,) Begin step one again.

Gahhh decisions decisions.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Driving a transmission that is not shifting properly is just adding to the possibility of damage.
ALWAYS check the level and change the fluid as a first step (assuming you are not planning on dumping the car).
Have you checked your cooling system for any signs of ATF contamination? (Assuming that a common radiator and ATF cooler are used on our cars)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
ATF cooler is standalone on the touareg with it's own thermostat. It doesn't have the opportunity to mix with the coolant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.