Club Touareg Forum banner

101 - 120 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
i have 04 v6 approx 53000 miles with the same problem. the question is, do i HAVE TO replace valve body? if i don't replace the valve body to save a few thousand $$$ now, will it cause more serious problem down the line? if valve body replacement is just to get rid of this annoying jerking/sudden shift then maybe i'm with alpha60, i'll just avoid it by switching into manual gear.

It's up to you if you always want to manually shift your transmission... If anything, It may get annoying, and even if you forget to put it in Manual mode, and it Bangs down a gear, it's not very good for the driveline... We all know that Banging sound, and its pretty violent... I think it's almost the same as reving it up in Neutral, and then slamming it into gear while revved up :(

I don't see any reason for you to keep shifting manually to help buy time before you fix the actual problem?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey all~ Thanks to this site I was knowledgeable when I took my '04 V8 to the dealer to fix the thud/lunge problem from 5th to 6th and from 5th to 4th. I had my Carmax warranty (MaxCare), but took it directly to VW to have them check it out. They agreed that the valve body needed to be replaced! When they called to get authorization from MaxCare, VW said they couldn't guarantee that the valve body would fix it, so they decided to authorize a new transmission! I only have to pay the $75 deductible and can't wait to get my Treg back to see how she feels shifting now.

***Carmax warranty is well worth it! I also had my ball joints and control arms replaced under warranty a couple of months ago... so this warranty has paid for itself a couple times over.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey all~ Thanks to this site I was knowledgeable when I took my '04 V8 to the dealer to fix the thud/lunge problem from 5th to 6th and from 5th to 4th. I had my Carmax warranty (MaxCare), but took it directly to VW to have them check it out. They agreed that the valve body needed to be replaced! When they called to get authorization from MaxCare, VW said they couldn't guarantee that the valve body would fix it, so they decided to authorize a new transmission! I only have to pay the $75 deductible and can't wait to get my Treg back to see how she feels shifting now.

***Carmax warranty is well worth it! I also had my ball joints and control arms replaced under warranty a couple of months ago... so this warranty has paid for itself a couple times over.
To change out a transmission they'll have to pull the entire engine. You'll also get an alignment out of the deal. Problem is, they'll have to pull the engine out of the truck to change the transmission. Look forward to mysterious thumps and bumbs from your suspension, squeaks, creaks and vibrations from your dash, broken fasteners and clips in the engine bay, low fluids, scratches in the paint and other installation problems with your new to you rebuilt transmission.

Not trying to be an ass, but getting the transmission swapped out is not always a good thing. And, it might not solve the problem. I'd ask them to swap out the TCU first to see if that changes the drivability issues you are seeing. A LOT less expensive, which is why I don't understand why they don't eliminate that as the problem first.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow. Thanks for raining on my parade Eleven. I'm just stoked I dont have to pay $5000+ for a new tranny that will most likely fix the shifting problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same issue and the shifting has gotten progressively worse.
Changing the ROW setting masked this for about 5 months, but its back now.
My question is does anyone have any shaking happening?
When I'm in between 40-50 mph there's a light shuddering that I can feel in my seat, pedals, steering wheel, etc.
It's so annoying that I avoid going 40-50 at all costs.
Of course when taking it to the dealer..they claim they can't feel it, so therefore there's nothing wrong.

I recently had a recalled coil pack catch on fire and got VWOA involved and it turned nasty. They reminded me in every sentence that my 5 year warranty is up in December and that they're not liable for the fire or anything having to do with "outside variables".
They refused to fix anything even after speaking with 2 managers and the regional manager.
There was no way in hell I was letting the dealer rip me off to fix it.
So I took my car elsewhere against the dealer's discression, and they said, along with VWOA that by doing that can void my warranty.
-Regardless....
The shifting problem I can't ignore anymore...let alone the 5-7 second delay when I need to speed up and cannot.
Running red lights...ya wow.. I look like a fool when there's that delay and then it's confused on how to shift and skips gears.

I know without a doubt that when I take it back to the dealer for this problem...they either won't find it or VWOA along with them will weasel their way out of fixing it because of the prior incident.

So I guess I'm on my own. I would rather fix it anyway after recently deciding to do all my own work and discovering the poor poor quality of repairs that the only vw dealers in the area have done to my car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There is a current recall on coil packs on the Touaregs. I had all mine replaced by VW dealer based upon a letter I received. Not too sure if the V6's were involved in the recall, but you can search the TSB on them and see what's going on. I don't know what the ramifications are for a dealer and the corporate company ignoring a TSB, but you may want to contact the NHTSA and find out.
For the shudder, that could be the center support bearing... no warranty on that, it'll cost you, but it sounds to me that it's bad.
The transmission is most likely the valve body. it cost $1900 on mine, but with extended warranty, i only paid $100. Print out this entire thread and take it to the dealer.

Sounds to me like a ****ty dealership. I'd look for another VW dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
lamos,

i have never had shaking at any speed.

sorry about your ongoing issues, must agree with fly that you have a really crappy dealer, or (sorry, but) are you just whining to them too much that they suck without getting to the real issue? are you under warranty?

with this thread printed, any decent dealer will have all the info, all the steps needed to complete their obligation to fix the tranny, either for $ or under warranty. i have trouble believing that there is a VW dealer anywhere who is not fully aware of this issue.

and the coils are recall.

if you are under warranty, there is not reason for VW not to replace the valve body for under $100 cost to you, and the coils for free.

also, check this thread:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/2004-touareg-transmission-41394-2.html

"in short, if anyone finds themselves with this issue, it seems the logical steps are:
1) update software - v. low $ cost.
2) drive it, if it continues and manual shift is not an option for you, then
3) change valve body ~$1,200 parts, plus minimal labor."

re: shaking, would suggest fixing the valve body and coils, enjoying the ride, then seeing if the shaking is still there.

go find another dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
AAhhhhhh, i have this problem on my 04 v8 as well. have a 4 month old baby in the car and it's been really a bad experience.
I know that a software was mentioned above; but is this something that will fix it? and should this not be something that VW would want to fix as a defect??????
I'm not very car SAVVY and wanted to know where i can get this CD and how i can istall it?
thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm starting to have a slight stuttering downshifting from 2nd to 1st. it started two days ago. It only happens when I'm parking (also feel it in reverse). Is there a TSB regarding this software update?
I got a late model 04 v6

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm a new owner of a '04 V8 that's displaying similar symptoms to what's described in this thread. Its off warranty, so I took it to a local transmission shop that I've trusted with my other branded vehicles.

One thing the transmission tech brought up as a potential cause of the issue is uneven tire wear and/or different tires front vs. back. Apparently he has seen newer, computerized vehicles (not VW specific) with full-time four wheel drive systems that will cut out all power output (from the transmission) if it senses uneven tire rotation and/or too much torque strain in the drive-train, when output surpasses a certain "torque threshold".

My Touareg has nearly new tires on the back, and nearly worn out tires on the front. He says this may be causing the problem. I'm going to change the tires to a set of four winter tires that are evenly worn and see if this makes a difference.

My question - have any of you heard about this issue causing issues with the transmission and/or transfer case?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm a new owner of a '04 V8 that's displaying similar symptoms to what's described in this thread. Its off warranty, so I took it to a local transmission shop that I've trusted with my other branded vehicles.

One thing the transmission tech brought up as a potential cause of the issue is uneven tire wear and/or different tires front vs. back. Apparently he has seen newer, computerized vehicles (not VW specific) with full-time four wheel drive systems that will cut out all power output (from the transmission) if it senses uneven tire rotation and/or too much torque strain in the drive-train, when output surpasses a certain "torque threshold".

My Touareg has nearly new tires on the back, and nearly worn out tires on the front. He says this may be causing the problem. I'm going to change the tires to a set of four winter tires that are evenly worn and see if this makes a difference.

My question - have any of you heard about this issue causing issues with the transmission and/or transfer case?
I don't believe your tire situation will be causing that... It is a very hard down-shift, as you've probably experienced.

Back to your post, you really should be using similarly worn tires on your Touareg, as it is always in AWD. Smaller diameter differences between the wheels could and will pre-maturely wear out your awd drive train, as the front wheels may be spinning faster than the rear wheels, therefore, wearing out the clutches in your transfer case. After you buy new tires, just be sure to rotate them regularly to prevent this.

Good Luck with your transmission... Most users here have reported sucess from replacing the valve body, and a new ECM update to the tranny (if it isn't already done)... In my situation, a new valve body didn't fix my problem, and VWOA replaced my transmission with a new one.

Do you have extended warranty?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you have extended warranty?
Sure DON'T have extended warranty. I just purchased it from a seller in Edmonton actually. Got it back to Saskatoon and it developed this issue with the transmission. The previous owner put the new tires only on the rear. Wish I would have been more aware of 4x4's and uneven tire wear when I purchased it (not to mention the transmission)... Regretting buying this one now.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Tregs are very sensitive to transmission wind up if tyres are 2mm or more different in tread depth side to side on the same axle or 3mm or more different in tread depth front axle to back axle.

All four tyres should be the same make, pattern and tread depth as tyre sizes are nominal and it is possible for a 235/65/17 in one make and model to be several mm different in overall diameter to the same size in another make and model even if the actual tread depth appears to be identical.

A really hard jolt on downshift , usually 5th to 4th, is normally a sign of a duff gearbox valve chest.

Failure to fix - in the UK it's GB£1,400 or thereabouts - can cause serious damage to the even more expensive gearbox.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'm starting to have a slight stuttering downshifting from 2nd to 1st. it started two days ago. It only happens when I'm parking (also feel it in reverse). Is there a TSB regarding this software update?
I got a late model 04 v6
Sounds like a new stepper motor may be required.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm also having a similar problem, usually happens when I accelerate after rolling on second that I hear a thud, and not smooth change from 2nd to 3rd (tiptronic doesn't solve it). If I drive gently though, problem doesn't persist. I also have the delayed acceleration problem, have to press gas 5 seconds in advance not to look like a fool while signaling and waiting. Before the weather warmed up I also heard a rattling kind of noise coming from within the dashboard, some suggested it's a loud transfer case. Another problem that has not repeated recently, is when I reverse there was a click/snap noise which happened only once per reverse. My 2006 v6 is out of warranty with 87,000 km. I'm guessing it's valve chest problem as most people are pointing out?

ps. Dealer decided to tell me about ignition coil recall only 3 days ago when I called them regarding valve chest problem... I am not happy at all with VW Canada.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi, I have the same 5 to 4 downshift issue. I talked to dealer and he will check the latest SW update if there exists any for my TCU. My question is to they charge for SW upgrade?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sorry, but your gearbox is displaying the very well documented, increasingly common, and absolutely classic symptom of needing a new valve chest.

I very much doubt a software tweak will fix this for you.

101 - 120 of 303 Posts