Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having problems with transmission and a hard down shift from 5 to 4? Recently having a solid, thud, when slowing down in city traffic. Curious...dealer reset the computer but the problem is back in a week.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yup, mines going in tomorrow again for the same stupid problem. Seems to be the tranny I think. Is your super harsh? feels llike you got rear ended?

·
Registered
295 Posts
GoozieNZ said:
There is a VW sotware update available for the transmission to cure this problem.
Details! I have had my stepper, transfer case, rear prop w/bearing, and the entire 6 sp replaced in attempts to stop the clanking into gear!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Problem description

Hard sometimes noisy shiftback mainly from 5th to 4th gear after a longer motorway journey when rolling without load.

Juddering when shifting up from 1st to 2nd gear, cold.

Delayed gearshift after changing down from 2nd to 1st gear.

• No entry in the fault memory.
• Do not confuse this entry with "Hard shiftback under load" (TPL No. 2008922).

Cause

Unfavourable tolerances in the hydraulics of the automatic gearbox.

Unfavourable adjustment of the gearbox software.

Production solution

Modified gearbox software

from Chassis No. 7L 5D 058331

Service solution

Update software in the gearbox control unit.

With the Brand CD 07.57 all VAS 5051/5052 users get the guided fault finding also on the Flash CD version 011 for above problem.

• Connect the battery charger to the vehicle battery.
• The brand CD from V.07.57.00 and the basic CD version from 7.00.00 must be installed.

Online software update:

• Perform the update online with the software version management.
• The VAS 5051 must be connected to the workshop network and the diagnosis interface of the vehicle.
• Select guided fault finding and the vehicle/engine.
• Select Software version management via Function/component selection.
• Select Adjust control unit. Enter diagnosis address 02.
• Follow the instructions on the tester.

Software update per CD:

• Insert the CD "Software adjustment for Volkswagen control units" from version 011 in the CD-ROM drive of the VAS 5051.
• Select guided fault finding and the vehicle/engine.

Select the following steps in the function/component selection

1. Drive
2. Automatic 6 speed gearbox 09D
3. 01 self-diagnosis system
4. Functions
5. Software adjustment of gearbox control unit
6. Follow the instructions on the tester.

Accounting instructions

Service number/damage code/manufacturer 3730/039...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Fan-tas-tic! Thanks!

Update: North Penn Imports' Treg Wiz Ralph believes the front differential spider gears were damaged by my previous drivetrain issues.

All this because of defective software... 24 months after purchase, 50,000 miles and weeks and weeks without my truck. All because of defective software.

Thanks again, Goozie.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shifting

I wonder if this the same problem I am having.

a) Sometimes, when I step on the gas, it takes a second or two to accelarate
b) If I am doing about 30 miles x hr, take my foot off the pedal, and accelarate at 25, it stalls and after a second or two, I feel the acceleratio kick in

My Touareg is a 2007 V6. It has 600 miles, took it to my dealer and the mechanic said it is normal. He claims it takes a while for the transmission to change gears. I think this is dangerous. I dont like it.

What do you think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same problem

hsierra and goozieNZ,

My 2004 V6 Treg has recently started this behavior as well. It feels as though I hit something, it jerks so hard. It occurs mainly when slowing down..then accelerating. It is really an unsettling feeling.

goozieNZ: the gearbox software update that you mention...is it covered under warranty? What was your experience when you took the T-reg in?

Thanks in advance!
Boardnchic72

·
Registered
295 Posts
Latest transmission update:

Replaced the front differential and drive shaft. Spider gear worn out.

Fixed most of the jerking/clunking that I (accurately) described as massive gear lash.

But I still have issues when decelerating and then accelerating as happens in stop-and-go traffic or when going up and down hilly roads at a slow speed, as in town.

MADDING!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have had this problem since June. I took this into my dealership and actually demonstrated this issue to them after they denied that there was a problem...

They had it for a week and told me that they actually hooked up the computer to a modem so the engineers in MI could download the latest software version, and that it was fixed.

It was fixed alright--for 1 day. I've called them once a week since this service call which was the end of July. There answer is always the same... As soon as they know what the problem is they will contact me to get the vehicle serviced.

Reading this yesterday prompted me to call VW direct and complain. The operator on the line told me that she is going to look into the issue and will contact me in 24 hours with a solution.

I have to question what physical damage is happening to my drivetrane every time this happens. I don't know about you guys, but this is an extremely violent experience, as though I just rear ended another car at 60 mph. It is really scary.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Two weeks ago they replaced some actuator in the rear differential. Helped clear many of the symptoms, but not all of them.

v10touareg said:
Reading this yesterday prompted me to call VW direct and complain. The operator on the line told me that she is going to look into the issue and will contact me in 24 hours with a solution.

I have to question what physical damage is happening to my drivetrane every time this happens. I don't know about you guys, but this is an extremely violent experience, as though I just rear ended another car at 60 mph. It is really scary.
Yes, it can indeed be violent. And the thing is, it is intermittent. Nearly as I can tell, it is more likely to happen when stopping on a hill (either up or downward), or accelleration from a steady-state and within a specific gear. Fifth gear is the easiest gear for me to "demonstrate" the slamming.

As for internal damage, all I know is that it sounds horrible. I've already had every stinking piece but the read diff changed. It seems to correct certain segments of the problem, but not all.

Honestly, I think the problem cascaded down to the entire driveline. Even if it was once the stepper, the constant shocks beat the sh*t out of the following gears, ruining them.

I AM READY TO DRIVE THIS THING THROUGH VW'S HQ!!!!! :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :censored: :anger:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I have had the same harsh downshift into fourth that seems to be being described here. Tonight on the way home, I watched the MFI on an off-ramp that it routinely does it on, and was surprised that the MFI indicator jumped directly from 6th to 4th while coasting up the off-ramp. According to the MFI, it completely skipped 5th, and the downshift was pretty harsh. I don't know if the described software update addresses this or not, but I plan on bringing this up with my dealer soon, as I'm at 20K miles and need to get the service done.

I'd keep an eye on the MFI if you have somewhere that repeaedly causes that harsh coasting downshift to see if it behaves like this.

Hope this helps,
Matt

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have experienced some touaregs with faulty auto tranmission valve bodies. I have replaced 2 on V10's and one on a V8. There is no fault logged when it happens. It feels like the car slams into gear, there is a loud bang and it feels like the engine is about to fall out. Valve bodies have cured this on all 3 vehicles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
295 Posts
GoozieNZ said:
I have experienced some touaregs with faulty auto tranmission valve bodies. I have replaced 2 on V10's and one on a V8. There is no fault logged when it happens. It feels like the car slams into gear, there is a loud bang and it feels like the engine is about to fall out. Valve bodies have cured this on all 3 vehicles. Hope this helps.
Been there, done that, got the valve body. That is sooooo five repairs ago :drunk:

Seriously, that's propably a good place to look for shifting woes. In my case though, whatever started the drivetrain damage cascaded through the entire system, damaging each component along the way.

Not only am I getting the occassional "slam" but something very strange happens with my stopping on a hill. As the transmission downshifts into each gear, it feels like a new, 16yo driver with a clutch. (This is strange in of itself, why not remain in whatever gear until it stops as with conventional autos?)

Heading up to North Penn to see my bud Ralph the Touareg man today. We'll see... I feel like I spend more time with them than my wife.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You guys have described my symptoms to a tee.

It is always intermittent...

It always seems to happen on a hill, obviously when slowing or accelerating...

It now shifts into first gear while coasting to a stop like someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick shift… This started about 60 days ago…

This is obviously not an isolated situation based on our driving habits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Touareg Transmission slams

2004 V6 owner. Just found this site by searching for "touareg transmission problems". VERY INTERESTING to read this as my dealer gave me the "I have know idea what you are talking about" look. Our symptom is that when going up hill, typically at exactly 30 mpg, the car slams a gear and it feels like you hit a tree. I actually wrenched my thumb on the wheel today when it happened as we all lurched forward. It is begining to happen at other speeds, like on the highway, and it's equally violent. Everyone in the car asks if we were hit from behind. This is scary, and now I'm ticked to read that my dealer should have heard about this, as they "checked the car out" for an entire day and did nothing except say they found no faults.

·
Registered
295 Posts
North Penn disappointed me last week. I wrote an extensive email to the service advisor describing the stopping-on-a-hill problem with the gear slam.

He did not pass it along to Ralph the ubertech. As it happened, a VW engineer was visiting from Detroit - and he had a German engineer with him.

Since the SA didn't report my symptom, they claimed the steady-state gear lash problem "was just lke my own 07!" and never bother to try to find the downshift trouble.

Now I am getting really pissed. It's like driving a worn out Buick.

No, strike that. I've driven a worn out Buick with kick-ass 340 in it. The only thing it slammed was the gas guage needle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
GoozieNZ said:
In February, after 45 continuous days in the shop, the Valve Body was replaced and I haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Same issue...same cure.

I brought my Touareg in and took my tech for a test drive. I had done my home work and was prepared, but no need. He immediately told me it was the valve body and that he had replaced 2 of them on other Touaregs. He ordered my part and it arrived the next day and was in my Touareg the day after that.

Now she shifts gears like the day I first brought her home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too...

Ouch!

Dealer diagnosed the exact same issue today, and stated that I need a new tranny @ $8.3k US. Told me that current flash s/w doesn't resolve issue.

My wife and I (and now daughter with the 2007 Rabbit) have been driving 8 different Audi/VWs since 1985. I've averaged well in excess of 35k miles per year with five of them. This is the first time I have ever had a issue of this magnitude. My VW/AUDI dealer of 22 years is trying on my behalf to negotiate a VWoA $$ contribution to the replacement, or trade assistance to upgrade to an '08. If this is not settled to my satisfaction, I will never purchase an Audi or VW again.

My Loyalty to VW/Audi:
1969 Beetle(College Years 1980-1983)
1985 GTI
1988 Audi 80
1998 Audi A6
2001 New Beetle
2003 New Beetle Cabriolet
2004 Touareg V6
2005 Audi TT 2.0 Quatrro
2007 Rabbit

1 - 20 of 296 Posts
About this Discussion
295 Replies
107 Participants
WisdomAdjah
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing