Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Touareg with towing package, towing a 5000 lb travel trailer. Do I need to install a transmission cooler? ;)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hi, transmission already have its own radiator and thermostat, if you have concerns about its effectiveness you can scan the transmission control module with vag com VCDS and see real time oil temperature when you think that tranny is really hot and you have done lot of towing :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
If there is a way. I would absolutely do it. I have towed and plowed my whole life. I have never ever relied on factory Transmission cooling. Aftermarket was always better. I was rarely getting Transmission rebuilt as well. And I had 11 vehicles at one time. Owning upwards of thirty.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I have a 2014 Touareg with towing package, towing a 5000 lb travel trailer. Do I need to install a transmission cooler? ;)
Definitely not. You already have the higher rate 850 watt coolant fan too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Morning VW owners,
Despite the above , I ask this,
Good morn VW owners,
I’m looking at changing from SZ Territory to Touareg and being used to our Territory complete with additional transmission oil cooler,my question to you experienced Touareg owners..is adding another transmission oil cooler necessary?
Our Territory seems to operate well now that additional oil cooling is provided,what’s the general consensus?
If some have installed additional what was fitted?
Thanks for your wisdom,
Cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just got back from a 7300 mile trip towing my 16' Scamp at about 3000 lbs plus equipment in the car. (2012 TDI Exec.)
Climbed mountains through passes etc with no problems driving the speed limit.
The turbo Diesel is really great at altitude etc.
Averages 20 + mpg for the trip.
No I don't think an extra cooler is needed.
The car is rated for 7700 lbs towing so 5000 is a piece of cake.
The total GCVW is around 14000 as I remember

·
Registered
132 Posts
I watched the next video from the same guy where he pulls the V* with the TDI up the tallest hill around from Salt Lake to Park Cith (4000') and he says it overheated, but the car actually gave no indication other than when the oil temp went over about 220*F the water temp started to climb.
Since the engine coolant (AKA Water Radiator) also cools the engine oil via it's heat exchanger when the thermostat for the oil fully opens it transfers the heat to the water.
When the water temp increases to the point where it is all the way open then the water temp rises (normal)
As all of this happens the transmission cooler is doing the same thing so basically the water temp shows the temps for all of the systems and if it is programmed in a similar manner to the 2.0 TDIs the computer tells you what it wants you to know anyway.
If the temp starts to rise all it is saying is that the radiator is carrying the load and is not being regulated by the thermostat any longer and you are in the zone where more load increases the temps up to the point where the car is at the max.
At sea level a 50 - 50 blend of water and antifreeze boils at 223*F and then when you add the pressurized system pressure of about 1 bar (14.5 psi) the boiling point goes up to 253*F.
I would probably reduce the load to stay below 220, but I don't know what the max would be.
I assume that the VW warning system would warn you right after it overheats (HAHA).
While towing all throughout the South West up mountains etc. the temp never came of the normal reading after it warmed up anyway.
Tow and be careful. Hopefully as always

·
Registered
2 Posts
Touareg owners,
Thank you for your valued replies,most appreciated.
Sounds like I’ll shift so easily to towing with Touareg, as I ought to
have expected.
One other thing though, what style of add on rear vision mirrors are the norm’
during wide caravan towing,I like the clear view however, fitting elephant ears to a Touareg
would , I believe, be criminal!
Positive replies are appreciated.
cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Touareg owners,
Thank you for your valued replies,most appreciated.
Sounds like I’ll shift so easily to towing with Touareg, as I ought to
have expected.
One other thing though, what style of add on rear vision mirrors are the norm’
during wide caravan towing,I like the clear view however, fitting elephant ears to a Touareg
would , I believe, be criminal!
Positive replies are appreciated.
cheers,
Mick.
Milenco Grand Aero - if they're available in your market

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
For the temps... You can get a device, such as a scan gauge if you are worried.

Or a generic obd reader connected to a small android tablet and using a app to view additional sensors.

You could monitor coolant temp, engine oil temp, and transmission oil temp. That should cover the basics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts