Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread the other day and I came across mention of european transmission coding.

they mentioned it was( 0004200 ) I was wondering if this is a valid code and if it is what is the difference from the other coding

I have spockcat's installation instructions on the paddle shifters. and the information for transmission coding is:

0004153 for US spec
0004136 for European

So what is the difference in both of these transmission codes?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I beleive it has to do with Hill Holding Assist when not in LOW range.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I will have to do some experimentation with the different coding configuration.
I pulled out the VAG COM to see what coding I had.
Luckily The VAG COM in the coding window has a hint list that shows the coding for the different markets.
It had Two codes listed for Europe: 4136 ( up toMY 05) & 4200 (from MY 06).
I am trying the most recent code of 4200 it seems to have smother shifts now and is more prone to run the higher faster and experienced the hill holder while driving home in stop and go traffic up a hill no less.
The hill holder cut in is a little to agressive for me so I may try the most recent US code and see if the shifts are still as smooth as the most recent US setting.
Overall the shifts are smoother so I am impressed with that but If I did not have so much stop and go uphills I would leave it at this setting. I will trying other and see which I like better.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Sounds like progress. I may have to try the trans coding on mine to see how it does, because I'm not really pleased with the shifting in "D" on mine. "S" is better, but doesn't engage 5th gear in just around town, 45mph cruising, so it's a gas waste.

Thanks for the codes and info. I may give the 4200 code a shot with my el-cheapo eBay Vag-Com cable. I'm assuming this is in the transmission module, yes?

Matt

·
Super Moderator
9,364 Posts
I coded to 4200 as well and will thoroughly check it out on my way to work in the morning. :) This VAGging thing can be addictive!! ;)

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I use the euro coding on mine..it enables hill hold in high range...I personally find the shift points more aggressive (ie: just right) in D.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have noticed that the codes US and ROW almost have the same numerical difference between the two versions:

US 4153 - ROW 4136 = 17
US 4216 - ROW 4200 = 16

Both the ROW codes seem to enable "Hill Holder in High range"
The most recent codes seem to be more economy based as these give the feeling of running higher once you past 3rd.

My theory is that Auto 6 speed in the touareg has logic that activates the overdrive in what ever gear it wants. So the earlier coding may have activate the OD after a certain speed was acheived. While the new coding seems to have it activated earlier or all the time unless the logic tells it to decativate it.

I am now running 0004216 and what I have noticed is that car feels like fourth and fifth gear are higher and it does not down shift into third as quickly as before on deceleration. The other difference is that on steady acceleration after 3rd it feel like 4th and 5th are skipped and it selects 6th for a more economical cruising speed. verses running through all those gears on acceleration. I most use D so I have only been getting my impressions in D since it would be hard for me to tell the difference in S if there is a difference.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Bumping up this old thread...

Our truck came with the soft coding 0012326. That was the "euro" coding, paddle shifters, paddle shifters in drive, and hill hold in drive.

I was not happy with the hill hold function in drive. Using the stock USA coding + paddle shift code (0012345) works - but then the paddle shifters only work when the shifter is in the tip gate.

Let's look at the coding in more detail. The decimal number used in the coding is not what the computer is actually looking at; it uses binary. If you have ever done the Long Coding on a newer control module that will be familiar: bits are toggled to turn features on and off.

Let's look at the coding helper in VCDS:

If we convert this to binary, you'll notice something interesting. First of all, the paddle shift code +008192. In binary it is:
10 0000 0000 0000

So here is what I was able to figure out:

xx?x xxxx xxxx xxxx = paddle shifters. 1=installed

xxxx xxxx xxx? xxxx = hill holder in Drive High

xxxx xxxx xxxx xxx? = paddle shifters in Drive. 1=on, 0=off

The coding I ended up with is 0012342,

0011 0000 0011 0110

That gives no hill holder in drive, paddle shifters, and paddle shifters in drive :)

-Jason

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Don't have a clue what you're talking about . . . but well done anyway!

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Bumping up this old thread...

Our truck came with the soft coding 0012326. That was the "euro" coding, paddle shifters, paddle shifters in drive, and hill hold in drive.

I was not happy with the hill hold function in drive. Using the stock USA coding + paddle shift code (0012345) works - but then the paddle shifters only work when the shifter is in the tip gate.

Let's look at the coding in more detail. The decimal number used in the coding is not what the computer is actually looking at; it uses binary. If you have ever done the Long Coding on a newer control module that will be familiar: bits are toggled to turn features on and off.

Let's look at the coding helper in VCDS:

If we convert this to binary, you'll notice something interesting. First of all, the paddle shift code +008192. In binary it is:
10 0000 0000 0000

So here is what I was able to figure out:

xx?x xxxx xxxx xxxx = paddle shifters. 1=installed

xxxx xxxx xxx? xxxx = hill holder in Drive High

xxxx xxxx xxxx xxx? = paddle shifters in Drive. 1=on, 0=off

The coding I ended up with is 0012342,

0011 0000 0011 0110

That gives no hill holder in drive, paddle shifters, and paddle shifters in drive :)

-Jason
Jason.

Thank you for a quality and informative post. Excellent info.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
bringing up the dead.
I have this version:

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 09D-927-750.clb
Part No: 09D 927 750 BC
Component: AL 600 6Q 0585
Coding: 0004136
Shop #: WSC 00001 308 83448
VCID: 70C2CD8947691C2D0A-515A

I have a small hesitation from 4 to 5. I'm studying different options. The tranny shifts great otherwise.
I'm thinking of:
1. Updaing the coding
2. Updating the software id possible.
3. Getting a newer T1 TCM if there are no compatibility issues.
4. Opening the tranny up and replacing the faulty solenoids if I find out which one is causing this behaviour.

I also noticed that the tranny does this when hot only. Tranny temp is less than 90c so the thermostat is working ok. I plan on cancelling it on the next oil change.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts