Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got in my 2012 treg v6 yesterday, started it up and when I put it into reverse I heard a LOUD metal against metal CLUNK... it reversed fine and shifted into drive perfectly fine.. drove smooth all the way to work.. but now every time I put it into reverse from a full stop on a perfectly flat surface I hear this terrible CLUNK like the tranny wants to fall off the car.. any ideas or similar issues out there? Almost like a metal against metal grinding type noise.. sounds painful! I've searched the web high and low with no results with issues on these aisin 8 speeds.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Driveshaft wear?? It's a WAG. But maybe it's loose. No, I don't know why it would only occur in reverse, though. But it's something easy to check and it's free to look.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
So I got in my 2012 treg v6 yesterday, started it up and when I put it into reverse I heard a LOUD metal against metal CLUNK... it reversed fine and shifted into drive perfectly fine.. drove smooth all the way to work.. but now every time I put it into reverse from a full stop on a perfectly flat surface I hear this terrible CLUNK like the tranny wants to fall off the car.. any ideas or similar issues out there? Almost like a metal against metal grinding type noise.. sounds painful! I've searched the web high and low with no results with issues on these aisin 8 speeds.
Soinds familiar to me as that happened to my reg at the early stages of the transmission's death and clunked (thumped really) in reverse right up until it died. Transmission Diagnoatic revealed the reverse gear was actually not functioning properly. No more thumping after the tranny was rebuilt along with new valve body and torque converter installed. but definitely get yours checked out as it could be something else like a loose transmission mount.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Are you able to take advantage of the 100K drivetrain warranty in the US?

·
Registered
7 Posts

Do u find the issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a simmilar problem with my 2003 7L 3.2 V6 when in drive and the transmission changes dow a gear under load (acceleration or uphill). I can't fathom where to start looking (apart from the obvious the transmission). does anyone suffer from this and what have you done to remedy it ?

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
340 Posts
Can't see how reverse gear is failing first when it gets the least use?

Could it be low fluid level or wrong fluid or a blend of different brands?

Perhaps the previous owner has put it into reverse before fully stopped in the past?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have same kind of isssue with my 2010 3.0tdi(7P5). When the car is stationary and I pulled shifter from R to D,there is a sound (sort of clunk or knock) coming under the car, it is not a wag but I can feel it in the car. Apart from this it goes very well, shifting is smooth.

I bought it 3 weeks ago, and I m not very familiar with the car. So anyone can help me about that problem?(btw it has 290K KMs on it. I got it from a dealer, so I dont know what kind of maintanence done before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
340 Posts
Hi Mesut,

I applaud your bravery for taking a chance on a vehicle with 290,000 km and no known service history. Hopefully it has been routinely serviced and the service book has just been misplaced.

With regard to your issue, the common theme on this site seems to be worn valve bodies within the transmission.

Have you replaced the ATF and filter? It definitely needs looking at with almost 300,000 km on the clock.

I did a write up on how to change the ATF and filter on my 7L (2005) without VAG-COM and will add it below when I find it. It may be helpful to you with your newer model.

Here is the link...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your reply and the link.

I have got it checked up by vw mechanics before I bought, they said it had good engine and powertrain overall, and about tranny it shifted fine they said. (apart from that sound it has a good upshift and down shift on any speed)

I didnt recognise any sound or knock at firsrt (maybe I didnt pay much attention)

After I noticed the sound, I took it to 3 different mechanics, they all said it was not abnormal sound (or clunk) since it had torsen 4wheel drive.

So, do you think a tranny oil replacement could solve the problem?

Some say I shouldnt change the tranny oil since it is lifetime sealed. Some say if it was not changed before I shouldnt changed it since it has high mileage. So I dont what to do.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The valve chest issue on Generation 1 Touaregs (the T1 and the T2) normally rears its head with a slightly delayed 5th to 4th gear change under a light throttle opening at about 38 to 40 mph with the gear box down change normally initiated by a slight rise in the road.

"The Thump" is so pronounced you think the gearbox has just dropped out on the road!

There should be no clunk or thump when engaging reverse gear.

Regrettably I think your box may need a rebuild.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The valve chest issue on Generation 1 Touaregs (the T1 and the T2) normally rears its head with a slightly delayed 5th to 4th gear change under a light throttle opening at about 38 to 40 mph with the gear box down change normally initiated by a slight rise in the road.

"The Thump" is so pronounced you think the gearbox has just dropped out on the road!

There should be no clunk or thump when engaging reverse gear.

Regrettably I think your box may need a rebuild.
Hi TommiT,

It only occurs when the car is stationary, and when engaging from D to R it barely make sound (or thump). but when engaging from R to D it feels more. Anyway the box will be opened I guess, or at least an oil replacement is required.

Could it be a transfer box issue?
Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually when I wait on N from R to D it barely make noise (or whatever it is).

When I changed it quickly it feels more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts