Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about transfer case fluid

Actually this is my first post on this forum. Recently joined here.,
I have a 2015 Audi Q7 Prestige SLine with 33K Miles on the clock., the other Audi/Q7 forums are not very much active when it comes to technical/mechanical or DIY discussions.
However since Q7 is also the sister of the Touraegs and Cayannes., sharing the same platforms and parts, I wanted to check out here.

First of all, I really appreciate this forum and the users contributing their work in terms of commenting their experience and the DIY content they post.

Anyways, back to my Question on the TCase -
Noticed a minor oil leak on the underside of the transfer case., the leak was from the drain plug., which was also not very tight.
Suspecting a low fluid level, I went ahead draining the old fluid and replaced it with the Red Fluid (Ravenoil for Aisin Transmission/ATF Fluid). Which is good for now.

However the oil drained was definitley low (around 500 ml), while it actually takes 750 - 800 ml. and was dark grey to black in color ? Does this sound normal for a 30K mile vehicle ? I would have expected it to be much cleaner than this, especially at this low mileage ?

Thanks,
Ravi.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,280 Posts
Welcome fellow touareg/cayenne/q7 owner. :D

I would say that it is normal. The posts about fluid changes in the differential usually say that the oil looks used. No surprise there in my book.

Be 100% sure you got the correct oil in it. It can be tricky. Most of the info I have about fluids is for the older models that had both the mechanical high and low range.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/transfer-case-fluid-option-266713.html

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/drivetrain-fluids-2006-4-2-v8-146089.html

Make sure to check that drain plug in about 500 miles and then again at the next oil change to make sure there is no more leaking.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The oil in the transfer box is not ATF.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NickyT

Thanks for the reply, looks like Ravenol TF0870 is the right one, checked there datasheet and it conforms the VW G052 536 A2 specifications. The order is on the way, will be flushing it and replacing it this weekend.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
NickyT is right, we did recommend getting the right stuff in the correct 850ml bottle from the VW dealer, however it was only very recently someone identified the Ravenol alternative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NickyT is right, we did recommend getting the right stuff in the correct 850ml bottle from the VW dealer, however it was only very recently someone identified the Ravenol alternative.
By the way, here is pic of the old fluid. I thought it was too dark for 30k miles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Do you tow anything?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Well you're changing it anyway, so do the diffs as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah thats what I am planning to do. Take care of Tcase, front and rear differentials with fresh fluid as a part of my 35K service.

I may be inspecting the transmission fluid color as well. Do you know if it would be good just draining the transmission fluid from the drain plug and putting back the exact amount of fresh fluid back (measure and fill back method). Without opening the complete pan without replacing the filter and gasket ? Especially for my case where the mileage is 30 K ?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
oddly, when I decided to change all the gear/trans fluids in my 04' at 180k miles, it was as new as the day they put it in there. Totally surprised me; there was no need to change it at all, but did anyway since I had the stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts