Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i contacted VW garage yesterday about changing the transfer box oil on my VW touareg 2007 2.5tdi. Iv seen posts in relation to people doing this themselves. I was of the understanding my vehicle has front rear and middle transfer box?. However on speaking with VW to get a price for the oil they have said the drawing only shows one which is the front. Can anybody help
Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi i contacted VW garage yesterday about changing the transfer box oil on my VW touareg 2007 2.5tdi. Iv seen posts in relation to people doing this themselves. I was of the understanding my vehicle has front rear and middle transfer box?. However on speaking with VW to get a price for the oil they have said the drawing only shows one which is the front. Can anybody help
Thanks
Mine (2014 7P) has one transfer box in the middle and a front & rear differential. All easy to access for a drain & fill. Ravenol make all suitable oils & have a look up your car section on their website. It is such an easy job why not DIY?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks. So did you do yours yourself. Is the front and rear different oil to the middle as some posts have suggested.
Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi thanks. So did you do yours yourself. Is the front and rear different oil to the middle as some posts have suggested.
Thanks
yes did all three took half an hour. Used Ravenol products ordered online & delivered no need to go to VW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok that's fab I will have a look to see what oils I need as I'm assuming they will be a different part number to VW. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Make absolutely certain you purchase the correct oils. The transfer case NEEDS a specific ATF-like oil. The front diff takes 75w90, and the rear depends on whether or not you have a locking rear.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ok that's fab I will have a look to see what oils I need as I'm assuming they will be a different part number to VW. Much appreciated.
Enter reg into this and it will tell you the correct fluids. Ravenol is top quality & can be bought & delivered online. The transfer case is also used in some Land Rovers so widely available no need to go to VW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all that's great. Ravenol site really good told me what oil I need. Stupid question as not sure how do I know if my rear is a limited slip diff? As different oil for this.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Use your VIN and ask the dealer or go into the rear by the spare wheel. There will be a big white sticker which the build codes for your Treg. Or you can at the bottom of the actual diff on a flat side and the 3 alphanumerical code will be stamp there. This is something that might be hard to see though

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thanks all that's great. Ravenol site really good told me what oil I need. Stupid question as not sure how do I know if my rear is a limited slip diff? As different oil for this.
Check your diff control knob. If you have a rear diff lock position at 6 o’clock, you have a locking rear. If you don’t have the position on your knob, then you have a regular open rear diff

·
Registered
868 Posts
Reactions: Hampton52

·
Registered
2004 4.2L Touareg AXQ air suspension
7 Posts
I personally used Castrol 75W-90 for the front and rear differentials then Rock oil Tf-0870 for the transfer case. So far 3 months and all is good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts