Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Got a 2015 touareg r-line 3.0 v6 witht he 8 speed trans.

Now the weather has got colder, I seem to getting some gremlins sheltering from the cold in the transmission.

The car struggles to change from 3rd to 4th gear when cold and sometimes struggles from 2nd to 3rd too. It's odd because the dash display shows what gear the car should be in, but the revs are high and it certainly isn't in 5th or 6th gear.

I kind of know when this is likely to happen because about 10 seconds after setting off, I get a strange 'humming' noise from somewhere (guessing the trans). The hum lasts about 10 seconds and I never hear it again after that.

When the car is warm, the gear changes are fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Try a gearbox reset.

Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off and remove the key.

If no improvement your 2015 car should still be under warranty, so take it back to the dealer and arrange for them to keep it for a couple of days having left it parked outside in the colder weather we now might be getting.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Mileage? If over 50,000 you might want to try changing the transmission oil.

If this was a T1/T2, I would test the external ATF thermostat that is in-line with the external ATF cooler, but these were removed in the T3... so that can not be the problem in a 2015.

If the problem continues after the fluid change, you will need to determine if the valve body is going bad.

If your 2015 is still under warranty, let VW deal with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I've booked it in with VW. It was worth asking to see if anyone else has had similar symptoms. I couldn't find any after a thorough search.

Hopefully this won't be one of those circumstances that 'isn't covered by warranty'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same issue on our '15

Any follow-up after you went to VW? Our '15 was slow to upshift when tranny cold from 3 to 4 ever since the car was new. Took it back in '15, but dealer said no problem, so lived with it. Now with new emissions fix, when tranny is cold it will not shift from 3-4 or 4-5 automatically. Making arrangements to take it back. Once warm it performs flawlessly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I took the car into VW and told them about the symptoms. They did all their usual checks (so i'm told) including transmission fluid levels etc, and all looked good. I also asked them to check for any software updates. It turns out there was one, which they subsequently applied. After driving it though, i honestly can't tell any difference. It's still slow to change gear when cold and revs in excess of 3000rpm. Once its warmed up, it's fine.

On a different note, I started the car this morning and was met with a barrage of warnings - the first of which disappeared quickly before I could fully read it, but Gearbox fault was the first one! The second was either traction control or stability management, and the third was an issue with the stop/start system. I turned off the engine, turned it back on again, and all was well this time. I've just been out and started it again - no warnings.

There is obviously something underlying here...

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
On a different note, I started the car this morning and was met with a barrage of warnings - .
^^That is usually what happens when your battery voltage drops too low while the starter is turning over.

Yes, it is normal that if you let it run for as little as 30 seconds then restart, that the errors go away.

Either you had pulled a lot of juice out of your battery recently (without enough time for the engine to recharge it) or your battery is getting close to the end of it's useful life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@nickyt - That makes sense... I noticed when i got in the car this morning that one of the kids had left the interior lights on overnight. I guess that would explain that. I have a 60 mile commute to work so that probably gave it a good charge.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Yes. That would explain it. I have had similiar problems when I ran the battery down. After a good charge, everything is good again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
TK25 - thanks for reply. I can't bring myself to letting a cold engine rev to 3,000 to shift, so I manually help it and like yours, when it's warm, it's flawless. It's going in for a 90K service in a month or so, will see if they can do anything at that point. I have received the same messages since I've had the car. I've never run the battery down, but I suppose voltage is an explanation, not sure why - I drive the car every day, nothing can be left on with computer shutting off lights after a few minutes. Best of luck with yours - love ours, just wish the tranny would act as good cold as it does warm. Happy holidays.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still ongoing...

Ok, so I thought I'd wait a while to report back if the software update made any difference at all. Well, it would appear not.

This is a strange issue. The behaviour is exactly the same; upon cold conditions, the TReg has trans issues. Setting off is fine. 1st to 2nd gear - no problem, 2nd to 3rd - no problem. 3rd to fourth however... it seems like the trans (very quickly - barely noticeable) tries to go into 4th gear and then changes its mind and stays in 3rd, although the display on the dash says 4th. The display on the dash will then move up to 5th, but it still hasn't changed gear from 3rd. By the time I've covered approx 1 mile, I slow down to a stop, start again as normal and the trans will generally go through all the gears fine. It would appear that 'something' has warmed up enough to function properly after roughly a mile.

So... No idea what controls the transmission (perhaps a dedicated transmission control module?) or the main ECU, or even a whole host of other computers, I don't know. I dislike having the rev the engine that much when its cold. Given this thing only has 25k miles on it, i'm surprised by this problem, and especially that the first registered owner of the car was VW themselves! Maybe this is why they got rid of it? Not their problem anymore? Who knows.

Why the disparity between what gear the trans is actually in and what the display says? What controls the dash-based gear readout?
Why only when cold?

I can't find any other reports of these symptoms.

Time to book it back into VW for further tests.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Still Ongoing x 2

TK25 - exactly same symptoms as my '15 TDI Touareg. It is actually scheduled to go to dealer tomorrow am as I can't take it's poor cold shifting any longer, and the check engine light now is coming on after they did the US Emissions Lawsuit fix. Once the tranny is warm, it shifts flawlessly, but 3-4, and then 4-5, and with the indicator climbing to 5, 6, 7 but no actual shifting is exactly what mine is doing. I'll post if they come up with anything tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apologies! I missed your previous post - ok so there is someone else reporting the same issue :)

Yes, please do post any results! Hope you manage to get this sorted. Besides this trans issue it is a great drive.

Oh, another thing I haven't mentioned on here (and to be fair it has only ever happened once or twice) is that on a hill start, the trans fails to engage 'D' at all! I select the 'D' position with the selector and accelerate and nothing happens. Put it in neutral and try again then it works. No idea if that is related or not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My 2014 TDI also has these symptoms since the emissions fix. In addition, I notice it doesn't upshift to 8 until the water temperature is normal. If I engage the cruise control, the shifting is what was normal before the "fix". I suspect changes in the warm-up software.....
I should mention we have been having some very cold weather - highs in the teens and lows below 0 F.
I wonder if the "fix" can be corrected with VCDS ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
TK25 - I posted earlier, but it said the admins would post it after review, so I'll try again now and see if this goes straight up. The check-engine light was for the DEF/Ad-Blue heater failure which they have to order, but is covered as it was part of a VW recall, extended that warranty to 120,000miles I believe (have 84,000 on ours). There was also a code that said there was a communications failure between the transmission and cornering light wheel sensors. The Service Manager is not sure if that's causing the shifting issues, or what rfuss928 says that it's in the warm-up software that was part of the emissions fix. The Service Manger is researching, and will compare with other Touaregs prior to my bringing it back in for the Ad-Blu heater replacement most likely next week. I'll keep you posted....

In the meantime, while it's cold and not shifting between 3-4 and 4-5, I'll either keep manually shifting it or move the vehicle to the Florida Keys as it's not expected to be over 10degrees tomorrow and Saturday....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder what 'cornering light wheel sensors' are? That's a new one on me.
I wish I could move to the Florida Keys! I'm stuck in rainy UK :|

Well, I hope this fixes your issues. I'll have to get my dealer to check again for codes. I can't believe it hasn't even registered a light on the dash - but then again, we haven't had any emissions recalls in the UK yet.

I have also tried to shift manually when the revs get high when cold, but the flappy paddles on the steering wheel have no effect whatsoever - they don't change gear under these circumstances. Once a little warmer, they change gear fine then.

Thanks for keeping in touch. Hope the weather over there isn't as bad as the media over here is making out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The symptoms in the lower gears remind me of older automatic transmissions with "lock-up " torque converters. They would slip when stopped or cold but lock-up for efficiency when possible.
I don't know the details of our 8 sp
It bothers me when the indicated gear doesn't match the rpm/mph.... Eng/tran connection seems to be slipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Indeed, it bothers me too. Something's absolutely not right. Never know, wheel sensors may be the fix, although can't imagine why this would be temperature related.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TReg is booked in at dealers on Tuesday next week. Problem seems to be getting gradually worse. I'll post the results!
Warranty expires beginning of March :|

1 - 20 of 29 Posts