Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rather than me beating up the main thread further, I'll post an echo of latest conditions here. Good news is that its looking better - but likely to be somewhat different trails than we experienced - Cinnamon and Engineers both sound pretty beat up. Fun! Got 5 weeks before Rally - so much more plowing to come; and a large FJ event the week before. This slightly abridged report from SOA is a few days old -

California Pass - San Juan to clear after Picayune Trail
Corkscrew Pass - MUDDY and not passable on the Ouray County side. Repairs and clearing scheduled in a few weeks. OPEN on the Silverton side to summit.
Gladstone - OPEN

Hurricane Pass - Closed
Imogene Pass- Ouray County moved equipment to the base today. Clearing begins tomorrow (6/12) with expectations of clearing to at least Upper Camp Bird within 10 days.
Yankee Boy Basin - OPEN! Watch out for falling rocks and water run off as temperatures rise. Don't miss this trail as the falls are running through lots of snow.
Engineer Pass- OPEN!. ROCKY and ROUGH!
Cinnamon Pass- OPEN to Lake City! Warm temperatures are causing severe run-off on the trail. Single lane traffic is necessary on much of the trail. BE CAUTIOUS! Expert off-road drivers and high clearance vehicles only!
Ophir Pass -OPEN, Proceed with CAUTION on the Ophir side.
Red Mountain Town Loop -OPEN
Silverton to Animas Forks -OPEN! Lots of spring slide activity, so the road is has debris in some areas, but FUN!
Black Bear Pass - Closed
Governor's Basin - Closed
Maggie' and Minnie Gulch. OPEN below 10,000 feet
Poughkeepsie Gulch - Closed

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a place in the mountains (Fraser/Winter Park) and was up on trails on Father's Day but we still have a lot of snow at 10,200 feet and up. Because the temps are into the 70's that high, the 2-3 feet of snow is mushy and hard to get through. I never got up to Corona Pass because the trail was unpassable as you just dig into the snow. But in about a month we'll be better.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As of June 19, got an update from the SOA Jeep Site. On reading it, Imogene is clearing; with Engineers, Cinnamon rougher than usual. Corkscrew still a mess. Ophir shows caution. Many still closed. More fun/challenge than usual :)

Remember - Registration for the Rally is closing over the weekend - see other threads.

Here's the update.

California Pass - Clear only around to Animas Forks. California to Hurricane still CLOSED but being cleared next week.
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Corkscrew Pass - MUDDY and not passable on the Ouray County side. Repairs and clearing scheduled in a few weeks. OPEN from Gladstone from the Silverton side to summit.
[/FONT]
Gladstone - OPEN
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hurricane Pass -Scheduled to be cleared next week
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Imogene Pass- Ouray County is currently clearing. They expect to be at Lookout by the end of the week. Depending on snow pack below summit, Imogene may be clear by the end JUNE. Kudos to our Ouray County crew!
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Owl Creek Pass - OPEN, but very muddy at top with snow drifts.
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Picayune Trail - OPEN up to California
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Yankee Boy Basin - OPEN! Watch out for falling rocks and water run off as temperatures rise. Don't miss this trail as the falls are running through lots of snow.
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Engineer Pass- OPEN!. ROCKY and ROUGHER than usual if you can believe that! High Clearance, short wheel base vehicles recommended.
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cinnamon Pass- OPEN to Lake City! Warm temperatures are causing severe run-off on the trail. Single lane traffic is necessary on much of the trail. BE CAUTIOUS! Expert off-road drivers and high clearance vehicles only!
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Last Dollar Road -OPEN and beautful...although a little dusty!
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ophir Pass -OPEN, Proceed with CAUTION on the Ophir side.
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Red Mountain Town Loop -OPEN and MUDDY!
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Silverton to Animas Forks -OPEN! Lots of spring slide activity, so the road is has debris in some areas, but FUN!
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cunningham Gulch - OPEN to Highland Mary Mine
[/FONT]
Black Bear Pass - Closed
Governor's Basin - Closed
Maggie' and Minnie Gulch. OPEN below 10,000 feet
Placer Gulch - Closed
Poughkeepsie Gulch - Closed
Stoney Pass - OPEN! Be aware that Pole Creek is running very high. ATV's NOT recommended. High clearance vehicles use caution!
South Mineral Springs - OPEN to campground.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A blurb from The Hub in Ouray newspaper... 6/20.

Husband Pat says Dave Leonardi is working on the Imogene Pass road from this side and there is hope it will be open by the Fourth or before. So the only question mark is Black Bear. Oh, and this side of Corkscrew is still not passable, although you can get to the summit from the Silverton side. The Alpine Loop is doable, but going up Engineer from this side is rougher than ever, according to reports. Although off to a late start, the season may be a good one after all.

From The Watch in Telluride,
Colorado is working on Highway 550 Million Dollar Highway

The Colorado Department of Transportation is hard at work from the New Mexico state line north (mile markers 0.78-2.97) through the month of June, 7 a.m.-5p.m., Monday through Friday. Over Coal Bank Pass (mile markers 58.2) drivers can expect full stops with alternating one-lane traffic through June, and possible wait times of 30 minutes. Over Red Mountain Pass (mile markers 70-89) there will be one lane, alternating traffic for paving operations through August. Expect 20-minute delays between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Between Ridgway and Colona (mile markers 106-114), a chip-seal project is underway through July. Drivers can expect one-lane, alternating traffic and up to 30-minute delays from 8:30 a.m.-9 p.m., Monday through Friday.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imogene Pass Open! Repairs starting on Corkscrew.
Lots of snow on Imogene... Snow drifts on Poughkeepsie.

July 3 from SOA Jeep - Conditions (abridged)

California Pass - OPEN through, but icy at top.
Hurricane - OPEN, but very icy and slushy at top.
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Corkscrew Pass - CLOSED on Ouray County side for repairs currently underway.Expected completion... 10 days. However, OPEN from Gladstone from the Silverton side to summit.
[/FONT]
Gladstone - OPEN
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Imogene Pass- OPEN! Lots of snow on the upper elevations and absolutely SINGLE LANE only above false summit and Tomboy. Exercise extreme caution!
[/FONT]​
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Yankee Boy Basin - OPEN! Watch out for falling rocks and water run off as temperatures rise. Don't miss this trail as the falls are running through lots of snow.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Engineer Pass- OPEN!. ROCKY and ROUGHER than usual if you can believe that! Experienced, High Clearance, short wheel base vehicles strongly recommended.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cinnamon Pass- OPEN to Lake City! Warm temperatures are causing severe run-off on the trail. Single lane traffic is necessary on much of the trail. BE CAUTIOUS! Expert off-road drivers and high clearance vehicles only!
[/FONT]​
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Last Dollar Road -OPEN and beautful...although a little dusty!
[/FONT]​
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ophir Pass -OPEN
[/FONT]​
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Red Mountain Town Loop -OPEN and MUDDY!
[/FONT]​
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Silverton to Animas Forks -OPEN!
Cunningham Gulch - OPEN to Highland Mary Mine [/FONT]​
Black Bear Pass. -CLOSED
Governor's Basin.- ?
Maggie' and Minnie Gulch. OPEN
Placer Gulch.
Poughkeepsie Gulch.- Snow drifts still present towards winch point and around Lake Como.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
That's more like it !!! I wonder if they will get upper Yankee Boy open or if they let it melt on it's own time? Governor Basin will never get opened this year. Imogene will open up a little bit but I bet we will see lots of snow near the trail. My dogs will LOVE IT!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's more like it !!! I wonder if they will get upper Yankee Boy open or if they let it melt on it's own time? Governor Basin will never get opened this year. Imogene will open up a little bit but I bet we will see lots of snow near the trail. My dogs will LOVE IT!
Based on the way they describe the open trails - we'll have our hands full. Hopefully we'll get a few on-the-scene reports as groups begin to go up, especially the FJ National Summit just before us on the 16-20th. I plan to be meeting up with some of the FJ'ers Saturday night for some first hand reports; one of their organizers is just downstairs in the Alpenglow.

Yeah your dogs will just blend in :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some recent YouTube Videos finally appearing...

Engineers Pass - June 9 - Holy Snow Canyon Batman!

Camp Bird Road - not Yankee Boy - June 1 - snow out there..

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the "Official Photo Thread" from the FJ Summit now under way. Some pix of Yankee Boy on Pages 2 and 3, expect more to flow in rapidly...

2008 FJC Summit Photo Thread - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

I'll start adding photos from our Touareg Rally after I get in town on Saturday and get Internet up.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Here is the "Official Photo Thread" from the FJ Summit now under way. Some pix of Yankee Boy on Pages 2 and 3, expect more to flow in rapidly...

2008 FJC Summit Photo Thread - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
There's some updated pics on this thread. Imogene's looking pretty good. Someone mentioned it being 38 degrees at the summit. I wonder, could this be another shorts-freezing year for TREGinginCO? :p

Matt

·
Registered
591 Posts
Governor Basin Update

Just for grins, checked the Ouray Trail site today....Updated on Mondays.

It shows Governor Basin open!!!! Must have had a tropical heat wave at 11000 + feet or someone did a !##$$load of shoveling since Thursday a week ago!!!

To my knowledge, they dont send bulldozers up there.

?????????Makes you wonder, dowsn't it

Rick

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its been sunny, warm, not so much rain this past week. Monsoon took a hiatus. Could have been solar melt.

But does may one wonder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts