Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys -

I've got a 2008 V6 and found my inline 4 pin connector in the rear passenger side compartment where my 6 disc CD changer is. Every other tow vehicle I've owned already has the connector under the bumper already.

I'm trying to find out how to route my 4 pin connector from the inside to outside under the rear bumper. I talked to the dealer and they said they can't tell me how to do it unless I bring the vehicle into their service dept. I want to avoid paying them if I can do it myself.

Does anyone know how I can route the connector from the inside rear passenger compartment to outside under the bumper next to the hitch receiver?

Any advice that can help me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well the connector in that area is where the wiring harness would connect, the 7Pin would be the part sitting outside the truck, i'm assuming there is some type of grommet that we can use, try reading the OEM install manual sticky in the towing forum or looking for the video on youtube

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the connector in that area is where the wiring harness would connect, the 7Pin would be the part sitting outside the truck, i'm assuming there is some type of grommet that we can use, try reading the OEM install manual sticky in the towing forum or looking for the video on youtube
Thanks for the reply, quanva. I appreciate it. You're a genius! Being new to the forum I didn't know the self install stickie was there! I got the rear bumper removed, after the tail lights...way easier than I thought...and found the grommet leading from the right rear compartment to outside the vehicle.

Just to be clear, I'm not planning on towing heavy enough trailers that have brakes so I don't need a 7 pin connector, right? I can just feed the 4 pin out of the vehicle and under the bumper?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the reply, quanva. I appreciate it. You're a genius! Being new to the forum I didn't know the self install stickie was there! I got the rear bumper removed, after the tail lights...way easier than I thought...and found the grommet leading from the right rear compartment to outside the vehicle.

Just to be clear, I'm not planning on towing heavy enough trailers that have brakes so I don't need a 7 pin connector, right? I can just feed the 4 pin out of the vehicle and under the bumper?

No, it doesn't work that way, you have to have the OEM kit(rated 7700 pounds or the Aftermarket curt kit(rated 6000)

only the actual Vw module will work @ that location, tapping into that wiring you risk causing some pricey problems

So I assume you have NO OEM kit, are you installing an Af one?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry. I should have been more clear. I already have the hitch connected. It came with the truck when I bought it. Pictures attached. The black box in my rear passenger compartment is already connected to a 4 pin connector that has enough length for me to thread out through the hole and reach the hitch receiver. I'm not adding anything new but just utilizing whats already there. I just don't know if the 4 pin connector that was already in the vehicle is the connector I'm supposed to use. I would assume it is since there is electricity going to it for the rear lights/blinkers. I used a multi-meter to verify current is going to the connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The black box in the compartment is a Hoppy Circuit Guardian. I guess it protects the Touareg and tow vehicle from shorting out. I didn't install this stuff, but I'm hoping it'll allow me to use the lights on the trailer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
it looks like you have aftermarket wiring, esp saying you have a circuit thing in there, i dont have any experience with aftermarket..

I just placed the order for my truck (OEM) to avoid issues

that 4 pin connector is def AF, etrailer or Uhaul maybe..from what ive read most who use AF wiring grab the signal for the trailer from the taillights...Its possible that the wiring you have is from Etrailer, i would go on there website and see if you can match it up

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks so much for your help. I'll take a look on etrailer and see what I can find. Take care!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts