Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have been reading the threads about inconsistent trailer light problems and it seems that the primary issue has been with LEDs. I have three trailers, all with traditional incandescent bulbs and all three have the same problem with my 09 TDI..
*No running lights (at all)
*No right side blinker
*No right side breaks
I have the Pollack 7-pin to 4 pin adapter.
The really strange thing is that I towed all three of these trailers with my TDI for the last 6 months with no problem. Just the other day, while connected to the snowmobile trailer, I got the warning on my dash and now the problems noted above on all three trailers. I have checked all of the fuses - they are good.
I read in a couple of places that there has been a need to change the code (69?) from European to USA, but I would assume that if that been the case my system would never have worked. Is it possible for the code to reset itself back to European?

Really at a loss here...any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It sounds to me like a wire may have come loose or broken in your connector or your adaptor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any solution to your problem? I have the same thing happening to my rig. Tying to sort it out this weekend

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't call it a "solution", but what I have found is that if I have the vehicle running and the lights turned off (not in AUTO either) when I plug in the trailer lights initially....EVERYTHING WORKS. Addtiionally, once this "process" is followed, as long as I dont unplug the trailer I can turn the vehicle on and off as many times as I want....lights keep working. If I have the car turned off when I plug the trailer in intitially I get the warning light on the dash and the running lights and right side don't work. Before you go crazy pulling things apart...try this. I have no justification why it works, but it is working for me. Let me know how it turns out.

thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
For my view the power consumption is to high when u do all with LED's.
I got also problems with my T2 2002 and my ex Haulmark.
I changed some light back to old style and problem was gone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't call it a "solution", but what I have found is that if I have the vehicle running and the lights turned off (not in AUTO either) when I plug in the trailer lights initially....EVERYTHING WORKS. Addtiionally, once this "process" is followed, as long as I dont unplug the trailer I can turn the vehicle on and off as many times as I want....lights keep working. If I have the car turned off when I plug the trailer in intitially I get the warning light on the dash and the running lights and right side don't work. Before you go crazy pulling things apart...try this. I have no justification why it works, but it is working for me. Let me know how it turns out.

thanks

this is interesting!
My car developed this problem this weekend :oops:
I note when the lights were in AUTO mode, I lost use of my brake controller and indicator lamps on the trailer.
the trailer warning lamp also appears in the dash.

when I switched the lights to ON, I seemed to have everything working again.

I do have LEDs on my boat trailer, but it has been working perfectly fine for 18 months.

When I plugged the trailer up to my other car (Toyota Prado), it worked just fine, which suggests it shouldnt be the trailer at fault.....unless I have a bad return earth connection on the trailer and the VW is more sensitive to that problem than the Prado.

I might try another trailer during the week and see if the problem persists.
I might also try your suggestion of turning lights OFF before plugging in the trailer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Turning the lights OFF before plugging in the trailer didnt work unfortunately.
in fact it doesnt matter which setting the lights are on when I plug the trailer in, the results are the same when I switch from one mode to another.

I bought a tester today and can repeat the problem everytime.

Sounds to me like a warranty job for the dealer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the same problem, haven't been able to fix it. I've had the dealer and a hitch store check the wiring and didn't find any issues. Please share if you find something.

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
Please note that the tester will not show anything but erratic readings as it needs ot be under load.

I wonder if any T1s (i.e. prior to 2007) have this issue as well? If not it seems that there is something that pulling an excess load across your circuit. The T2s are unforgiving in that. Try by-passing the LEDs if you can.

siberian

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same problem, haven't been able to fix it. I've had the dealer and a hitch store check the wiring and didn't find any issues. Please share if you find something.
Believe it or not, the problem was solved by replacing a blown fuse (15Amp) in position 1, right hand side fuse box.

I dont get why it was working intermittently, but nonetheless the problem is solved now that the fuse has been replaced.

The Tester works fine too in all modes.

The opnly prbolem outstanding is that I havent been able to go fishing, courtesy of the crappy weather we have been experiencing lately. :mad:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Gentlemen, I am kind of jumping late in this conversation, but this post has come up as a search result for “trailer lights warning”. My 2012 TDI developed this problem on a way back home this Monday from Northern MN lakes – oddly enough - the right side warning only. Even more odd is that lights in both - Touareg and trailer - work perfectly fine. So, the issue is coming from the trailer wiring (old wires, extra load, whatever), but it is Touareg diagnostic system that gets overloaded and blown fuse is protecting it? The 15 Amp one in position #1 on right hand side? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
OK. So, you had no such problem since fuse replacement and it still works fine? Did you do anything with your trailer, - like changing wires, cleaning connectors, etc. or the new fuse was your only investment? How did you find out about this solution? Is this something that your dealer suggested? I mean, the VW Touareg manual has no information whatsoever as well as there are no fuse legend stickers inside three fuse compartments I am aware of? Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tested my trailer with my other car and everything worked fine, so I didnt change anything on the trailer as a result.
I tested the Treg with a tester plug and got the same result, so this confirmed without any doubt that the car was the problem.
I hadnt taken the car to the dealer yet - thought I'd try and narrow it down myself, rather than the dealer charging me for it :)
I checked the fuse box and found the blown fuse, replaced it, problem solved.
BTW, the fuse legend is in the manual

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Well, not anymore it is for the 2012 TDI! There is a description where to find fuse compartments serviceable by consumer (meaning the left and right console side compartments) and vague mention that there are more fuses in the vehicle (meaning those under the hood), but those are allowed to be serviced by an authorized dealer only. They also explain in girlish terms how to use fuse pincers and that is about it (by the way, there are no pincers that I was able to find on either side fuse compartment cover). The fuse positions are not marked at all and this leaves me wondering where the guilty fuse #1 should be (there are about 6-8 15Amp fuses in the right hand side compartment) – indeed if the fuse responsible for diagnostic of the trailer lights is still there and not somewhere else. So, probing each of the 15Amp fuses would be perhaps the only option I have - other than engaging VW dealer service technician. Thanks for the info – I might use it for nagging my dealer!

·
Registered
9 Posts

thanks
PLUS 1 for the "solution"! After spending about the whole day trying to get the running lights working on my new trailer... This was the SOLUTION.

FWIW: original situation. Trailer with no LEDs. Turn and Brake lights worked. Warning symbol and msgs about checking left and right rear trailer lights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem after a complete re-wire of my trailer and all new LED lights installed. I tried to get the adapter from u haul but none of the local dealers had them in stock nor knew what they were. The last one i went to sent me to a local trailer shop to get a set of resistors to install because of how little power the LED's draw, the treg thinks you have a bulb out. I installed the resistors (one for each circuit) and all is good. have towed the trailer a few times with no issues. \\:D/ Another trick i have heard people doing is to install an incandescent bulb into the system ahead of the LED's to add some resistance to the system.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I had the same problem after a complete re-wire of my trailer and all new LED lights installed. I tried to get the adapter from u haul but none of the local dealers had them in stock nor knew what they were. The last one i went to sent me to a local trailer shop to get a set of resistors to install because of how little power the LED's draw, the treg thinks you have a bulb out. I installed the resistors (one for each circuit) and all is good. have towed the trailer a few times with no issues. \\:D/ Another trick i have heard people doing is to install an incandescent bulb into the system ahead of the LED's to add some resistance to the system.
Buy this:
http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html
And be done with your LED trailer lights problem.
Run forum search and you find more info on the subject than you wish to learn...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts