Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The slickest bike racks are those which plug into a 2" square hole which is part of a trailer hitch assembly. Unfortunately, the "official" VW hitch assembly is a rather fancy affair which is really intended for use with a trailer. It only comes with all the fixings for that application.

Has anyone had any experience with the mounting of an aftermarket hitch that would simply expose the 2" square hole that is required for a rear mounted bike rack? What is involved in installing such a hitch? I notice that there is a sort of plug in panel below the rear bumper. It would seem that plug can be removed allowing the hitch to protrude to the rear. Beyond that I am not sure what is involved.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Do a search for information on the Curt hitch. Many people have installed them. tregcentral.com (a sponsor) sells them (and has installation instructions on their website). They are pretty inexpensive compared to the factory hitch but still rated for nearly the same towing capacity. The biggest issue is that you still need to do as much work to install one as the factory hitch. But then you can pull all sorts of trailers with it too.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Careful with the taillights when you install the hitch. When I spoke with the VW service manager he told me that the lights break very very easily when you take them out. It might be easier to install the hitch with out the wiring, but I am told it is still no piece of cake. Good Luck.

If you are looking for a bike rack for the hitch try the Yakima King Pin 2. It has worked great so far. Very Solid even when off roading and converts to a ski rack in the winter.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.