Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,

First time post. Thank you in advance for any advice you might have.

I have a 2006 V8. I recently had U-haul install a hitch and associated wiring/connector for a 7-round connection for use towing my travel trailer.

I installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 trailer brake controller having purchased the required parts from VW to assemble the wiring harness, which I connected to the plug that VW provides located up underneath the dash.

The controller display powers up just fine, though it won't acknowledge that a trailer is connected when one is. I threw a multimeter on the 7-pin connector that U-haul installed. Got voltage from the blinkers, brakes and hazards but no voltage from the blue and black connectors which are responsible for trailer brakes and output charge to the trailer batteries.

I took my Touareg back to U-haul. Now, they are telling me that there is much more involved than they initially realized from a wiring standpoint to get this setup to work. Some 12 hours of labor and tearing apart the front end to get to a particular wiring harness.

I'm calling BS, and am reaching out to the experts on this forum for any advice, experience or knowledge share related to this issue.

Thank you,

Mike

· Registered
1,060 Posts
You'll need the VW trailer controller. 7L0907383N is the part number I believe.

Reactions: Dreandi97

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Been there done that with UHAUL to. In the end I took it to a dealer (expensive but it works). There are two missing components and I am not sure UHAUL is up for the job: 1) The tow computer (from trunk right side panel, remove and look behind CD changer if you have it) and 2) The Treg needs to be coded to know that it is set up to tow.

I would go the proper route as the correct setup works very well by changing shift points, pulsing trailer brakes when ABS is active, uses stability program to counter sway and many other things.

I would advise you to stop dealing with UHAUL as they may be splicing into stuff they shouldn't as the tow computer is an integral part of this setup and it doesn't sound like you have one yet.

It will take the dealer 8 hrs, but no more. Drop off in the morning pick up in the evening. Now that they have done a few it might take less...depends what UHAUL did to your wiring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.