Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. I think I am about to push the go button on buying some smaller rims with A/T tyres to put on my V8 so I can do some light off roading. One thing I am aware that I have to be careful of is the tyre pressure monitoring system. Has anyone swapped wheels before. Did you end up taking the TPMS valve stems out of your original wheels and put them into the replacement ones? Or did you buy a second set of pressure sensors so that you could swap wheels whenever you felt like it. My preference is for buying a second set so if anyone has any tips or links as to where I could buy some, it would be greatly appreciated. Is there anything like coding required?
Cheers guys.

·
Learner
5,450 Posts
Good morning all. I think I am about to push the go button on buying some smaller rims with A/T tyres to put on my V8 so I can do some light off roading. One thing I am aware that I have to be careful of is the tyre pressure monitoring system. Has anyone swapped wheels before. Did you end up taking the TPMS valve stems out of your original wheels and put them into the replacement ones? Or did you buy a second set of pressure sensors so that you could swap wheels whenever you felt like it. My preference is for buying a second set so if anyone has any tips or links as to where I could buy some, it would be greatly appreciated. Is there anything like coding required?
Cheers guys.
g'day snerlo,
you have three choices, remove the sensors and install them in your new set of offroad wheels or just leave it in your original set or buy another set of sensors for your offroad wheels. fairly easy either way.

if you look up the other thread we have a member from canberra who's sold his v8 and selling his 18inch rims with good offroad rubber and sensors for 4k - firm price.

I have another set of wheels, 18 inch that I use on my V10 for the same purpose, but definitely more than light offroad :)

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'd like to try and keep the sensors in my standard rims just in case I want to put my 21's back on for a change. Just having issues trying to find out what sensor set I need to buy to put in my new off road wheels, that's all.

·
Learner
5,450 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to try and keep the sensors in my standard rims just in case I want to put my 21's back on for a change. Just having issues trying to find out what sensor set I need to buy to put in my new off road wheels, that's all.
same sensors as you have in your wheels now, i believe the sensors are same from 2010 -2015. They changed in 2015.

Quote your VIN to the friendly vw dealer for price and part number. I can look it up later when I am home otherwise.

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
same sensors as you have in your wheels now, i believe the sensors are same from 2010 -2015. They changed in 2015.

Quote your VIN to the friendly vw dealer for price and part number. I can look it up later when I am home otherwise.
Appreciate it greatly if you could help me out mate if you have the know how. Thanks alot. Do they need coding? Or do they just work with the car?

·
Learner
5,450 Posts
Appreciate it greatly if you could help me out mate if you have the know how. Thanks alot. Do they need coding? Or do they just work with the car?
no probs. I dont believe any coding is required.

Reactions: Snerlo

·
Learner
5,450 Posts
Best to ring the dealer and confirm which system you have
433mhz or 315mhz ie PR-7K3 or PR-7K4 respectively.
7PP907275F or 7PP907275G

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,082 Posts
I got my second set of TPMS sensors (later frequency for my car) from Ebay in Germany - about half the price of a UK dealer - advertised for an Audi Q7 !!!

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up buying through my local dealer as I rang them up and he had to go away and discuss with VW Australia support. Anyhow, cost me $118 or there abouts for the 4 new sensors. Just gotta wait now for my rims so that I can get them installed on the beast and start using it a little for light offroad work. Thanks for the advice. I know it is a little unusual but hopefully someone else finds it handy. Cheers.

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, what a cluster f$%k with these sensors. I got what I thought was the part from my local dealer after being told that they had talked with VW Australia to now being told as at a couple of days ago that it wasn't the right part. I basically paid $220 for 4 valve stems!! On top of that, I am now being told that I need to cough up another $280 odd dollars to get the correct 4 sensors and stems!! Oh yeah, they can't source any in Australia and they have to come from Germany and won't be here until mid January!! To say I am pi$$ed off is an understatement. Plus, I really can't be confident that they are even going to get the correct part or frequency. I am at my wits end on this!!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If you got them from the dealer and they sold you the wrong ones, wouldn't it be their fault??? I'd be raising a ruckus with the dealer that sold me the wrong parts!

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah, they know that they got me the wrong parts and will be refunding me the cost of those, it's just that the actual proper parts are costing an arm and a leg!!! I cannot believe how much they are but I haven't got any concrete part numbers to allow me to search on ebay and the likes. At least they warrant them that they will work so if it all goes pear shaped then it is on them. Just gotta suck it up and get over it I guess.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,358 Posts
I'm looking into getting some TPMS sensors for my 19" rims I'm setting up at the moment for the R Line.

Questions:
1. Does my car being a MY16 build alter the required specs for a set of 7P sensors at all?
2. Is there a difference in sensors for a V6 compared to a V8?
3. Apart from sourcing out of USA as per this link eBay has anyone found a suitable supplier here in Australia?

I would prefer to get 5 sensors, but will suck it up for 4 if that is all I can get.

I will check with a local VW stealership to see how much they will charge.

Thoughts (no prayers required ;) )

·
Learner
5,450 Posts
Hey Steve, I believe the sensors changed from 2015 onwards so worth checking to see and ensure compatibility.

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,358 Posts
Okaaaaaay,

ANYONE WHO READS THIS BETTER BE SITTING DOWN (you have been warned). For 4 TPMS sensors for my 2015 R Line, supplied by VW Australia -

$1687.00

:eek:

"Hello eBay...?"

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh that is crazy. I bought mine for my 2013 early last year and it was nowhere near that price. I can't remember exactly how much but they were somewhere around the $100 mark each for the sensor that goes in each wheel. Maybe they are quoting for the sensor that goes in the wheel arch as well!!
But it doesn't surprise me. I got quoted about $2,400 to change the rear brake pads on my 13 R-Line!! I asked to make sure that she was right and she was quite adamant that she was!! Needless to say I went elsewhere and went aftermarket.

·
Learner
5,450 Posts
Okaaaaaay,

ANYONE WHO READS THIS BETTER BE SITTING DOWN (you have been warned). For 4 TPMS sensors for my 2015 R Line, supplied by VW Australia -

$1687.00

:eek:

"Hello eBay...?"
Hmm, thats the price for T1 sensors... from what i read of another v8 owners post he got four for about $450.
I will have to check.
I guess you can use the sensors you already have then...

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,358 Posts
Hmm, thats the price for T1 sensors... from what i read of another v8 owners post he got four for about $450.
I will have to check.
I guess you can use the sensors you already have then...
The OEM 21" rims are staying intact. They will be cleaned, then stacked carefully in the corner of the garage to be used only on 'special' occasions.

I am now scouring ebay Europe and USA to check and confirm part numbers etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts