Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. Had the snow tires mounted today on the 2016 Touareg I bought recently. They are the same tires I mounted annually on the 2012 I traded in, and that worked flawlessly. This TPMS is not connecting, with no reading on any wheel, after driving more than 20 miles. The new OEM tires that came off are 265/50R19 (same size as on the 2012) , and the snow jobs are 255/55R18. The profile difference results in no or little speedometer error. The owner's manual refers to a recalibration which has to be made by VW service. Don't recall having to do that with the previous car. Is that the need to upload the car's database with an additional set of tires, even though the diameter is nearly identical? Or will it need to be done each time I switch?

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,343 Posts
VW changed the TPMS sensor from 2014-04 build dates - so you need the current type fitting - 5Q0 907 275 assuming that North American uses the same as Europe

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As above.

What percentage tread is left on those winters? If 50%,then they AND the sensors are due for a change!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Black Grouse. Can you clarify what "type fitting" is, as the code you reference doesn't appear to be a tire specification. In any case, sounds like something I cannot do myself, and a return trip to the dealer is in order. Do you agree?

Truchot
2016 Touareg TDI
2010 Jetta TDI

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think the code he has given you may be the VW part number for the sensor you need for each wheel.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Timely thread....I have a set of 18" HakkaR2s with 11/32 tread depth from my 2013.

Just traded in the 2013 on a 2016.

The TPMS reads -.-- for each wheel....just back from dealership who mounted them....

Does this mean I need to replace those sensors with new ones that are compatible with the 2016? I sure hope not, as those sensors were not cheap...oh well...the cost of progress...grumble grumble...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, unfortunately, it sounds like we both will have to do buy new sensors. Apparently, VW changes sensors generally every 2 years, with the last models valid for the 2014 and 2015 year car models. So my 2016 needs new sensors. The sensors are not cheap, but the install is big hit.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The battery in the sensors only lasts 5 years and can only be replaced by new sensors.

The current sensor went into build from 2014-04 and is due to stay current to 2017 - so 15-16 use the same sensor

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Timely thread....I have a set of 18" HakkaR2s with 11/32 tread depth from my 2013.

Just traded in the 2013 on a 2016.

The TPMS reads -.-- for each wheel....just back from dealership who mounted them....

Does this mean I need to replace those sensors with new ones that are compatible with the 2016? I sure hope not, as those sensors were not cheap...oh well...the cost of progress...grumble grumble...
Yes, you do. Bummer, isn't it? :twisted:

The megahertz has changed but from what to what I can't remember though I have seen it posted somewhere.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Ok, so shelf-life more like 3 years, good information. JimBuffalo(2013) and I (2012) are sensor shopping. Thanks much.
Not sure if I am speaking for Truchot or not, but I'll have some 1 yr old 2013 compatible TPMS sensors available for sale shortly!

Life moves on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe you can help ... ???

Hi guys,
You all seem to know your TPMS systems, so maybe you can help ....

I have late '06 V10 TDI altitude (T1), purchased August 2015.
I also have slightly corroded/oxidised alloy rims, so they gradually loose tyre pressure. TPMS would be very helpful !!!!

Should my car have TPMS as standard?
I don't know if it wasn't fitted, or if it's been de-activated at some time.
I have seen a few posts about removing TPMS, mostly by people who have reached the battery life of the sensors and don't want to replace them.
But I don't know how to check if mine had it originally.
Is it listed in the option code sticker in the spare wheel well?

Also, on RHD vehicle, where would I look for the module? Is it still left side, or is it moved over to the right?

Thanks in advance

Francis

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I don't think UK models had TPMS that far back. You can tell by looking at the tyres valves - if they're black "rubber" just like they always were then you don't have TPMS - if they're grey aluminium then they're TPMS valves.

You can buy retrofit TPMS kits - eg from Tyrepal, their basic kit is better than VW's as it monitors tyre temperature as well as pressure - I have a set with display on top of the dashboard and sensors on the caravan wheels (my car has TPMS as standard) I have a Tyrepal TB99, now replaced by the Solar 4 TyrePal Solar 4 | www.tyrepal.co.uk on offer at £99 which is what I paid for my TB99

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.