Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 5 months of driving TPMS-less winter wheels, I reinstalled the OEM wheels/tires, but the TPMS never came back. I've tried bumping the inflation to 50psi and then rapidly dropping them to 30psi in order to "wake them up" per instructions on a ross-tech website, but I've had no luck. The car has been driven around for about 1,000 miles so far without anything waking up.

When I pull up tire pressure on the central screen, I get a message that says "This feature not available" and when I try to get at it through VCDS, I get a "no response from controller" message. All the fuses in the panel on the side of the dash have continuity.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,197 Posts
The T4, using the later spec of TPMS, needs no reset/initialisation - mine detect the sensor pressures within 0.5 miles even after changing back from winter to the OE summers.

Sounds like you've some sort of system issue.

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
945 Posts
This sounds like a warrantable repair. Not enough miles/time to have dead TPMS batteries this soon.

Did you use VAG COM to mess with TPMS? Shut it off accidentally? "Feature not available" sounds very odd.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I never accessed anything in the TPMS system with VCDS. I had a hunch it was a dealer/warranty item, but that is a 10 hour round trip that I was hoping to avoid, plus another trip if parts have to be ordered.

I will make plans to visit the dealer and report back.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay everyone, time for an update. I brought my car to the dealer, who also was unable to communicate with the TPMS module. Consequently, a new TPMS control module was put on order.

Fast forward, and BAM! Seven short weeks later the module arrives. The dealer tells me that the module was installed and all is ok.

Reading the service order, however, I noticed the service technician notes that state "Removed the TPMS module and module is corroded. Connector housing and pins as corroded as well. Repinned connector housing and replaced J502 TPMS module."

After the above repairs and a module software configuation, all appears well with the TPMS. Voice command navigation, seven months later, not so much.

Here is my concern: Where is the TPMS module located and why is it corroded in addition to all the connector wires? It seems like something significant was unearthed, but it was left at the immediate sympton at hand. I have never replaced the windshield, but I cannot say it was never replaced before delivery. The car is less than 12 months old, by the way.

This is in addition to the ACC issue that continues to plague me, but to date has been undiagnosed by the dealer, and therefore is not an official problem. It all has me a bit concerned. Forgive the ignorance, as I have not yet purchased EKTA, and do not even know where the TPMS module or any of the ACC module(s) reside. Is it easy to describe, or should I invest in an official repair manual?

Given what little I read from the Service Order, I think this is worth more investigation beyond module replacement and harness repinning, but until I know a bit more about they possibility of corrosion at the TPMS versus other modules, I am at a bit of an impasse. I have no fear of pulling harnesses and connectors apart if this is the best possible solution.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The T4, using the later spec of TPMS, needs no reset/initialisation - mine detect the sensor pressures within 0.5 miles even after changing back from winter to the OE summers.

Sounds like you've some sort of system issue.
Can tpms be retrofitted to a 7P 2015 which didn't come with tpms? Ie buy the sensors and buy the receiver module?

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
Can tpms be retrofitted to a 7P 2015 which didn't come with tpms? Ie buy the sensors and buy the receiver module?
Doubtful all the necessary wiring will be there along with the stuff needed at the wheels to detect the sensors. Just carry a tire gauge and check them that way.

Reactions: jimreg
1 - 8 of 8 Posts