Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Considering buying 5 Toyo Open Country A/T Plus 255/55R18 for my '04 V10.

What will I use them for? 80% highway, summer, in Switzerland. HOWEVER, I will do a big trip through Eastern Europe, Turkey and the Caucasus this summer which makes me want good, strong tires with which I can potentially go off-road.

Pro's: relatively cheap
Con's: fuel consumption?

Anyone got any experience with them? Does anyone know what the difference is between the A/T Plus and the A/T II?

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello everyone,

Considering buying 5 Toyo Open Country A/T Plus 255/55R18 for my '04 V10.

What will I use them for? 80% highway, summer, in Switzerland. HOWEVER, I will do a big trip through Eastern Europe, Turkey and the Caucasus this summer which makes me want good, strong tires with which I can potentially go off-road.

Pro's: relatively cheap

Con's: fuel consumption?

Anyone got any experience with them? Does anyone know what the difference is between the A/T Plus and the A/T II?

Thanks!

I’m not familiar with the A/T Plus. But, I can tell you that the A/T II is a fantastic tire. It’s one of the more heavy duty tires around with sizing for the Touareg. For a tire with a somewhat aggressive tread pattern it is very quiet. And, they’ve performed flawlessly for me through deep sharp rocks, and aired down to 17/18 psi to take on the baby powder sand beaches on the south shore of Long Island.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks, N8. A little bit of a pain in the tush to get the caps fitted considering they were a bit smaller than the stock center caps. But, nothing a little electrical tape, and epoxy couldn’t fix. lol

And, thanks, VD. No. Not a tremendous difference. It’s definitely not what it was with the stock 19s. But, still very much in the same ball park.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I got the open county H/T two years ago.. Not a bad tire, it is heavy duty but poor performance in wet conditions...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If you have access to Cooper tires, try the At3. Fantastic tire, great on road and off.

Great through snow as well. Never an issue with these tires on anything. Make sure if you do get these you go for the LT version of the size you want.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
If you're 80% highway and might potentially go offroad I'm guessing you mean off-road as in roads that aren't paved.

IMO any of the AT choices are probably not the best choice if its on a vehicle that spends the vast majority of its time driving around at highway speeds. They can be loud and the don't necessarily have the best handling characteristics. You might consider something like a Conti DWS which gives you all weather traction, does OK on simple offroad and is outstanding on highway and gives outstanding handling.

AT makes sense if you're rock crawling or spending your time on sand/mud. If this is the case then I'm personally a big fan of the Toyos or the Coopers mentioned in previous posts.

Just my opinion, I'm not knocking anyone choosing to go with AT tires.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you're 80% highway and might potentially go offroad I'm guessing you mean off-road as in roads that aren't paved.

IMO any of the AT choices are probably not the best choice if its on a vehicle that spends the vast majority of its time driving around at highway speeds. They can be loud and the don't necessarily have the best handling characteristics. You might consider something like a Conti DWS which gives you all weather traction, does OK on simple offroad and is outstanding on highway and gives outstanding handling.

AT makes sense if you're rock crawling or spending your time on sand/mud. If this is the case then I'm personally a big fan of the Toyos or the Coopers mentioned in previous posts.

Just my opinion, I'm not knocking anyone choosing to go with AT tires.

I fully agree. The Conti DWS is an amazing tire.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Go with an AT tire like the cooper or Toyo. Even though you may spend 10% of the time off-road, from dirt roads to possibly more, street tires won't cut it. Might as well have the AT's in-case, plus they are pretty stellar on the road. Make sure to get an LT version though. I have no significant loss in MPG at all with the cooper At3. Love them in all situations from highway, snow, dirt and rocks. Plus they just give the touareg a better look. You know, the director of the TRD division of Toyota said, they build their trucks as hard core as they do for the 10% of owners who may use them in the way they were designed. I'd rather go out off-roading in AT tires rather than Conti DWS tires, regardless of how well they perform. I like those tires on my sedans.

Something to think about. You have all this machine but then want to put street tires under the whole thing? Get a second set of wheels too if you want slicks for driving highways. ;)

Go for the AT's. They are excellent! They are not very loud (at least the cooper AT3), more so that street tires but not so much that you can't deal with it. I hardly notice the tires making much noise.

AT's are for "all" terrain use, not rock crawling(of course you can try but...). I am not sure why everyone has to associate off-roading with rock crawling or the most extreme of off-roading, that's a whole different ball game and the touareg is not a contender in that division! For the 10% or 15% or even 20% off-road use you want to do, AT is where it's at. No need to go aggressive, that is why I suggested Cooper At3. It's a very civilized AT tire. Handles excellent and does what it needs to do off-road. One reason overlanders choose Cooper AT3 or BFG or General ATX is due to how versatile they are. Overlanders spend 80% of the time on roads but need the extra strength for both on and off-road use. Remember that most tires if not LT version barely can handle the Touareg's weight and PSI requirement. Stick with an AT. Many AT's like cooper are designed for road use and do a good job with it.

Have a look at:

General Grabber At2

Or ATX for a bit more of an aggressive tread.

http://generaltire.com/images/uploads/site/GrabberATX_OWL_Views_940x270.png

Cooper At3.

Cooper Disc. HTP (Milder on AT)

Cooper At/W (milder At for more winter but good tire for AT Use. Plus it looks good)

These all would do what you need when you need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts