Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Breezy, I couldn't help but notice your ball is quite dry (ahem). Looks like the chrome finish has been worn off by the hitch. Needs a bit of lube - a light smear of bearing grease and then a ball cover to keep so you don't get it on your jeans or leg. This will quieten it down too.

Pete.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's the dimensional drawing from mine, pretty damn cool they provide this.. other RV builders dont:
Ya this is great, thx for posting. Looks good for boondocking and uneven roads. Have never seen that brand, not that I’m an authority. We sailed lots of miles with our kids, and also camped a bunch. Never had a camper, but bought a ‘62 airstream several years ago. It’s 28’ trailer, w no propane on tongue. I used a Tahoe to bring home and it was the worst towing experience of my life. Which has been spent as a farmer, w Who knows how many miles of cattle, hay, grain, or machinery hauling.

It was white knuckle at times, flapped around behind me, all 4500 lbs of it. It just shows how important proper tongue weight and rig configuration are. I used gooseneck hitches and 3/4-1 ton tow or tractor trailer for most of my career, so I really haven’t used WD hitches.

So where’s the head on that camper? Set up a latrine outside or Porta potty?

Fun thread! You won’t regret Breezy. Some of our (and their) best memories w the kids are all crammed into a small space of sailboat. They probably would have loved a trailer in lieu of a boat at times.

Keep us posted!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Looked at the dimensional drawings, wow yeah that is significantly larger than an Explore. I think I'm gonna hang fire and see what it is they're supposedly bringing back next month, and make a decision then. Thanks @Cheoah, my kids do love camping for sure. @Crispy3 thank-you I will do that. First time towing so I didn't even know I needed to lube the ball (!) but it did strip it a bit when I was trying to get the hitch off, I released the lock but kept cranking the trailer up until it popped off. I was later told you need to crank it a little bit and then step on the hitch to loosen it off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
with air suspension it deballs itself, the moment I take any weight off the tow vehicle it deflates and jumps off the ball if your ready or not.

When uncoupling I leave the vehicle in gear and engage the parking brake.. this keeps the vehicle from settling in park and adding a bunch of tension onto the ball.. you should probably test your parking brake will keep it from driving away in gear first.

Reactions: breezy

·
Registered
270 Posts
lol, but it will hurt even more of you didn't chock the wheels, no way you can crank it down quicker than the bags deflate.. almost learned that lesson the hard way trying to set the tongue pad up before blocking the wheels.. didnt intend to disconnect the trailer then but I did.. thankfully it was flat and it didnt move but an inch.

Procedure is now block all wheels before even touching trailer jack.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well @dreadlocks, you made me do it. I am picking up my InTech Flyer Pursue tomorrow. Quite a change from getting a big 'stick & tin' camper for the same cash. I know it's much smaller than yours, but I can get used to towing and it fits in the garage, so saves me storage fees. And I'm getting a used 2020 at a pretty great price, so I can always upgrade if they bring back your tandem axle version again. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of InTech!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Hi Breezy, I couldn't help but notice your ball is quite dry (ahem). Looks like the chrome finish has been worn off by the hitch. Needs a bit of lube - a light smear of bearing grease and then a ball cover to keep so you don't get it on your jeans or leg. This will quieten it down too.

Pete.
I got some White Lithium grease today for it! Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A couple of related questions, related to my 2012 TDI

1. I have the factory receiver, But several hitches that I have attached all seem just a bit loose-- one from my Land Cruiser, one from Uhaul, a bike rack-- all the 2" things are loose on there-- is this per design? What's the benefit?

2. Is there a software upgrade/VCDS setting that gives me a center line for lining up my hitch? A friend's vehicle has this, and it seemed really convenient

3. @volkswagens-for-life I think mentioned that the Taxa trailers wasn't very good--in what way? I've never checked them up close, but they look like a really cool concept.

Cheers,
Ridwan

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
1. sloppy domestic receivers, you can get anti rattle bolt down flanges if its bothering you..
2. Yes, Open Parking Aid Module (#76) and recode it for towing, yours must not be factory tow package.
3. I rented a taxa for a couple weeks in Yellowstone for the Eclipse, too much money for what it is.. Fancy body is covering a flimsy chassis and suspension, would expect more with so much money.. Saw a thread on expo portal about a guy who took a new one to the arctic circle, he had to scrap it before he made his way home and get another trailer because the frame busted, think he got lucky w/insurance tho.

Reactions: rabitoblanco

·
Registered
833 Posts
A couple of related questions, related to my 2012 TDI

3. @volkswagens-for-life I think mentioned that the Taxa trailers wasn't very good--in what way? I've never checked them up close, but they look like a really cool concept.

Cheers,
Ridwan

Wasn't me, it was probably dreadlocks

Reactions: rabitoblanco

·
Registered
286 Posts
The factory hitch and ball is solid metal. It fits fine and didn't rattle on an 80 mile trip down the NJ Turnpike. Finding a hitch tightener that works can be an issue though.

1. I have the factory receiver, But several hitches that I have attached all seem just a bit loose-- one from my Land Cruiser, one from Uhaul, a bike rack-- all the 2" things are loose on there-- is this per design? What's the benefit?

Cheers,
Ridwan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I took a good look at Taxa and joined the owners group on Facebook. Seems to be LOTS of people having issues with the rivers busting. So I concluded too much money for what they are too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The factory hitch and ball is solid metal. It fits fine and didn't rattle on an 80 mile trip down the NJ Turnpike. Finding a hitch tightener that works can be an issue though.
It's the 2" square on the factory hitch that everything else is loose in.
I would think, for example, that the factory Toyota Land Cruiser hitch should at least have fit well--it's just some wiggle, but enough that on a small bump, I can hear a sound at the hitch, where the square pieces hitch/receiver were moving around!
Sounds like none of y'all have this issue, I wonder if the receiver itself might be defective... I recall it's on my build sheet, it's def. factory.

-r-

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah if Taxa made a nice fully welded aluminum chassis under it w/some nice torsion axles that actually have dampening capabilities they might have something worthwhile for that price point.. the one I rented was not that old and already had a bunch of rust under it, and someone damaged the roof on it.. the owner told me they wanted $10k for just that one panel, yeah nope.

I crawled under hundreds of trailers while looking for mine, the moment I poked my head under the intech and saw that beautiful workmanship I knew I found what I had been looking for.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Look up Hitch Vise. I bought one years ago and it works great. Eliminates all rattling from the hitch in the receiver.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

61 - 78 of 78 Posts