Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger and get a hitch installed on my V6 T2 with steel suspension. I'm sure there are plenty out there who tow in this configuration. What I would like to know is are there any aftermarket load assisting shocks or airbags for the Touareg?
Or does it not matter since the tongue weight is limited to 300 lbs.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The tongue weight on my T1 with steel suspension is 770 lbs. It says so on my factory tow hitch. Are you sure yours is 300 lbs?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tow using steal. I don't even notice it back there with 300 - 400 lbs on the tongue. The weight that used to sink my explorer doesn't even touch the T2.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've towed a *lot* of weight with mine, equipped with the steel suspension. Admittedly, I've hauled with max payload inside the vehicle, and I've towed with the max trailer/max gross vehicle weight. The suspension put up with everything, with only a barely perceptible amount of sag.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any more experience with same out there? I plan to tow annually 3k-4k miles with ~5000lbs (race car and trailer). I found a 04 V8 locally. Been looking hard for the right car with air, but this one with steel springs seems too good to pass on and the maintenance on the air has me spooked.

Will I regret it later buying steel later? Will the car be controllable and safe and easy to drive at 75mph?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just upgraded my trailer to an enclosed 7x16 tandem. I loaded it for a move from NJ to Florida. My T2 (spring) did well but the trailer turned out to be a lemon. Another story... The conclusion I reached was to install a Reece Straight Line Weight Distribution System with sway control. The trailer is still a lemon and I am changing out axles and brakes but the T2 is a champ handling that turd.
Pull the trigger on the T2 I love mine.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Tha'ts a first - someone calling their trailer a turd. LOL

:evil_laugh:

·
Registered
110 Posts
s1mpsons said:
Any more experience with same out there? I plan to tow annually 3k-4k miles with ~5000lbs (race car and trailer). I found a 04 V8 locally. Been looking hard for the right car with air, but this one with steel springs seems too good to pass on and the maintenance on the air has me spooked.

Will I regret it later buying steel later? Will the car be controllable and safe and easy to drive at 75mph?
I had a very similar set-up with 3,000 lb car and approx 2,000 lb trailer with my (then) 2004 V8 Touareg with standard steel springs. Used it for 6+ yrs without any problems. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts