Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you share your experience towing in Colorado (or @ a higher elevation) with T3 gasoline engine? I am curious how the it preforms with the 8 speed. Years ago, we had a Jeep GC with a V8 and it was a real struggle.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Bill

·
Registered
860 Posts
I see from you sig that you currently have a TDI, and you own a DMAX.

While I personally don't have any experience with a gasser T3, I can tell you that the towing experience with the gasser is going to be radically different than you're used to with your T2.

The turbo on your T2 is the great equalizer. It doesn't know or care what elevation at you're at. It's pumping air into the cylinders all the time, and that makes the vehicle think that it's at the same elevation all the time. That's an overgeneralization, but it's a good analogy.

While the gasser will "try" to compensate for that with fuel injection, it simply cannot compensate for the lack of air, like the turbo does.

Be ready for less power higher up, and be ready for a screaming engine all the time. If you pull with either your T2 or DMAX, you probably already know that the engine doesn't really "rev" until it's really being worked hard. Expect the gasser to be revving A LOT MORE, and expect it to be revving when the diesel would not be. The gasser will work harder, and sound like it's working harder...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Gas vs diesel is not a major concern, vs how the engine breaths. Without a turbo or supercharger you can expect to lose 30-40% of your hp/torque at the top of the higher elevation passes. I wouldn't want to tow a max load, but a 4000lb trailer would be manageable.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see from you sig that you currently have a TDI, and you own a DMAX.

Be ready for less power higher up, and be ready for a screaming engine all the time. If you pull with either your T2 or DMAX, you probably already know that the engine doesn't really "rev" until it's really being worked hard. Expect the gasser to be revving A LOT MORE, and expect it to be revving when the diesel would not be. The gasser will work harder, and sound like it's working harder...
CADman, We appreciate your feedback. Yes, we had a Duramax and 5th wheel in the past. It was quite the work horse machine. Over time most people upsize RVs and end up in a Class A. We are probably one of the few people to downsize. If you pull a fifth wheel any distance the cost of fuel can really added up. In the end our TDI and Travel Trailer has been perfect combination. We spend 60% less in fuel. In a trip with the Touareg would cost $900. The same trip in the truck would be $1600.

With some of the talk of buybacks, we have been revisiting our original decision to go with a Touareg. We have circled back to a Touareg. We did the right thing two years ago! In the end I think we will have a better than 80% chance to keep our TDI. Our travel trailer hangs in the balance.

You are totally right about the great equalizer. If we can't keep it, I was hoping to learn more about V6 gasser...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
PM me if you're interested in my very biased opinion of the 3.6L V6 gasser in a Touareg, not towing anything. Be prepared for some colorful language though. ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
CADman, We appreciate your feedback. Yes, we had a Duramax and 5th wheel in the past. It was quite the work horse machine. Over time most people upsize RVs and end up in a Class A. We are probably one of the few people to downsize. If you pull a fifth wheel any distance the cost of fuel can really added up. In the end our TDI and Travel Trailer has been perfect combination. We spend 60% less in fuel. In a trip with the Touareg would cost $900. The same trip in the truck would be $1600.

With some of the talk of buybacks, we have been revisiting our original decision to go with a Touareg. We have circled back to a Touareg. We did the right thing two years ago! In the end I think we will have a better than 80% chance to keep our TDI. Our travel trailer hangs in the balance.

You are totally right about the great equalizer. If we can't keep it, I was hoping to learn more about V6 gasser...
there wont be buybacks...for sure wont be treg buybacks...the 3.0 will likely just get an adblue ecu adjustment and you will use more adblue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just sold my 3.6 gas T3 for a TDI Q5. Kept the gaser only 3 months... gives you an idea.

Reactions: Oregon TDI

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Here is an interesting idea now that the Q7 has upgraded tow stats to 7,700 lbs: 2017 3.0 TFSI with 330 hp, and 325 lbs or torque. Not bad for a gasser 3.0 liter. The motor has two turbos and one supercharger (electric) if I understand it.

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-q7

I love my 3.6 T2, love my 4.2 T2 more for towing however. I guess it isn't for everyone. That said, with a growing family we might be kicked out of the Touareg someday..very soon even.

·
Registered
734 Posts
As tdimark69 said, nobody's taking your truck away from you!

Reactions: MtnPass

·
Registered
633 Posts
Can you share your experience towing in Colorado (or @ a higher elevation) with T3 gasoline engine? I am curious how the it preforms with the 8 speed. Years ago, we had a Jeep GC with a V8 and it was a real struggle.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Bill
Sorry for the late reply Bill - I've been off-net for a while now. Almost all of our towing is above 6,000ft. Anyway, here's a clip of our T1 gasser going up Wolf Creek pass with our 3500lb TT.
Car did just fine with it.

The toughest pass we've been over so far towing was La Veta pass heading west on 160. We were able to maintain speed limit but it was a pretty long climb. Oil and water temps were never a worry even though we were at nearly 5K rpms for 8 or so miles.

To calculate power loss for non-FI engines use this formula: HP Loss = (elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000. It's a definitely noticable difference in performance at 6000 feet versus 10000.

For FI engines Borg-Warner says “A good rule of thumb is that the turbocharger speed will increase 1 to 2 percent every 1,000 ft of elevation increase.” In real world terms this means the boost peaks higher in the rev range than it does at lower elevations.

Hope this helps. Don't worry about Treg gassers in the hills - they'll do just fine. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts