Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have a 2016 V6 gas and tow a 1017 Sonic 168VRB. It is roughly the same weight and tongue weight as what you are looking at. We use a Prodigy RF controller. We have had it 5 years on 3 different trailers and I love it. Plugs into the 12v outlet on the dash and has a hand controller. A sway bar is useful but we have not purchased one as yet. The SUV/Trailer combination tows well and is very controllable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my TDI specifically for towing, to replace a v6 Grand Cherokee that just didn't have the power I wanted to pull our camper, which is a 2013 Rpod 177 weighing 2500 lbs dry. I did a lot of research prior to the purchase to make sure that the VW was correctly optioned with tow package and would only buy one with the factory tow package. If you got a factory 7 pin connector in the back then the vehicle is pre-wired and all you then need is the pigtail to go to your brake controller. I am using a Tekonsha P3 which I mounted under the dash to the right of the steering column and it works well. A lot of sites talk about building your own pigtail but I found this guy on eBay that makes and sells them and it has been fantastic.

Pigtail: VW Touareg Plug and Play Trailer Brake Controller Harness Audi Q7 Porsche Cayenn | eBay

How to build your own: Tekonsha P3 brake controller on the Touareg
Also has good info on installing and mounting, specific to a Tekonsha P3.

I know some people are big fans of the wireless units, but I have also read a lot of horror stories of them burning up brakes, loss of signal when you really need it, etc.
Over 5 years using our Prodigy RF controller on 3 different trailers, 2 different vehicles with no issues. Maybe we have been lucky. I’d buy another RF controller without question.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts