Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
That is saying the hitch ball should not extend more than 6.16 inches OUT of the reciever, CL to CL. Looks like they want the top of the ball to be in line with the CL of the hitch pin hole plus or minus .562”. Wow, following those guidelines would make for a lot of uneven rigs. It really doesn’t make sense. Tow vehicle & trailer should be as parallel as possible for proper weight distribution and handling. Who knew. Peace

·
Registered
951 Posts
There is a Volkswagen specific ball height when under load and its something like 13-16" ball to ground

·
Registered
951 Posts
LOL

·
Registered
850 Posts
I was hoping for that feedback! It is set up just as Blue Ox says (a certain distance of ball height to ground) and I felt it was too high also. Thanks: do you know what the correct rule is?
FOR BLUE OX.
Trailer not connected to tow vehicle. LEVEL the trailer as perfectly as possible front to back. LEVEL!!!
Measure accurately to the top of the coupler, be really accurate. Important number (for example mine was 27 inches spot on)
Install the Blue Ox into the tow vehicle on FLAT GROUND. Install the shank onto the carrier, so that the TOP OF THE TOW BALL is ONE INCH or LESS than your measurement (for me, this ended up being 26.25 inches).
Now connect the trailer to the tow vehicle. The tow vehicle will SAG. Fine no problem.
Install your tension spring bars according to the Blue OX instructions, this is usually the 9th chain link from the free end of the chain. Once the spring bars are installed correctly, the trailer is either slightly LOWER than your original measurement, or near LEVEL.
The trailer should NEVER be nose up after installing the spring bars!! If you did the setup correctly, and the trailer is nose high, it means you may have the wrong chain link installed (way too much WD force, bending the bars too much) or the wrong weight spring bars The 750,1000,1500 bars are typical but it really depends on YOUR trailer tongue weight, which you should have measured before buying a BLUE OX system.

My trailer could be anywhere from 550 (empty) to 780 (LOADED to the max). For some reason, eTrailer recommended 1000 pound bars so that's what I bought. I towed like that for two years, but recently I bought 750 bars, and the difference is much better ride. It did feel stiff before with the 1000 pound bars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am towing a dry weight 5500 lb. trailer with my 2016 TDI. It has been no problem whatsoever. I use a Blue Ox anti-sway weight distribution hitch with a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller. The real difficulty was making my own wiring harness for the vehicle. This video was a godsend:
The yellow wires recommended in the video have been discontinued by Volkswagen and the parts catalogue replacements DO NOT WORK! The way their system works VW will tell you they have what's required in stock and automatically send you the replacement. Then you are screwed because they are very costly and some dealers will not take them back as they are a special order. You MUST order 000-979-220-E wires today to fit the plug 1J0-972-782. I am in Florida and called statewide as well as across the country with this problem. Hats off to Maund VW in Austin, Texas which was the only dealership to figure the problem out after brilliant and fantastic customer service from the parts department. View attachment 238801
Here is the new picture: thanks for the input.
20200802_104709_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nmooney, that looks a lot better. I have just ordered a 24' bunkhouse at 5400# dry. We did a test pull 2 weekends ago with a rental trailer of similar weight (though heavier on the ball). The WDH wasn't set up to my liking, but the Touareg did fantastic for the 6 hours I towed. She likes the DEF when towing!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
@nmooney that looks MUCH better. How does it ride now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not really pulled it yet. Next week I'll take it 3 hrs away and will advise. I also just put on 4 Goodyear Endurance tires which I expect will make a difference: look at these identical 2018 towmax st225/75r15 I took off, both properly inflated. Have you ever seen such a thing??
20200802_100646_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
951 Posts
wtf???? One on the right looks pumped way up w/ air and ~2" taller than the one on the left.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The right one has started to fail if both are inflated to the same pressure or one is mislabled as a radial tire when it is really a bias ply tire. Either that or the belt under the tread has failed.
As to the Goodyear Endurance they are already in pre-failure mode when delivered. I will say that I have never worn out a Goodyear tire as they usually separate well before that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I happened to be getting my tires rotated when I saw the tire pic. I showed to the guys there and they figure one is radial and the other bias, like redbarron55 suggested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am inclined to take RedBarron55's other option: that belts were failing. This because a third tire did the following at exactly correct inflation, 65 mph, leading me to replace the remaining three. I found a bubble on one plus the earlier shown discrepancy
20200802_100930.jpg

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
As an aside. The Goodyear Marathon tires were not good,being made in China and did not last,prone to tread separations and blowouts. The newer Endurance Goodyear tires are made in USA and are a very good tire. With both a higher weight and speed rating. Peace

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here is a quote from TDIClub's Forums by Brian (AKA Oilhammer) We agree about Goodyear.
You are free to disagree, But a lifetime of driving and experience with tires leaves me in complete agreement.

I have a coworker here who was a fan boy of them, and he eventually gave in after admitting it sucked to have to order in six at a time to find a decent set of four that would run true and balance out correctly. This was on his 2001 Durango which came with Wranglers as OEM.

One little known fact about tires: the tire companies that have agreements to supply manufacturers for new vehicles will sideline the "better" tires for that purpose. Meaning, when they do final QC checks, the ones that are "the best" get sent to whomever (Ford, Toyota, Volkswagen, etc.) to be placed on new vehicles as per their contract. That's why there are different paint marks on new cars' tires than ones for replacements, as well as in some cases the dealers get sent different grades of tires for replacements than do the aftermarket. Apparently, Goodyear is one of the worst for this, and they have lower standards for "not good enough for OEMs, but good enough for aftermarket". Which coincides with why I have seen so many replacements be sub-par even when the ones that may have come on the vehicle when new were at least acceptable even if not great.

So over the years, we've had to inform people of this, and the phrase "I told you so" gets called into use more times than I can remember. Because some people insist on replacing tires with the same ones the car came with, which in this case rarely results in the same level of satisfaction. And over the years, a LOT of new cars and trucks have left the factory floor rolling on Goodyear tires. Even a lot of Volkswagens.

The other end of the spectrum is Michelin, which to this day I have yet to see a bad new one (and I have put on a LOT of tires), and never, ever seen one that could be badged as defective. They also don't play the high/low grade game. If your car came with a Michelin tire from the factory, you can buy that exact same tire in the aftermarket and rest assured it will be of the exact same quality. But, they cost more. They should.

This is all coming from someone who has no brand name linked to my work, we have nobody's tire name on our shop, and no contracts with anyone. In fact, we make less money on Michelins because they never, ever seem to give retailers any special deals to move their product. Once in a while one of their lesser brands (BF Goodrich or Uniroyal) but even that is pretty rare.
__
oilhammer

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
OK! Wow, I was not aware of any of that. Very informative, thanks. I have had very good luck with my Endurance tires. I tow fast and they keep on rollin’ smooth and true, I do run with centramatics and have them machine balanced to start with. Peace

21 - 37 of 37 Posts