Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Touareg TDI LUX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the group, but recently bought a 2015 TDI Lux to be my daily driver and tow a 19 ft airstream. While I’m waiting on the airstream to be restored, I am trying to determine whatI need to safe towing. The TDI has the factory towing package installed with the 7 pin connector. I am reading I will also need a separate brake controller. I have also read Differing opinions on weight distribution anti-sway hitches.

Anyone out their towing with something similar? What is your setuP? I am concerned about taking it to the dealership and asking to install a brake controller. Dry trailer weight is 3900 lbs.

any help is appreciated. I have a few weeks to get the setup right before picking it up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a '16 TDI and went with a Redarc Tow Pro Elite. With a little preparation, installation is pretty simple. I installed the control head next to the light switch, but if I had to do it again, I'd put it on the center console next to the gear shift. I was gonna write up an install guide one of these days.

As to weight distribution/sway control... I'd say try it without, first. It is by no means dangerous if you're within gross and tongue weight limits. After towing, alot of things about the Touareg make much more sense.
The Touareg is a very stable towing platform. Not stable for a unibody, or for it's size- it's incredibly stable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m new to the group, but recently bought a 2015 TDI Lux to be my daily driver and tow a 19 ft airstream. While I’m waiting on the airstream to be restored, I am trying to determine whatI need to safe towing. The TDI has the factory towing package installed with the 7 pin connector. I am reading I will also need a separate brake controller. I have also read Differing opinions on weight distribution anti-sway hitches.

Anyone out their towing with something similar? What is your setuP? I am concerned about taking it to the dealership and asking to install a brake controller. Dry trailer weight is 3900 lbs.

any help is appreciated. I have a few weeks to get the setup right before picking it up.
Hi, I have extensive experience with towing - it is ALWAYS safer and advisable to fit a Stabilizer. If you have the standard Touareg tow bar the following "Tow Ball Master" attachment which I discovered on the Internet on Take-A-Lot will enable you to fit a decent stabilizer device.
IMG-20191023-WA0001.jpg

·
Registered
228 Posts
The first thing would be to dig out the brake controller connector behind the driver's instrument panel. The hardest part is to find it and get a connector or an adapter to fit it.
I would use a WDH with the 19' Airstream if for no reason other than the make the ride more comfortable.
The Redarc is fairly easy to mount and the control is not objectionable. I mounted mine next to the instrument dimmer on the dash. What I don't like about that location is that it is hard to see behind the steering wheel. If you have the patience I think a better place is on the console where others have mounted it.
I tow a 16' Scamp that weighs slightly less than 3000 lbs and the TDI tows it like it is not there. You should have no problem towing the 19' Airstrean. While the Touareg tows the Scam' fine without the light duty WDH the bobbing is less and the ride more comfortable.
The Reese Mini 350 I use has anti-sway built in as a function of the bars mounting with friction pads on the top of the trailer frame. This hitch is no longer available and is rated to 3500 lbs and 350 lbs hitch weight, perfect for my Scamp. One issue with the WDH is that they need to be chosen with the trailer weight in mind as too heavy a spring rate is not a good thing.
Your choice for the hitch, but I don't regret mine.
I rebuilt the Scamp to meet my needs as you should do with your Airstream. The 19' should be a perfect match for the Touareg and a great trailer for touring.
Enjoy your setup and your travels.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Your touareg won't even know a 19ft 4k lb airstream is back there

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am towing a dry weight 5500 lb. trailer with my 2016 TDI. It has been no problem whatsoever. I use a Blue Ox anti-sway weight distribution hitch with a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller. The real difficulty was making my own wiring harness for the vehicle. This video was a godsend:
The yellow wires recommended in the video have been discontinued by Volkswagen and the parts catalogue replacements DO NOT WORK! The way their system works VW will tell you they have what's required in stock and automatically send you the replacement. Then you are screwed because they are very costly and some dealers will not take them back as they are a special order. You MUST order 000-979-220-E wires today to fit the plug 1J0-972-782. I am in Florida and called statewide as well as across the country with this problem. Hats off to Maund VW in Austin, Texas which was the only dealership to figure the problem out after brilliant and fantastic customer service from the parts department.
20200710_165410_2.jpg

·
Registered
951 Posts
^Your trailer is setup way wrong too... damn thing is WAY too high up. Need to drop that hitch about 4-5", maybe even 6" in order to be configured properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
^Your trailer is setup way wrong too... damn thing is WAY too high up. Need to drop that hitch about 4-5", maybe even 6" in order to be configured properly.
I was hoping for that feedback! It is set up just as Blue Ox says (a certain distance of ball height to ground) and I felt it was too high also. Thanks: do you know what the correct rule is?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Volkswagen says ball to ground should be, I think, between 13-16". The trailer through the hitch should appear nearly parallel with the earth. Looking at this pic I'm guessing your ball is 17-20" off the ground.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think that the sticker on the side of the receiver tells you the max allowable height for the ball. The trailer definitely looks a bit high at the hitch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think that the sticker on the side of the receiver tells you the max allowable height for the ball. The trailer definitely looks a bit high at the hitch.
Thanks. As mentioned, I thought so too and hoped for some feedback from the photo. I'm checking whether I misunderstood anything with Blue Ox.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The real difficulty was making my own wiring harness for the vehicle.
I bought a wiring harness adapter that plugged into the (hidden) factory tow wiring for like $50 on ebay. It seemed well worth it for a quick and easy install. And I swapped in a Tekonsha P2 that was in my truck. Maybe something for the OP to check out.

In terms of the discussion about ball height, I think that is dictatated more by the trailer than the tow vehicle, although I'm sure there is probably an acceptable range for the vehicle as well. I think you just want to get it close to level, but just slightly nose down. I've been towing my Scamp with a 2" rise (3.5" drop receiver flipped) and it was mostly level. Planning to go to a 3/4" rise (2" drop receiver flipped) which should put it just slightly nose down. But I haven't tried it yet. I did tow it with that 3.5" drop last year. It was too low and road horribly, bouncing along as I went on my thankfully short trip.

I don't even like towing my little 16' camper. I can't imagine towing the monster pictured above. To the OP, I think you'll be happy towing that 19' Airstream.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I bought a wiring harness adapter that plugged into the (hidden) factory tow wiring for like $50 on ebay. It seemed well worth it for a quick and easy install. And I swapped in a Tekonsha P2 that was in my truck. Maybe something for the OP to check out.
Yup, did the same. That's definitely the way to do it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
In a perfect world, the tow vehicle will be parallel with roads surface and the trailer will be parallel
Ever vehicle, hitch and trailer will respond differently, naturally. Varying heights of tow vehicle. Varying load tonnage. Varying hitch styles. Lots of variables involved here. But the fact remains you want both vehicle and trailer to be as flat as possible.
Trailer slightly nose-down is better than trailer slightly nose-up for sure. Nose-down keeps the tow vehicle in charge. Nose-up keeps the trailer in charge. But you never want to be drastically one way or the other. Keep them level.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Guys, it’s the trailer that dictates the height of the ball on the TV. With the trailer on level ground and the floor of the trailer parallel, measure from the ground to the top of the trailer reciever(where the ball goes in). You want to then set the height of the ball on the Touareg to the measurement. Peace

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is however, a limit to the height of the ball. It is printed on the sticker on the receiver. When you plug in the trailer, it changes how the stability control works. I assume that the ball height has an impact on this. I have the ball set at maximum allowable and the trailer has a very slightly nose down attitude. I don't have a problem with this, as it has proven to be very stable in all conditions that I have encountered.
When I go down to the vehicle, I will get the max ball height number and post it.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
There is however, a limit to the height of the ball. It is printed on the sticker on the receiver. When you plug in the trailer, it changes how the stability control works. I assume that the ball height has an impact on this. I have the ball set at maximum allowable and the trailer has a very slightly nose down attitude. I don't have a problem with this, as it has proven to be very stable in all conditions that I have encountered.
When I go down to the vehicle, I will get the max ball height number and post it.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Interesting , I was not aware of that. I am aware of the requirement of the C/L ( center line ) of the ball to the CL of the pin hole in the reciever ,somewhere around 6” I think. It’s very hard to get with a WDH setup. I imagine the ball height is required on the newer models. I have an 07’ TDi and on my reciever is the max tongue weight, & max tow wieght , no mention of ball height. Peace

·
Registered
951 Posts
Interesting. That's stating to not use a drop hitch, which you mostly have to with these touareg in order to get the trailer to align right

1 - 20 of 37 Posts