Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just wondering if anyone has done any serious towing with their Treg in outback Aus. Looking for advice on towing through central Aus on dirt roads and more serious off road stuff.
Any issues, pitfalls, suggestions much appreciated.
To what extent can my 2013 V6 towing a 20’ van, compare/compete with a 200 series Landcruiser towing a 20’ van?
Thanx for the advise
Cheers
Greg

·
Registered
194 Posts
It depends on the strength and construction of your caravan. If it is a standard caravan I would suggest that you keep to smooth roads. There are plenty of abandoned caravans on the side of the road that have fallen apart from the corrugations and rough roads. If you intend to go on off-road tracks the best option is an out-back camper trailer, especially strengthened for bush travelling.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Landcruiser crowd are smug for a reason. For heavy duty, tricky work there is nothing to beat locking your diffs and hubs, plus low range, compared with the soft AWD option. The Touareg is very capable for most situations but if you are stuck in the remote bush, you may wish for more capability. Particularly, the Touareg may not be the best choice for towing in the bush.

There is not much Touareg repair capability in the remote bush, nor for the LC, but they would have seen more of them. Best to travel with some companions so you can help each other out if needed.

If you stick to the main marked roads, say Oodnadatta Track, Kings Canyon, Central highway there would be no problem, apart from the corrugations shaking your caravan apart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Murray, the van is off road with independent suspension etc - yes I understand it will cop a battering with the corrugations. My concern is the Touareg? I have a set of 18’s and plan to carry a decent spare. While all on the site acknowledge the off road abilities and the towing ability, I haven’t been able to find someone that has actually had one off road with a van.
It’s always horses for course and drive to the conditions - do I have the right horse?
Cheers and thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, just wondering if anyone has done any serious towing with their Treg in outback Aus. Looking for advice on towing through central Aus on dirt roads and more serious off road stuff.
Any issues, pitfalls, suggestions much appreciated.
To what extent can my 2013 V6 towing a 20’ van, compare/compete with a 200 series Landcruiser towing a 20’ van?
Thanx for the advise
Cheers
Greg
I have just completed 16,000kms on a Treg R line 2016 V8 towing a 21ft Jayco Silverline Outback, 2.7 tns, from Sydney to Kakadu, Broome, Cape Levique, and home via the Tanami to Alice Springs. Averaged 17 litres per 100 compared with 24 l per 100 reported by many of the ‘Cruiser drivers. Brilliant tow car. Tanami Road would have to be the worst in Australia, 1,000 kms of corrugated road from Halls Creek to Alice on standard 21” rims. Car and van performed beautifully throughout, despite an air suspension alarm going off on the Tanami. We didn’t lose a tyre until 20kms on the Dubbo side of Nyngan - lucky I had a spare rim and tyre to replace the space saver. Lucky we could get three new 21” tyres delivered overnight from Sydney in Dubbo. take care off road, and fit A/T tyres - my 21” rims don’t take A/T’s. Advice - know your fuel performance in a variety of towing conditions, and monitor rear tyre performance. Join VW Assist - great service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts