Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys:

I used my 2011 V6 T2 to tow a 21ft traveller trailer with an aftermarket tow hitch installed by myself.
The trailer dry weight is 3860lbs and the GVWR 5500lbs
On route, the RPM always stays between 2500 - 3000 and 4000 when uphill, is this something quite normal and bad for the engine?
Normally the RPM is only in between 1K - 1.5K without a tow.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Do you have a Generation 1 T2 or a Generation 2 T3?
Gas or diesel?
Are you towing in D or using Sport or Tiptronic?

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,107 Posts
Max torque occurs on your engine at 3200 rpm, according to Wikipedia, so you can expect the engine to run around that - lower on the flat but higher up hills - so it looks ok to me.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You are towing close to the limit for a gasser TREG. If you are driving long distances at 3500-4000 i would be uncomfortable with the wear and tear on the engine and transmission. IT will do this towing,the question is for how long. I have a TDI,so I see different engine speeds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are towing close to the limit for a gasser TREG. If you are driving long distances at 3500-4000 i would be uncomfortable with the wear and tear on the engine and transmission. IT will do this towing,the question is for how long. I have a TDI,so I see different engine speeds.
Curious to know, what is your TDI towing RPM average?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I tow a boat and trailer that weighs 5500lbs. On level ground doing 65 mph engine runs 2000 rpms. going up hills 3000-3500 rpms.depending on grade of hill. Rarely get up to 4000 rpms.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Hi guys:

I used my 2011 V6 T2 to tow a 21ft traveller trailer with an aftermarket tow hitch installed by myself.
The trailer dry weight is 3860lbs and the GVWR 5500lbs
On route, the RPM always stays between 2500 - 3000 and 4000 when uphill, is this something quite normal and bad for the engine?
Normally the RPM is only in between 1K - 1.5K without a tow.

Thanks
have you never towed before?? That's what happens when you put a load behind a car, the engine revs up and makes power. With RPM comes horsepower.

Also you mentioned installing an aftermarket hitch. I assume this to mean you don't have the factory tow module installed and programmed by Volkswagen do you?

Curious to know, what is your TDI towing RPM average?
I pull 5000 pound + 6000 lb loads somewhat regularly. Just cruising around town my RPMs shift just a tad bit higher than normal. I've also gone through the mountains holding 4000 RPMs for miles on end ( red line is somewhere around 5200 RPM on my car)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
have you never towed before?? That's what happens when you put a load behind a car, the engine revs up and makes power. With RPM comes horsepower.

Also you mentioned installing an aftermarket hitch. I assume this to mean you don't have the factory tow module installed and programmed by Volkswagen do you?

I pull 5000 pound + 6000 lb loads somewhat regularly. Just cruising around town my RPMs shift just a tad bit higher than normal. I've also gone through the mountains holding 4000 RPMs for miles on end ( red line is somewhere around 5200 RPM on my car)
Hi,
That was my first time to tow and it going to have few more tow trips before the end of the season.

yes, I don't have a factory tow module installed and programmed by Volkswagen, everything is aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tow a boat and trailer that weighs 5500lbs. On level ground doing 65 mph engine runs 2000 rpms. going up hills 3000-3500 rpms.depending on grade of hill. Rarely get up to 4000 rpms.
So based on the number you provided, I guess mine is a bit over the regular?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Hi,
That was my first time to tow and it going to have few more tow trips before the end of the season.

yes, I don't have a factory tow module installed and programmed by Volkswagen, everything is aftermarket parts.
I highly suggest, and I mean highly, getting the Volkswagen tow module installed and programmed.

A travel trailer is a very blunt instrument compared to a boat!
exactly, boats are aerodynamic... Campers are shaped like bricks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I highly suggest, and I mean highly, getting the Volkswagen toll module installed and programmed.
As you are mentioning to get the Volkswagen toll module installed and programmed. Do you have any links or some articles that I can read on it?

Thanks

exactly, boats are aerodynamic... Campers are shaped like bricks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts